Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,561 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

We're from Florida, we're planning on heading to Atlanta in 2 weeks. We wanted to take a day trip to Chattanooga, would anyone happen to have any suggestions as to what we could do to fill the day?
Any cool sites we can stop at on our way to or from? We only have planned to go to Lookout Mountain and Ruby Falls and maybe grab some breakfast at Maple Street Biscuits and Lunch at Uncle Larry's. These aren't set in stone but places we've found researching online. We'd love some suggestions from people who've actually been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 02:02 PM

41 posts, read 100,849 times
The Aquarium is the best....

Old 01-11-2016, 03:20 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
Interests? Chattanooga has a little bit of everything...

Civil War, Rock Climbing, Trains, Engineering marvels, Views, Moon Pie History, Modern Art...

Personally, I always recommend driving to St. Elmo, riding the Incline Railway to the top, then walking the few blocks to Point Park on the Chattanooga/Chickamauga National Military Park for awesome views of Chattanooga.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:48 PM

320 posts, read 540,372 times
The downtown area in general has lots to do. Very walkable and safe. I definately reccommend the aquarium and rock city though. You can skip ruby falls.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:54 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llsmith42 View Post
The downtown area in general has lots to do. Very walkable and safe. I definately reccommend the aquarium and rock city though. You can skip ruby falls.
I agree....skip Ruby Falls....

Old 01-13-2016, 09:28 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
If you are into Civil War history, I suggest stopping off at Kennesaw Mountain and Chickamauga battlefields. Then driving along Missionary Ridge, where today fine homes stand, the battle was fought. There are large tablets commemorating the Battalions that fought along the ridge. Stunning views from there too.

The Biscuits are a good idea... although I have not eaten there. Many in my family have and have enjoyed them. Walk around the North Shore if you decide to stay for lunch. Foodworks is a good place. As is Taco Mamacitas. On the south side (the side of downtown closer to Lookout Mountain), there is a brewpub next door to Chattanooga Choo Choo. There is also a rather relaxed sort of place called Clyde's on Main. While it's mostly pub-type food, it is well done. Then there are several other places for lunch you might like. My favorite is the Southern Star on Broad Street, south of the TVA complex. It's simple Southern comfort food. One block behind it is the Urban Stack burger place, located in an old Baggage Depot for the Southern RR. Just down Market Street from there is the Public House restaurant, which is one of my top-3 dinner places.

The touristy places on Lookout are a "must do" for a first time visitor, although I should probably warn you that they are pretty kitschy... especially Rock City (but you "gotta" do that one because of all the barns around the country). Ruby Falls is interesting, but it's a cave... they do turn off the lights and the falls are very pretty when they are illuminated from behind. It's also quite deep in the mountain (you have to take an elevator), and the story of how the Falls were discovered is quite interesting. The Incline is just a legend in this region.. so it's a must-do also. At the foot of The Incline is a pretty decent little restaurant called 1889. At the top of the Incline, if you walk down the street to Point Park, you can get some of the best views around.

If you are interested in the TVA projects, there are lots of them around here. One of the most intriguing to me is the Raccoon Mountain power plant, which is a manmade reservoir at the top of the mountain, that uses gravity to turn the turbines to generate power. Water is pumped to the reservoir every 90 minutes, then spillways are open to turn the turbines. There is also Chickamauga dam and the Chattanooga Riverwalk that extends from downtown, northeast along the Tennessee River. You can also see the very real, and in most cases, still very much operable connections of the city to the railroad that brought growth and prosperity to the city.

The Bluffview Arts District, while small, is a great area to explore by foot. You can start there and wander the district... head over past the Hunter Museum, and then walk across the Walnut Street bridge (Pedestrian only) to the North Shore. I don't think the Chattanooga Ducks (River tour) is open in winter months. That said, near the Aquarium, the very first Coca Cola bottling plant was in Chattanooga... owing to the bottle design and ingenuity of industrialist John Lupton... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Thomas_Lupton . The building still stands, but it is now a pizza restaurant.

Would like to hear how your trip goes.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:46 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,495 times
Most of the things mentioned are weather dependent, which if you are going to be in Chattanooga in late January, could be a little bit of a stretch. But don't forget the Tow Truck museum, as Chattanooga was also the home of the first tow truck manufacturer.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:10 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
And the Moon Pie General Store, because every Moon Pie ever made was baked in Chattanooga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga