Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,534 times

Advertisements

Hi there...I'm looking to relocate our family FAR from what we live in now. We are currently living in a small house in Orange County, with two children under 12. We so much desire a small town, with a friendly homey feel...where the people are warm and welcoming. (Not at ALL what it's like in OC) We would like to find a home somewhere outside of Chattanooga, 20-60 minutes away. We would love to find a community that is big on high school sports, and big on family. We would probably rent to start out, until we sell our home. We love the outdoors, and love the water in the summer time. Anything like that, out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 PM

70 posts, read 211,380 times
There's probably 20-30 small towns/communities that fit your "outside of Chattanooga" requirements. Most/all are active supporters of their local school sports and appreiciate family values. The 'homey' feel is somewhat subjective and what would meet my definition may not be exactly what you had in mind. I guess that's something you'll have to discover for yourself. The largest town (within the 60 mins requirement) is probably Cleveland, TN (Pop. 40,000+) and would be able to provide just about all services and amenities you would get in Chattanooga. As I said, there are numerous other smaller towns in just about every direction and any one might the right one for you and your family. Are you "just looking" or do you have a set schedule for relocation?

Old 09-11-2012, 08:51 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,651,603 times
Gonzo - Rick26 is right - there are a number of small towns in East TN that may be what you're looking for. One that instantly comes to mind for me is Soddy-Daisy, a town not to far from Chattanooga, it has a lake and a small town feel yet it's close to Chattanooga in case you want a little more.

That's just one suggestion, but a good start at the least. If you can provide more specifics perhaps others can chime in with other suggestions.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:03 PM

7 posts, read 14,992 times
Look at Soddy Daisy (about 20 to 30 mins from downtown and/or E brained-the main area in Chatt) and Ooltewah. Both are on opposite ends. Soddy is North and Ooltewah would be closer to the GA border. Both have plenty of subdivisions but also plenty of property for a more rural feel. Also, a little known fact is both of these areas qualify for a USDA housing loan, that is, Zero downpayment on a house

I live in Middle Valley, which is close to Soddy, about 5 10 mins, i must tell you if you are from CA, some of the people are totally normal, or wealthy or what not, but there is a lot more um, red necks in that area. Think good ol boys, hunting, fishing, more camo wearing etc. Ooltewah tends to be more wealthier, upscale crowd. Hope this helps LOL

Old 12-20-2012, 10:28 AM

352 posts, read 878,911 times
You could also check out Jasper, Sale Creek, Dayton....I think they all are big on high school sports. Nice areas, with acreage and close enough to water and other outdoor activities. You could get really rural, Crossville, Cookeville, Dunlap, nice areas also, but lack things to do for kids and close neighbors, if you want those.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:34 PM

7 posts, read 14,992 times
I agree with Blue-Dunlap is by no means convenient but BEAUTIFUL!! One of the prettiest areas around Very affordable housing too, just much further drive to jobs. Its in the valley, on the opposite side of the Mtn.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:27 AM

611 posts, read 1,989,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo435 View Post
Hi there...I'm looking to relocate our family FAR from what we live in now. We are currently living in a small house in Orange County, with two children under 12. We so much desire a small town, with a friendly homey feel...where the people are warm and welcoming. (Not at ALL what it's like in OC) We would like to find a home somewhere outside of Chattanooga, 20-60 minutes away. We would love to find a community that is big on high school sports, and big on family. We would probably rent to start out, until we sell our home. We love the outdoors, and love the water in the summer time. Anything like that, out there?
You might look at Apison. Beautiful part of the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga