Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2016, 08:44 AM

12 posts, read 23,131 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

My family and I are relocating to signal mountain from the city of Chicago in July. My son will be entering 6th grade which I know can be a complicated time to meet new friends and start a new life (new city etc). He is not into sports but likes to climb, plays in his school band, has a goofy sense of humor, loves video games, talking , Doctor Who, comic books, etc. He has had some rough times at school (focusing in general but also some bullying in the past).

Does anyone here have any experience with Signal Mountain Middle/High school? Curios about teaching style, creative outlets, academic strictness, inclusiveness, bullying issues etc. We are also look ing at the CSAS but know we may have to wait a bit to get in.

Any input appreciated! Trying to make the transition as painless as possible! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,147 times
I have had years of experience with SMMHS. It is a rigorous academic school due to the IB program. Be prepared to provide a tablet or small laptop for everyday school use. (No, the school will not cover any damages that may come to his electronic at school.) You as parents, are held responsible for keeping up to date on your child's projects, assignments and grades online. Things are done on a Rubric.
Your son will enjoy the band program. Our band directors are great and the kids seem to all mesh well together.
As for bullying, I would say it is on the same level as any other school. What I do notice, is the bullying at SMMHS is done via social media. And the basis of most of it has to do with economic divide. There isn't much space for in-between, you're either a rich kid or a poor kid. It's quite a shame actually.
I have children at schools off the mountain as well as ar SMMHS. The bullying in those schools seem to be more physical. They say stuff directly to each other. And at times a fight will break out. But then it seems resolved for the most part. The social media bullying tends to carry on and gather haters along the way.

I am neither pro nor con SMMHS. It really seems to be on an individual basis. I have had two do well there and two who just didn't jive.

I wish you and your family all the luck with the move and transitioning!!

I absolutely love this community!! There really IS a place for everyone. (Maybe not at SMMHS but there are many other options available in that case.)

Please forgive any typos or grammar errors...im trying to type this out before my little one wakes from her nap.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:03 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,982 times
You may want to pursue Center for Creative Arts (CCA), but your child would need to audition with a talent to develop. Sort of like declaring a major in college. It is a magnet school.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:12 PM

30 posts, read 48,476 times
I would definitely look into CCA. I know lots of kids who love it- it seems to be a GREAT fit for all the "quirky" kids out there who may not always fit in in traditional middle or high schools. If he plays an instrument, he can audition for their instrumental music program, but you need to get his application in ASAP, as auditions are being held now through January (I think). They have the greatest number of openings for 6th graders, as all the 6th grade students are new (No specific feeder elementary schools).

Old 01-19-2017, 08:04 PM

8 posts, read 25,886 times
Hi KrisBD,
I laughed as I read this because you could've been describing my rising 6th grader! Goofy, loves to climb, video games, not really into sports. He also loves parkour and trampolines. I don't have answers for you but wanted to touch base as we are thinking about a move to Signal Mountain in summer of 2017 also. We are currently in Chattanooga and love it, but wanting to get out of the private school system & all the pressures that go with it. Let me know if you do make the move...perhaps our boys could meet & then be new 6th graders together. I'm super nervous about him switching schools so it would be great to know someone else in the same boat. We are looking at a couple areas around Chattanooga but Signal Mtn is my favorite. Good luck to you. Signal Mountain is beautiful and Chattanooga is a fantastic city.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:36 PM

33 posts, read 60,505 times
The deadline to apply for CCA at the end of the month. Auditions are in February... hoping to get my son in there. We took the tour and it was amazing! I have a degree in Art and it felt like an art college...they're also pretty hard core about academics. They have buses that have different dropoff and pick up locations all around too so if your child gets in you just have to get them to the nearest bus stop... incase location is an issue for you...

Old 02-13-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kro130 View Post
Hi KrisBD,
I laughed as I read this because you could've been describing my rising 6th grader! Goofy, loves to climb, video games, not really into sports. He also loves parkour and trampolines. I don't have answers for you but wanted to touch base as we are thinking about a move to Signal Mountain in summer of 2017 also. We are currently in Chattanooga and love it, but wanting to get out of the private school system & all the pressures that go with it. Let me know if you do make the move...perhaps our boys could meet & then be new 6th graders together. I'm super nervous about him switching schools so it would be great to know someone else in the same boat. We are looking at a couple areas around Chattanooga but Signal Mtn is my favorite. Good luck to you. Signal Mountain is beautiful and Chattanooga is a fantastic city.
Thank you so much for your response (and delay! I forgot to check back lol)

We are for sure moving to the area and will be visiting Chattanooga again in April to find a place to live on Signal. Feel free to send me a direct message and maybe we can meet up while we are in town!

Thanks!Kris

Old 02-13-2017, 09:06 AM

thank you so much for all of the information and feedback you provided! I knew about CSAS but not CCA
And the concerns about rich vs poor type casting was definitely a concern-- I'm glad you addressed it. All of the feedback was very helpful! We are excited to take the next steps to finding a place to live in Chattanooga/Signal Mtn in April!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga