U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 09:06 AM

352 posts, read 807,603 times

Advertisements

Just keep in mind, us that live here, can give you the best indication of an area that may show up as "high" crime. Usually, and most times, the crimes committed are against "each other" . Which, sad to say, doesn't bother me a bit. They keep it amongst the "thugs".
I do know, that drugs are a bad, bad problem.
So, if you are interested in an area, and really want to know about the crime, hit the forum up for answers.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 04:02 PM

334 posts, read 169,366 times
Yeh Blue, I hear ya on that. It's the same thing in Chicago, lots of murders on the south and west sides of the city itself, but it's usually gangbanger on gangbanger crime (good riddance). Except when it's not, though...we've had way too many bystanders (little kids, no less) shot and/or killed this year. Pretty sad. Either way though, I live far removed from all that. Worst things that happens here is, well, nothing really. Maybe once a blue moon, a domestic or some neighborhood kids doing something stupid. That's what we want wherever we relocate to, far enough away from areas where bad shtuff goes down.

So I got some answers on Red Bank. I really appreciate you guys chiming in. Big help. Anyone have something to say about Soddy Daisy? It looks good, kinda more out there, more elbow room. What's the populace like out that way? Mostly down country or your usual American suburbia? Or a mixture of the two? I heard someone say that it tends to be a bit of a red neck paradise out there. Me personally, I don't mind that, but my wife would. Any shopping there, or do the residents drive down to Hixson for that?

Old 08-14-2013, 04:09 PM

Btw, for those interested, I called Hamilton County dept of zoning. No concrete answers, but I got the gist of a maybe. The lot has to be big enough. The shop may have to be physically attached to the main home, and I can't have employees who do not reside on the property. In other words, this may actually work!

Old 08-14-2013, 06:26 PM

132 posts, read 169,929 times
Just remember, as far as zoning goes, there are always "pre-existing exceptions" to just about every rule they make. If you can find one that fits your plan, that's sometimes the best deal out there!

Old 08-15-2013, 10:03 AM

I love Soddy, I like the people. Most everyone i work with is from Soddy. Down home type people. Yep, they have their guns and dogs. Lots of elbow room, lots of great scenary. Good prices for homes and land, and they take care of each other . Fair warning though, everyone knows everyones business, sometimes it reminds me of the Amish Mafia show, lol.
Lots of places for sale in Soddy right now also.

Your wife will have to drive to get to shopping. She probably won't like the Hixson shopping district, she'll want to go to Hamilton Place area. But the drive is really nothing. Seems like its a way, but once your use to driving the route, it's not.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:21 PM

Oh, I got guns. And dogs. No worries there.

Blue, same question about Ooltewah and Harrison, what are those like? I guess those two would be a shorter trip to Hamilton Place, eh?

Old 08-16-2013, 06:01 AM

If you want to look in the Harrison area, you need to look past the lakes. The area is typical of Soddy, lots of elbow room, much less nosey, lol. I think the land and home prices are "typical" prices to high end. If you do a google earth , start at Hwy 58, go past Central High School and around the Lake Shore Marina area and beyond is a good looking point. On the opposite side is Middle Valley and Lake Site which are good areas also.
Ooltewah is starting to boom, I don't mind the area, and further out from the interstate you can find some great pieces of property, but again, you will travel further.

Both areas will be a drive for shopping. Ooltewah probably quickest to get to the Hamilton Place Mall area. But unless she does alot of shopping, nothings a big trip. Now, in the Harrison area, ya have a grocery store and gas stations. Ooltewah you will at least have restaurants, etc, etc.

It all depends on what convience you want to trade for elbow room and a homestead you want to make permanent. I live in the Brainerd area, lived here all my life. Most people wouldn't choose to make home there now, but i have never had issues. If i wasn't 15 minutes to every part of town and the interstate , i would move towards Soddy or Harrison, or Lake Site. I think that is because they have more of a "country" feel with neighbors looking out for each other like Brainerd once had.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 AM

Awesome man, thanks a bunch for the info!

Old 08-19-2013, 07:43 AM

You're welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga