Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:39 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times

Advertisements

My sister is driving her 17 year old daughter up to TN to look at colleges and will be in Chattanooga on the weekend. I am driving up from Nashville on Sunday to meet them for lunch. The only time I was in Chattanooga I ate at a diner which was fun but we're looking for something a bit more upscale, kinda 'cool' in downtown Chattanooga or I have heard there is a 'north' Chattanooga but I was never able to find it despite crossing the river several times. I think atmosphere is a tad more important than food but only barely. It will be around 1 or 1:30 this Sunday . . . any suggestions most welcome. Type of food doesn't matter too much . . . soup, salad, sandwiches, sushi, pizza, eclectic?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
North Chattanooga (aka the "North Shore") is generally considered to be Frazier Ave between Manufacturer's Row and Barton Ave. Lots of eclectic shops, galleries, and restaurants. There are additional shops some distance down Manufacturer's Row and also just south of Frazier (accessed from Coolidge Park).

Unfortunately, you'll have to get opinions on "cool" places to eat from other readers. Usually when I'm there I'm with my boys in Coolidge Park, and their idea of "cool" is pizza or chicken strips at the Northshore Grille.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:01 PM

340 posts, read 1,512,306 times
The hipsters are all about urban stack. Urban Stack Burger Lounge

Old 09-21-2012, 05:48 AM

21 posts, read 53,260 times
Urban Stack for sure. Also Terminal Brewhouse is right around the corner, and is also incredible. Both are on/just off Market Street in the Southside area around 14th or so. If you want to be more downtown (just on the southside of the river), go to the Blue Water Grille. Awesome Bloody Mary Bar, breakfast, lunch etc.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:15 AM

352 posts, read 883,490 times
If you want northshore, try aretha frankensteins. Downtown area, the Mellow Mushroom is always a good choice for pizzas. mellow Mushroom stays busy, very trendy place to go. Great pizzas! Both are on the web, so you can google those names and find their pages.

I did the urban stack, and although the atmosphere was great, the building is great, I wasn't impressed with the burger. Nothing that I couldn't make at home. Also, the dip, can't remember which one it was, was really bland. I was disappointed in such a cool place. But, that's just my opinion. It stays packed and is the latest trendy place, lots of teens/20's.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:26 AM

352 posts, read 883,490 times
Oh shot, I almost forgot! The Honest Pint! Great food, great atmosphere. I think they do the band on Sundays. Also, I have heard Hair of the Dog has a fantastic sunday brunch. I have eaten there and it was ok, I have not had the sunday brunch. I am pretty sure both of them are on the web also.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:59 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
Terminal Brewhouse always gets my vote...great food and atmosphere!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:48 AM

Just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions, insider knowledge. I visited a friend of mine's daughter who went to school up there for 4 years and the only place she ever wanted to go was Panera! I love places there are mostly just local . . we have a Mellow Mushroom down here, too, and it reminds me of the 60's . . . those were the good old days!

Anyway, I hang out on the Nashville board but just thought I'd try the Chattanooga board and you're all very friendly and helpful - so thanks much! Tough trying to impress a 17 year old . . . . and if I can't? Then I will please myself at that Bloody Mary Bar . . oh that sounds sooooooooo good!

Again, many thanks!

Old 09-23-2012, 06:59 PM

611 posts, read 1,998,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
My sister is driving her 17 year old daughter up to TN to look at colleges and will be in Chattanooga on the weekend. I am driving up from Nashville on Sunday to meet them for lunch. The only time I was in Chattanooga I ate at a diner which was fun but we're looking for something a bit more upscale, kinda 'cool' in downtown Chattanooga or I have heard there is a 'north' Chattanooga but I was never able to find it despite crossing the river several times. I think atmosphere is a tad more important than food but only barely. It will be around 1 or 1:30 this Sunday . . . any suggestions most welcome. Type of food doesn't matter too much . . . soup, salad, sandwiches, sushi, pizza, eclectic?

Thanks so much!

Greenlife Grocery now Whole Foods on the North Shore. Yup, lots of young folks eat there.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:19 AM

Thanks for everyone's ideas. We ended up at Urban Stack. Quiet but the food was very good! Then to North Chatt for ice cream . . . Clumpies . . (LOVE the dance steps in the sidewalks!) and a doggie bakery. The next day my sister ate at The Yellow Deli, said it was terrific. It was Sunday, so the town was pretty mellow - but really, from an outsiders standpoint, it seemed to be a cool little place! Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga