Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 09:14 PM

82 posts, read 244,590 times

Advertisements

Just got back to the frozen tundra this weekend. 13 hr drive! We did the some of the tourist stuff mixed in with some neighborhood investigations. To sum it up, signal mountain seemed like a really cool place to live. Is it much cooler in the summer, with the elevation?
Downtown Chatt was so clean and pedestrian and kid friendly. Things seemed like a good fit for us.
37 degrees right now...How 'bout them mighty lions????? Go pack!
PS we picked up some Tenn Vols hats and are wearing em proid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 02:53 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,348 times
FT - I must have misunderstood you. I thought yopu were coming down this week. Maybe our paths crossed afterall.

I can tell you there was a difference in temperature from being in Chattanooga and then driving up to Marion County - It may have been 10 degrees cooler, higher up. Glad you also had a nice visit, and the Bears are just horrible right now.Take your title now.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:42 AM

26 posts, read 120,231 times
Frozen Tundra,

We moved from Wisconsin to North Carolina 2 years ago. We work a lot over in Chattanooga though. (I happen to be there now) I meet a lot of Packer/Bear fans in this area, so you'll be in good company. Although I'll be a lifelong Packer Backer and love the Badgers too, we do wear the orange on Saturdays! The fans here are great!

I hope your move goes well!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:29 PM

361 posts, read 861,457 times
FT,

You would give up the cold/snow, nearly highest taxed state in the US to move to a warmer climate with low taxes where you get to decide what to do with your money instead of giving it to the state. Can't balme you. My cousin moved there from WI about 10 years ago he tried to move back to WI for his family but only lasted 4 months and headed right back to TN. We are fairly convinced that we will head there but it is 6 years away yet.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:12 PM

Stone1,
Timing is everything. We probably should'nt have recently visited. It just makes you yearn for the move. I could leave my job in 1.5 yrs and receive a reduced pension. Chatt Police deprtment is accepting lateral transfers for officers from other states. I just have to ask myself if I want to go back to 3rd shift after having a cushy day slot in plain clothes...And your right, we are a tax he..hole! And much too liberal for my family!

Old 11-02-2007, 11:51 PM

Frozen Tundra,

Sounds like we have the same line of work. I have one good thing going at this point, as long as I stay to age 53 I get part of my health insurance paid for, until medicare kicks in. My wages are probably less than most mid size areas but the insurance is a big thing now.

My cousin moved to Cleveland, TN about 10 years ago and said it was like giving himself a free truck (2500 HD diesel) as the cost of living was much less, mainly due to taxes.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:28 PM

Stone1,
That is interesting, similar occupations...I can leave at 50 yrs old. I get a reduced pension for pullin the plug at 50 vs 53, but we have negotiated half paid health care upon retirement. So, I've been hoping I could swing it with the lower taxes, maybe swap out comparable houses and not carry a mortgage and eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as our main meals! It has become a daily discussion at our house. I still want to work, but probably in a whole new field. That would be fun.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:28 PM

Must be the same work, I could leave at 50 with the reduction, unless the state would offer and early out but I have not heard any talk of it. If the state does not offer an early out, our contract says 53 yoa for any insurance, leave a day early and we get nothing. Since we are negotiating I should bring up the 50% at 50 we have not tried it. That option may help both sides.

From talking with my cousin who lives in Cleveland, TN it looks like if we had the same income down there it would be like giving our self an $8000. pay raise due to lower taxes and that was taking into account the higher sales tax that TN has.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:31 AM

611 posts, read 1,997,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen tundra View Post
Big question, can I back the Vols, Badgers and Packers?
Rumor has it there is a Packers Club that meets at one of the local watering holes. Tune in to Talk 102.3 (4-7). It's a local sports talk show. I've heard them talk about it there. Sounds like they have a pretty good time

Old 11-05-2007, 09:02 PM

Go Pack go! I have it bad in my family. I recently found a photo of my dad in the stands at the 1961 or 1962 championship game. That was a treat to find. So it is in my blood.
That there would be locals to cheer with would be way too fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga