Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 PM

21 posts, read 29,909 times

Advertisements

Hi! I know there are a million threads asking relocation questions, but I haven't been able to find the right ones for my questions... here goes.

We live in the East Atlanta Village, and are looking to relocate somewhere quieter with more outdoors options. We both grew up near water and in the South, and are planning a relocation to either Chattanooga, the Raleigh area, Decatur GA, or Asheville. Chattanooga remains the highest on our list as we like that there are still big city amenities such as the aquarium and restaurants, but that there's a townish charm to it. Both my husband and I work in the arts, and feel that Chattanooga has a strong arts community (tell me if I'm wrong) Also, the people might be the nicest I've ever met! The outdoorsy vibe is our biggest draw. We have two young boys and want them to grow up in an environment where instead of saying 'lets get in the car and drive to the park' everyday, they can just play outside in nature. We are also toying with homeschooling them, and are curious about the homeschool community within Chattanooga.

IDEALLY (and this may be impractical, please tell me), we would love to live near a body of water, in a smallish community, town or neighborhood (hopefully not a formal subdivision) with plenty of other families. We like to be very active in our community, so an area that had a strong sense of community would be great. Additionally, We walk and bike a lot with the kids, and hope to live close to hiking trails and outdoor activities. Would love to be within 20 minutes of the basics - Target, a farmer's market, the downtown, and a couple restaurants.

If you know Atlanta, we're looking for an East Atlanta Village or Oakhurst, but near water.

Hoping to find an older home with charm, in a neighborhood with old trees (really tired of our subdivision's young trees and no shade!) Doesn't need to be huge (3/2), but MUST have a large yard. Price range is anything under $200. Being able to walk to a coffee shop or little restaurant is a bonus, but not necessary. Access from the neighborhood to trails and water is a HOPE.

My questions are:

1- Are there a lot of homeschool communities in the area, and where?

2- What neighborhoods offer what we are looking for? We are planning another visit in a couple weeks... where should we go?

3- I've seen occasional comments online about the water in certain areas not being safe for swimming.. can anyone elaborate on this? We would want to get IN to water that we live near.

Thank you in advance for the help, and if you're still reading, thanks for sticking with this long post!

- hipster family of four

Last edited by theswirvings; 07-02-2013 at 08:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 06:47 AM

249 posts, read 659,673 times
I don't think you're going to find all the things you want. You can probably find a good portion of them, but you'll sacrifice some to get others. Finding a house close to water, 20 minutes from downtown, on a large lot is possible, but not for $200k. Maybe for $500k. Alternatively, there are large properties on the water for less than $200k, but they aren't close to downtown or amenities, and typically aren't "communities", but are rather spread out.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:54 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times
I read that as the OP wanted to be close to the downtown of the small community. I was thinking of towns like Kingston or Dandrige around Knoxville. Does Dunlap have an alternative type community? How far is the closest Target?

Old 07-03-2013, 03:55 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
Are you looking for big water for power boating (i.e., Chickamauga or Nickajack Lake on the TN River), or a little lake or river for fishing or human-powered boats (N. or S. Chickamauga Creek, Lookout Creek, plus any number of small private lakes), or a small creek for wading?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I read that as the OP wanted to be close to the downtown of the small community. I was thinking of towns like Kingston or Dandrige around Knoxville. Does Dunlap have an alternative type community? How far is the closest Target?
Thank you - yes! We would love to be relatively close to a downtown area. I will look into Dunlap - can you tell me more about it?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Are you looking for big water for power boating (i.e., Chickamauga or Nickajack Lake on the TN River), or a little lake or river for fishing or human-powered boats (N. or S. Chickamauga Creek, Lookout Creek, plus any number of small private lakes), or a small creek for wading?
We would prefer to live near a little lake, river or small creek. We want something suitable for the kids to play around/in, and that is good for swimming. That being said, we would not turn down the chance to live near big water... just realistic that it might not be as affordable.

Should have clarified... not looking for lakefront property. Would like to be able to walk to water. Bonus if there is a park/playground also in walkable distance.

Thanks!

Old 07-03-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithps View Post
I don't think you're going to find all the things you want. You can probably find a good portion of them, but you'll sacrifice some to get others. Finding a house close to water, 20 minutes from downtown, on a large lot is possible, but not for $200k. Maybe for $500k. Alternatively, there are large properties on the water for less than $200k, but they aren't close to downtown or amenities, and typically aren't "communities", but are rather spread out.
Thanks for the response!

I should clarify that we're not looking for lakefront living... just living close to water/nature. Also, by 'large yard' I mean something at least 50' square (ish). Right now we have a yard that is about 10' deep and our trampoline takes up almost ALL of it. So really I'm looking for more of a 'normal' yard.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:20 AM

Oh goodness - 50' x 150' is a typical city lot. That should be easy.

Sorry to detour you but you need to look into the Island Home neighborhood in Knoxville. Bike trail to a nature center, riverside park, big trees, families, active community, bike-able to downtown. Even a Montessouri school.

Old Sevier if you are more of an urban pioneer. Old sevier has a small (underutilized) commercial district and the city is developing a riverside park. Walk-able to downtown - restaurants, farmers markets etc.

Of course you could consider north Chattanooga as well but in Knoxville there is less separation from the water.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:45 AM

Oh and as for swimming - you may not want to swim in the TN river but people do. There is a boat ramp by Island Home airport that would be the easiest acess. The bike trail goes to Meads quarry - not legal to swim but people do. Swimming at Fort Dickerson quarry has been recently decriminalized. Not quite as convenient to IHP but still just 3 miles away. No bike paths but they are planned for the future.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:22 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,875,676 times
Thumbs up Chester Frost Co Park, beach

..S.: WELCOME. Dunlap is too far remote from city of Chatt. farming valley. You should be
able to find your piece of paradise just north of Rt # 153 Hixson , shopping malls. .Beautiful Hamilton
county camping , swimming park is called CHESTER FROST Park , prior thread here //www.city-data.com/forum/chatt...ter-frost.html. Large sandy beach ( FREE) has volley ball court & groomed by tractor. ! Desirable camping here also .. FREE day use & bike roads & easy smooth hike.
2) North of Rt #153 also near the dam is HAMILL rd , leads into GREENWAY FARMS park. LINK
here Greenway Farms Paved hike
trail here up to scenic overview of the quarry used to build the dam. many county activities happen here.
Mtn bike stuff & Launch for canoe trips (BLUEWAY routes) . Also know as the North Chickamauga Conservancy center, equipment rental here , dog park. LINK http://www.outdoorchattanooga.com/251.htm Not really swimming at this park, but lots of other stuff.

3) msg me if there is anything else to locate for recreation. Have been all over the county past seven yrs.

Last edited by SPLIT; 07-05-2013 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: extra link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga