Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:00 PM

23 posts, read 47,618 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are planning a visit to Chattanooga to see if we would possibly like to move there in the next several years. We are 27 with no kids (yet). We currently live in Boulder, and while we love it here, housing prices are unimaginable, and it is far from our families. We spent 5 years in North Carolina and really enjoyed it, and we have heard Chattanooga has a lot to offer. We enjoy spending time outdoors, especially rock climbing.

What should we do while in town to get a good sense of the city? Are there certain areas/neighborhoods to check out with moderate home prices? Ideally we would like to live close to outdoor pursuits, but not too far from the city. We both work in the field of education. It would be great to live somewhere with a sense of community where we could walk or bike places, or use public transportation. Also, I have heard very mixed things about the cultural/political climate there, specifically that some people are close-minded or unwelcoming to "outsiders." But, we have also heard there is an up and coming art scene and a lot of younger folks are moving there. Obviously it is not black-and-white, but coming from a place like Boulder it may be a drastic change. I realize most cities are not as liberal as Boulder (which is sometimes self-righteously so), but I'm wondering if we would find ourselves in a stronghold of hardcore conservatism in Chattanooga. We are both adaptable and can get along with just about anybody, but it would be good to know. Thanks for your advice!

Last edited by satori; 09-01-2012 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 02:39 PM

70 posts, read 212,144 times
Hello, satori. Yes, you are correct, Chattanooga is not going to be like Boulder. The older folks (my generation) will tend to be much more conserative, but, as you might expect, some of us welcome "outsiders", others may not. However, all-in-all, Chattanooga will be just like most other U.S. cities and you can find good and bad in any/all of them. Your quest to learn what you can about Chattanooga is admirable and a wise move on your part. However, you won't learn to truly understand Chattanooga in a few days visit (or, by the replies you get here). Everyone you contact, both here on this blog, and in person when you visit, will have a different perspective on every aspect you wish to know about. With that said, here's my 2 cents worth:
- Chattanooga is an old southern manufacturing town that has undergone several revitalization projects in the last 25-30 years (primarily in the downtown area). This has led to growth in the urban development of numerous neighborhoods in and close to the city center. The so-called "arts scene" you mention is probably the North Shore community (north of downtown) where a lot of 20's/30's-somethings have started to populate. Housing there runs the full gamut from up-scale condos on the Tennessee River, to 1920's frame homes in fixer-uper conditions. There are several other areas in and around downtown that are p[SIZE=3]redominantly young singles/young families. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] - Public transportation is provided by CARTA (check the web site) and bus routes cover a large part of the more populous areas of the city. The rates are economical. However, for full enjoyment of the city (and outlying areas) a car is a MUST.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] - Chattanooga is not a cultural center as would be found in a larger city. However, there ARE numerous cultural sites/events/activities found most anytime throughout the year. Unless you're looking for opera or Broadway shows, you should be able to keep up your 'cultural' requirements just fine. (Actually, we have had a few nice Broadway shows here from time to time.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] - Outdoor activities are a big draw for the area. We have LOTS of waterways and mountains to hike, bike and enjoy. You shouldn't have any difficulty finding a few big rocks to climb. The surrounding area (1-2 hrs) has everything from hang gliding to white-water rafting.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] - As for home prices, it's pretty much like buying a car...you can get just about anything you're looking for. Overall, home prices are some of the lowest in the nation (definitely lower than Boulder). New homes are running approx. $90-$120 per sq. ft., and pre-owned homes can be had for as little as $35-$40 per sq. ft. No matter what your requirements are, bargains can be had in most all price ranges.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Hope this helps somewhat. If you have specific questions, post them and I'm sure you'll get several replies.[/SIZE]

Old 09-04-2012, 02:40 PM

70 posts, read 212,144 times
Looks like the HTML on this site doesn't handle some keyboard characters, etc. very well. Sorry about that.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:53 PM

23 posts, read 47,618 times
Thanks Rick! I guess my main question was what neighborhoods would be useful to check out on our visit. We would be interested living somewhere with other young people and services nearby with affordable housing. We have cars so we won't have to rely on public transport, although it would be nice to live near trails for biking or walking.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:47 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,663,392 times
Oh, I think you're going to love Chattanooga. We moved here from South Florida five years ago. This town has so much to offer especially for those into adventure and the outdoors. Did you know we have more boulders to climb than the City of Boulder?

If at all possible visit here during the second week of October. That's when River Rocks takes place. You will be blown away at all the events that take place during this time.

As for hip, artsy parts of town, the Northshore is a great place to look along with parts of North Chattanooga for housing. Definitely check out the Southside too. Something special is going on their with an explosion of art and culture. The coffee house scene is thriving and there are a number of places around town to see live music (both inside venues and free outdoor events)

Another thing that's pretty cool is the collection of food trucks that are populating the scene. They seem to bring a cool vibe to the city.

Like any town, you'll find pockets of people who lean a certain way. There's no denying this is the South and the older establishments lean more to the right. I have found a diverse population that can appeal to most everyone.

Word of caution. 7 out 10 Chattanoogans will be wearing orange every Saturday for the duration of college football.

Hope that helps!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:30 AM

352 posts, read 880,738 times
As someone who has lived here all their life, I guess I dont' see the "unwelcoming" part. Especially in the last few years with the boom of people from all over the country and world , that have moved here.
Any part of town you move to, including outside Chattanooga, you will be close to everything to do outdoors, including Rock climbing, water activities and hiking. You can check out this great site for the outdoors www.outdoorchattanooga.com . If you want to do the up and coming neighborhood, the southside, downtown area. This is going to be the Creative, artsy area. Matter of fact, they are offering housing incentives to bring in arts people.

As your scouting, you will quickly learn what areas not to be in, lol. Guess those are everywhere. I actually think you can do a "crime" search on www.hcsheriff.gov. Also check out the cities web site www.chattanooga.gov and the county www.hamiltontn.gov

Enjoy your scouting trip, and I promise you, we are welcoming and have that southern hopsitality people speak of

Old 09-12-2012, 05:53 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,045,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satori View Post
Hello! My husband and I are planning a visit to Chattanooga to see if we would possibly like to move there in the next several years. We are 27 with no kids (yet). We currently live in Boulder, and while we love it here, housing prices are unimaginable, and it is far from our families. We spent 5 years in North Carolina and really enjoyed it, and we have heard Chattanooga has a lot to offer. We enjoy spending time outdoors, especially rock climbing.

What should we do while in town to get a good sense of the city? Are there certain areas/neighborhoods to check out with moderate home prices? Ideally we would like to live close to outdoor pursuits, but not too far from the city. We both work in the field of education. It would be great to live somewhere with a sense of community where we could walk or bike places, or use public transportation. Also, I have heard very mixed things about the cultural/political climate there, specifically that some people are close-minded or unwelcoming to "outsiders." But, we have also heard there is an up and coming art scene and a lot of younger folks are moving there. Obviously it is not black-and-white, but coming from a place like Boulder it may be a drastic change. I realize most cities are not as liberal as Boulder (which is sometimes self-righteously so), but I'm wondering if we would find ourselves in a stronghold of hardcore conservatism in Chattanooga. We are both adaptable and can get along with just about anybody, but it would be good to know. Thanks for your advice!

I love Chattanooga. It's a great place. It has a soul and the people are friendly. Imo those are two great things that give any city an identity.

When I have visited I have never noticed any types overly strong conservative (I am Libertarian) or close mindedness. It seems like a good healthy mix to me. I never spent much time in the suburbs, but I imagine that's where the more conservatives and religious people are. Which is OK, who wants everyone to be the same? And honestly, that's what keeps things going imo. Stop worrying about conservatism and all that. Enjoy the city, it's a wonderful place.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,692 times
I am a great lover of Chattanooga. As everyone has said before, Northshore is where you want to be to be in the young and artistic scene. Specifically, behind Frazier Avenue. While you are over there, eat at Taco Mamicita which is my #1 favorite restaurant!
I have lived on the South Side in a community named Saint Elmo and personally loved it. You have a view of Lookout Mountain (Rock City and Ruby Falls), an indoor rock climbing center as the center of the town and the incline railroad. The only issue here is that houses are not as nice, but they are affordable. I know from experience that Saint Elmo is about a 30 minute bike ride, to the middle of the city.
Be sure to check out Main Street (near the Choo Choo Building) Which is a newly developed area of Chattanooga with a really cool fair trade art store named Planet Altered and another of my favorite restaurants, the Bluegrass Grill which serves locally grown and organic food. One more must see is the Bluff View Art District. Great view of the bluffs, great Italian, great coffee and great art!
As for the culture and political climate, finding like-minded people here is easy!

Old 09-24-2012, 04:42 PM

611 posts, read 1,993,038 times
North Chattanooga seems to be the fit except for the "Moderate" Home prices thing. But the higher priced N Chatt homes are located in the Normal Park School zone. If you don't need that then you can get more house for the money and probably much newer construction. I can literally leave my home in N Chatt and be hiking on a mountain (not like the kind of mtn you are used to) in 15 minutes. Rock Climbing is only 25 to 40 min away (depending which mtn you head towards). Mtn Biking is only 20 to 25 minutes away depending on what flavor you like. Road biking is from my door. The waterfront is only 5 min away and you could launch a SUP or Kayak there for some fun. If you are in to power boating there is a ramp just 7 minutes away and others 10 and 15 minutes away. If you are in to white water kayaking the Ocoee is 45 minutes away (great mtn biking there too).

I guess the ultimate question is what do you consider "Moderate" pricing.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:23 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,068,326 times
Oh, funny, just spent Sunday in Chattanooga and my sister and I called it "Boulder WannaBe" and we did not mean that in a bad way. It felt a bit like Boulder but the downtown is more spread out. The funky parts are great fun - the dog bakery, the urban art, the independent coffee shops/restaurants - It's a cool place! And I've heard there's a lot of rock climbing there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga