Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2016, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,180 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mom with 15 year old looking to relocate to Chattanooga after accepting job in downtown area but need it to be in safe school close by and desirable area town... please let me know if anyone can offer input here as I'm supposed to start end of month and. Also any realtor recommended?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,636 times
I cannot answer your question but would like to piggyback another question onto it. I have been researching schools in Chattanooga and from the looks of it there is exactly 1 good public high school in the entire area, that being Signal Mountain Middle High. Some people say Ooltewah is a decent area, but the high school there is only rated a 5 on GreatSchools.

I have yet to find any single post that explains why this is in much detail. It just seems to be a given for Chattanooga residents that people send their kids to private schools, but that's unusual where I live. I live in a southern city that really doesn't seem that different from Chattanooga in any major way except schools. We have our share of bad schools but we have a corresponding share of good schools, rated 7 or higher. Where I live you can buy a new house for $150-175k and get in a public school that's rated 9 or 10. I don't know anyone personally who sends their kids to private school. Here, the idea of paying $800-1000 a month for private school for one kid just wouldn't fly for most people.

Someone please educate me. As a total outsider, I can't figure this out. Why does Chattanooga seem to have only 1 good public high school? Do vast numbers of people in Chattanooga really send their kids to private school? How do ya'll afford it? Since there are so many private schools there, are they cheaper than private schools elsewhere? Where did you decide to buy a house if that is the case, since you do not need to live in a certain zone? Are you sending your kids to public elementary schools and then putting them in private high schools? How would a person new to the area even know where to begin in picking a private school among so many? Why do people say Ooltewah is good when the high school there is only rated a 5?

Last edited by pepsiinvaders; 12-04-2016 at 10:34 PM..

Old 12-06-2016, 10:36 AM

30 posts, read 48,068 times
In Chattanooga, there really isn't much of a middle class compared to other similarly sized cities. On the mountains (especially Lookout) you have a lot of wealthy people who can easily afford to send kids to private school- so they may not value quality public schools much. In the valley, you have a good number of very economically depressed, inner city neighborhoods- so also poorly rated public schools. Those people who DO have money in the valley therefore pay to send their kids to the public schools There are just a few pockets of middle class people and that's where you tend to get the slightly better public schools (e.g., Ooltewah, etc.). Signal Mountain is mostly upper middle class to upper class professionals (not quite as wealthy as Lookout Mountain- but strongly supportive of having their own schools...in fact, they are now hoping to withdraw from Hamilton County schools and start their own Signal Mountain school district!) Signal Mountain to consider forming own school district | Times Free Press

One alternative option to look into are the magnet schools, e.g., CSAS Chattanooga School For Arts and Sciences is a very popular choice (long waitlist, etc.) Also Center for Creative Arts for kids into performing or visual arts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiinvaders View Post
I cannot answer your question but would like to piggyback another question onto it. I have been researching schools in Chattanooga and from the looks of it there is exactly 1 good public high school in the entire area, that being Signal Mountain Middle High. Some people say Ooltewah is a decent area, but the high school there is only rated a 5 on GreatSchools.

I have yet to find any single post that explains why this is in much detail. It just seems to be a given for Chattanooga residents that people send their kids to private schools, but that's unusual where I live. I live in a southern city that really doesn't seem that different from Chattanooga in any major way except schools. We have our share of bad schools but we have a corresponding share of good schools, rated 7 or higher. Where I live you can buy a new house for $150-175k and get in a public school that's rated 9 or 10. I don't know anyone personally who sends their kids to private school. Here, the idea of paying $800-1000 a month for private school for one kid just wouldn't fly for most people.

Someone please educate me. As a total outsider, I can't figure this out. Why does Chattanooga seem to have only 1 good public high school? Do vast numbers of people in Chattanooga really send their kids to private school? How do ya'll afford it? Since there are so many private schools there, are they cheaper than private schools elsewhere? Where did you decide to buy a house if that is the case, since you do not need to live in a certain zone? Are you sending your kids to public elementary schools and then putting them in private high schools? How would a person new to the area even know where to begin in picking a private school among so many? Why do people say Ooltewah is good when the high school there is only rated a 5?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga