Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 05:52 PM

79 posts, read 123,928 times

Advertisements

[quote=jwkilgore;45627945]Interesting choice of words, "open to other religion". Most people consider all Christian branches to the the same "religion", even the five major branches. Roman Catholicism and Protestantism are two of those. The core tenets are the same; for the most part the differences are mostly just technicalities.

Crosses on every corner: not on the corners I visit. There are a lot of churches, but not that many.

http://static6.businessinsider.com/i...37.15%20pm.png

For most of the southeastern USA you'll have more protestant churches than any other; specifically, more Southern Baptists than any other. Plus your standard southeastern distribution of Presbyterian, Methodist, etc. Even a few of the "charismatic" churches scattered here and there, plus several unitarian and non-denominational Christian churches.

For Chattanooga proper, there is a large Seventh Day Adventist group out east of town around the Southern Adventist University. Typical Protestant denomination, except they adhere closer to the Old Testament than most others. Mainly centered on worship on Saturday instead of Sunday, food choices, and a firm belief that the End times are close.

Also a larger than average number of Episcopalians (a.k.a. American Anglican, or "Catholic Lite") thanks to Sewanee University up on Monteagle to the north-west.

There are several Roman Catholic churches, and even a couple of Catholic schools (Our Lady of Perpetual Help and Notre Dame).

But assuming you really are "open to other religions", you can take your pick. All the Abrahamic faiths are represented, including Jewish Temples (Reform, Orthodox, and Conservative), Islamic Mosques, and even a Bahá-í Congregation. And don't forget Hindu and Buddhist.[/quote

and a firm belief that the End times are close.

Will no doubt scare my wife in to moving down there...Bible Thumpers are a strange breed to begin with but I believe I can tolerate them as long as they don't come preaching at my front porch ]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 04:47 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natguy View Post
and a firm belief that the End times are close.

Will no doubt scare my wife in to moving down there...Bible Thumpers are a strange breed to begin with but I believe I can tolerate them as long as they don't come preaching at my front porch
The majority listed here will not "come preaching at [your] front porch". It's possible someone from your neighborhood church will invite you in; just politely decline if not interested and the conversation will end. There are the more evangelical sects (Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc.), but their concentration in the southeast is actually lower than in the rest of the country.

Also, for what it's worth and contrary to popular belief among atheists and such, the majority of Christians do NOT believe in a literal Bible nor that the "End times are close".

Old 01-06-2017, 07:11 AM

7 posts, read 13,272 times
Yep, the area is saturated with all sorts of religious "followers". You should fit into the community just fine if that is your mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga