U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 07:39 PM

74 posts, read 122,173 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband and I are looking to relocate and one of the opportunities available to us is in Chattanooga. We live in South Florida and are happy here, but it's just time to go I guess.

We used to live in a neighborhood called Carronbridge, the Enclave in Franklin, TN. That was by far my favorite place to live. I loved Nashville and I loved Franklin. Brentwood and the Governor's Club are amazing also.

Is anyone on this forum familiar with Franklin, TN? At least the part near Cools Springs Mall?

The houses in Chattanooga that I have seen online are typical of TN. Beautifully built, inexpensive and in adorable neighborhoods. Are there any really great realtor websites that feature only local homes? We'd prefer to stay within a 10 mile drive of Chattanooga if possible. Unless there are restaurants and services nearby in other areas, but I do not know where to look and research yet.

What are the popular areas? Is it possible that a 500K home has taxes of only $3500-4000? My taxes were low in Franklin, but our house was considerably more expensive so I'm not sure if the taxes 'seem' less or if it's just that I'm looking at houses for less than half the cost of what we had in Franklin.

We are looking for something around 400K-500K and could actually spend less since it's just the two of us and we don't really need much more than 2700 square feet. Big is not terrible and is fine too if that is all there is. However, we are not looking for a fixer upper. We don't mind having wood floors stripped and re-stained, painting, new lights, carpeting, you know, the easy stuff. Definitely not into having to replace kitchens, roofs, or bathrooms.

We could spend more if the neighborhood is right, (up to 700K or so) but as far as I have seen, the more money you spend, the bigger house you get. And I'd really like to downsize now. I'm tired of the keeping up with the Jones' now.

Are there any quaint, safe, areas that aren't too far from the malls and restaurants? I don't mind a 10 mile drive to the mall, but I prefer my Publix to be nearby.

I'd love a little land as in - around a half an acre or so, but I don't love the homes that are very rural as I like to be closer to things. I noticed on Realtor.com that there are many with large lots. (I'm a dog lover)

If Chattanooga is the center of things, what areas N, S, E and West of it are popular and what are they like?

If you can provide links that would be very much appreciated. If not, key words are helpful too and I can research on my own.

What school districts are considered the best in the area? (Not private) Which shopping areas are popular? Restaurants? Activities? Downtown areas? Recreation? Museums, galleries? Libraries?

I'm praying things go well with the interviews as I left my heart in Tennessee when we left and I'd really like to get it back and stay.

Thank you to all who have the time to respond. God Bless you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 10:34 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,798,825 times
Nothing really like Franklin, but the middle of Cleveland is rather "Mayberryish". It's 20 minutes from Chattanooga's largest shopping center, up I-75. If you want to be really close to Publix and between Hamilton Place and Cleveland, I suggest you look at the section of Ooltewah west of I-75. There are several subdivisions, some with lake access. Mitchell Mill, which is right across Snow Hill Rd. from the new Publix and shopping center is a nice older gated community. That area is just starting to take off, and on the opposite side of the Interstate, a new "town center" type shopping center called Cambridge Square is under construction. Also check out Crystal Brook in Apison and Twin Lakes in Collegedale. They are all planned communities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga