Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,644 times

Advertisements

I currently live in MA and have been looking to get out of the state for some time. I disagree highly with the way the state has it's hands in every aspect of your life, taxes are crazy, and I'd like to move somewhere a little warmer. I've been looking into chattenooga and the surrounding areas. Any insight on the following topics are appreciated.

1. Myself and my girlfriend are pretty down to earth all American people and get along with people of various walks of life. That being said, ignorant dumb people irritate me just as much as privileged snobby people do. We'd like an area with a good balance.

2. I'm pursuing an electrical field and my girlfriend is in office administration. How are job prospects?

3. We don't want to live directly in the city, nor do we want to live in the boonies. We'd like a little land while still being relatively close to the amenities of a higher populated area.

4. We would eventually like to start a family, so I'd like to know how the schools are, not private schools.

5. How does the existing community treat it's new comers to the populace?

6. I ride a motorcycle, how well are the roads maintained in TN? MA is notorious for potholes and other poor road conditions.

I have many more questions, but this is a good start.
Thanks to those that respond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 06:34 PM

70 posts, read 213,422 times
Bikerguy,

I'll give you my 2¢ worth but just about anyone that responds will have something different to say.
Anyway, here goes....

1. Chattanooga has their share of "dummies" and "snobs". It all depends on your perception of just who those people are. You're going to find all kinds of people no matter where you go. How well you adapt is going to depend on you.

2. According to the latest BLS statistics, Chattanooga's unemployment rate is 6.8%...just about the national average. Finding a job in Chattanooga is going to be exactly like finding a job in MA...you have to get out and beat the bushes. If you're willing to make a compromise on what job you get, I'm sure you can find something to keep the bills paid while you look for something better.

3. Cost of housing (including land) in the Chattanooga area is going to be considerable less expensive than MA. There are homes with property in just about every direction outside Chattanooga. Kinda depends on your budget and personal preferences as to exactly what you can find.

4. Schools, in general, are decent. Naturally, you can find some better...and some not so good. And, again...it all depends on who you talk to. If children's education is a priority for your home search, I'd spend time evaluating specific schools in the area where you're house-looking. There's several resources on the web (and on this blog) to help with this.

5. If you're open, honest and respectful of others, you'll find that you won't have any problems "fitting in". (We've actually let New Yorker's move into Chattanooga, and you know how those New Yorker's are! )

6. We have plenty of "bikers" in the Chattanooga area so you'll be in good company. I'm sure you can find some "rougher" roads around the area but, in general, all our roads are in pretty decent shape. We just don't have the winter weather that destroys roadways like you might experience in the northeast.

Hope this helps..
--- Rick26

Old 01-20-2014, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,644 times
Thanks for the info, can you recommend any areas/towns within 30 min of Chattenooga? We aren't ready to own yet, but would be looking for something under $150k with an acre or two. Relatively new construction. We'd want to avoid the suburb atmosphere but still keep that small town vibe. I'm fine with apts for now, but the lady will want a home in the near future.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:21 AM

70 posts, read 213,422 times
Bikerguy
Again, just my opinion...

I believe renting for a few months is a wise choice. It will give you an opportunity to personally visit multiple communities and make a better decision when you get ready to make a purchase.

I prefer North and East of Chattanooga. I grew up in the Apison/Ooltewah area and tend to favor these locations. They would, typically, meet your "30 min to Chattanooga" requirement and I know there are housing opportunities there also. Get on one of the real estate search sites (Zillow, Trulia, etc.) and see what you can find.

---Rick26
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga