Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 12:42 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,100 times

Advertisements

I agree jwkilgore.

A balance of power and fairness seems out of reach for many things in this country with its polarized viewpoints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 01:06 PM

352 posts, read 883,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00lyb00ger View Post
Actually, it's not the unions or VW that put the brakes on the organizing of that particular plant. Some corporate sponsored outfit disguising itself as an organization that protects workers rights not to unionize filed some lawsuits that held things up. The frivolous allegations they had leveled against the UAW have been dismissed. And, whether you like unions or not, you should be thankful. Personally, I have seen the indifference employees have at places like Wal-Mart and the poor customer service that follows. And that comes with the territory when you pay low wages. I don't want anyone in that situation building something that I rely on so much and where the price for a worker's mistake could cost me my life, or that of a passenger in my car. But when you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Bringing those wages up to union scale makes those jobs worth holding onto. And in return you get a better product. It also means those individuals have more disposable income which is, of course, a positive for the local economy.

As far as turnover, yeah, it's not a good thing in any place. But constantly having a different employee that's not an expert on doing a particular job building something like a car or an airplane is even scarier. And their mistake could potentially effect thousands of consumers before the problem even gets noticed. Something to think about when you're loading your kids into the car.

Well, i am going to have to disagree with on some of these points, unless you can direct me to the factual links to prove different. The lawsuit was brought about by EMPLOYEES of VW who were DUPPED by the UAW, and the "corporate sponsored outfit" , commonly referred to National Labor Relations Board (NLRB)(which is no more corporate sponsored than, say, the UCLA, NAACP, etc,
see link here 8 VW workers file federal charges against UAW - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports
They were only dismissed because the UAW decided to go along with a secret ballot. Proof is also here, the UAWs own neturality agreement ...see page 3 ...http://www.no2uaw.com/uploads/2/2/0/..._agreement.pdf

I will also voice my opinion on the indifference of employees like at Wal-Mart. It's not just there, it's everywhere when you have a workforce that believes they are "entitled" to things in this get this quick world these people have grown up in. Everything has been handed to them and they didn't have to work for anything.

As far as territory for low wages, well, it's pretty cheap to live in this town. They are among the highest paid workers in the region .Paying people union scale may give them disposable income, but it would also come at a higher cost for those wanting to purchase the product. AND from my understanding, having a protected union worker who isn't or doesn't do their job correctly, doesn't insure that you are going to be safer in that car. It just means that worker is going to keep their job where someone else would get fired. Personally, i would rather have them fired if they can't do their job, then i would feel safer.
If i can find the link, i will provide the backup to this: From what i understand, VW employees would top out at $19.99 an hour after 5 years. This would then become the base pay. If they UAW had come in, they top would be $19.49 (after dues) and that would be in about 8 years time.
To most of us, $19.99 is ALOT of money, especially with work that is assisted with robotics. Production speed shouldn't be anything new to southerners, we are use to hard work.

Employee turnover, well, ,that's where VW is also on the cutting edge. Have you not seen the VW academy? Volkswagen Academy Engineering Partnership | Engineering Technology : Chattanooga State
They didn't have to do this, didn't have to invest , and damn sure don't have to pay for on the job training. BUT they do. Seems to me, it's alot of effort and money so they want to retain these people for darn sure, I would.

all in all, the workers voted and i don't think anyone on either side is giving them the credit to make this decision they deserved.

FYI, UAW is already breaking their neturality agreement, they are going after the NLRB, blaming them. Apparently the UAW doesn't consider the VW workers very smart themselves.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:00 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
I worked for two German companies during my career, about twelve years total. Neither was a union shop type of arrangement and I was not personally on the manufacturing side. I also owned a Passat for twelve years and a Beetle back in the day.

German's are very precise, very detail oriented and insistent on doing things their way. But, they are also open to suggestions for improvement, as relates to productivity and doing the right thing for employees. German auto manufacturers, but really in all of their industries are known for 'over engineering'. That is a net positive to me. That mindset gets reflected in their employee relations, in the sense of wanting employees to be happy, satisfied and productive. Their Works Council approach is the manifestation of the German mindset and approach to business.

Unfortunately, the UAW operates in a different mindset.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:09 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
If VW wanted a UAW factory they should have set up shop in MI.

Plenty of UAW bosses and workers along with unused factory space up there.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:00 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I worked for two German companies during my career, about twelve years total. Neither was a union shop type of arrangement and I was not personally on the manufacturing side. I also owned a Passat for twelve years and a Beetle back in the day.

German's are very precise, very detail oriented and insistent on doing things their way. But, they are also open to suggestions for improvement, as relates to productivity and doing the right thing for employees. German auto manufacturers, but really in all of their industries are known for 'over engineering'. That is a net positive to me. That mindset gets reflected in their employee relations, in the sense of wanting employees to be happy, satisfied and productive. Their Works Council approach is the manifestation of the German mindset and approach to business.

Unfortunately, the UAW operates in a different mindset.
I agree as I have done work with and in German chemical plants. They are very rigid about procedures, but are willing to consider things that improve efficiency and safety.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:31 PM

7 posts, read 8,607 times
Default Workers at VW make a good choice.

Hi all,
I am a bystander that must commend the good workers at the VW plant that rejected the UAW.

I am pretty sure that you did not want your fine town to be victimized by the union disease that bankrupted Detroit and many other cities like the ones in California. The Boeing union in Seattle made an attempt to turn Seattle into a diseased union sore on the U.S. landscape.

My work experience unfortunately has been in a managerial capacity where I have to barter with union thugs. Let me be frank, unions and their members simply want more to do less. Union labor works to the least common denominator where laziness and greed are the norm. Communism in a micro context. Shoot, if I were going to have to work in a union plant, I would find the laziest person there and work a little harder than the laziest person, thus I would work to least common denominator. What I would be doing is sawing off the limb that I am sitting on. Ask a union member if they want to work or make their labor and deals so cost prohibitive that the company moves to a right to work state, moves to another country, automates jobs, or simply shuts down the company. How stupid is that? Unions and their members are stupid.

I made the mistake of buying a GM product. The vehicle was a total piece of junk. The cost of ownership was very high and the vehicle was very low quality, which equates to low value for my hard earned money. I bought a car from a NON-UNION company which was built in a right to work state and the vehicle is very high quality and the cost of ownership was very low, which equates to high value. Union made products are made with the cheapest parts so companies can make some profit and still pay their union workers a very high wage and fund their ludicrous pensions. It is known that disgruntled union workers at GM actually sabotage the vehicles that GM created just to make a point. Like a little kid crying when they don't get a sucker.

Watch out Chatanooga, the union THUGS, "The Helpful Union Guys" will come to Chatanooga and beat you up to get their way. I see that they are actively harming people in Philadelphia to get their way. How dare you rebuke the wonderful unions! GM's problem wasn't the result of a bad economy, it was because of unions creating poor products and asking too much for them. Consumers are not stupid and want the most value for their buck.

If your VW plant in Chatanooga becomes union oriented, the quality of your products will plummet, sales will go down, and the company will go bankrupt. I for one will not buy a VW that is made in Chatanooga if unionization is embraced by the workers. Who wants a low value product that is produced to the least common denominator? The NLRB thugs will use your taxpayer dollars to bail out your VW plant. Either way, your VW plant will be much more secure and worth working for if you keep your plant NON UNION. The stupid Union thugs will rebuke my words here, not because I am wrong, but because I am right. If you want your VW plant to succeed, do not succumb to the union disease. Unions greed have destroyed Detroit with their unionization disease and they are coming to Chatanooga to look for a new host to suck the life out of.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:29 PM

155 posts, read 274,571 times
Default VW is in favor of the union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortoggie View Post
It didn't take a seer to see that VW would find a way to not let the UAW in. A unions major function is to restrain the excesses of big companies. Excessive executive salaries, excessive dividends to stockholders and excessive demands on the work force.
You can bet that other southern automakers have been quietly but persistently, getting the message through
to VW, don't do it; don't start a trend, keep labor costs low and production speed high. Speeds are set on the modern production line by how fast the robots can function. They know that the average worker can only hold up 4 to 6 years but by then there will be more workers ready to give it a try.
Those who quit after a few years, will leave without benefits and therefore no more cost to the company but with likely a cost to taxpayers.

I just read in the Sacto Bee that VW was in favor of the union, but the union lost the election by a small margin. The union is appealing to the NTSB because some political organization(s) put pressure on against the union.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:39 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
NTSB = Nation Transportation Safety Board. (Investigates Transportation accidents)

NLRB = National Labor Relations Board - Is who they are appealing to (they do every time they lose a election).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
View detailed profiles of: