Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2017, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,601 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the area and we are so excited. We love to hike and have just gotten into kayaking. I noticed on city data that the crime rate of Chattanooga is rather high. Can someone shed some light? After talking with several people from Chattanooga, they seem to love it. Is it a fairly safe little city with just a few rough areas that have unusually high crime rates. Can anyone tell me where those areas are? We live out in the country right now. Doubtful that anyone locks their doors and kids play outside unsupervised (We have 2 fenced acres and a long steep gravel driveway). The gate is usually closed and nobody comes up our driveway, it's a nightmare. Anyway, I was looking into the Hixon and Ootlewah areas. We love some hills (paved though). I don't think we can afford Signal Mountain, although it looks like a nice area too. If we do buy, we'd love to keep it below $150k for a 4 bedroom, which will probably take some searching. Thanks for any input. My biggest concern is safety. Can you tell me the nicer areas of the Chatt area and the ones to steer clear of please?! Thanks!! Also is the Hixon rd area north of Chatt a good/safe area for shopping? I do carry, but I'd rather not have to worry that I'll need to use my pistol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 10:46 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,495 times
4 BR below $150K, I think Hixson would soon be out of your budget range. As for safety I, can't speak to that for anywhere.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:49 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Smile Rising Home $$

H.M. .. WELCOME.... There has been ongoing rival gang shootings for the past years..Active police & church
pleas still have rival crime around the east side of city... The north side of city can not built expensive condos & hotels fast enough for demand.... This weekend is the world finals for IRONMAN 70 mile , run , bike swim competition. About 2,000 women & 2,000 men will compete.. Tourism for the city is outstanding.

We have 8 new construction homes being built in our sub-div at this time in Sale Creek , I dont believe any are 4 bedroom . Just all 3 bed...That supply may be short inventory.. It has been a seller market all spring , with multiple offers. Houses along the deep channel lake waterfront can be at the $ million mark. People are re-locating to this Hamilton county..... Your $150 target may be found as a slight Fixer upper in northern Sale Creek or just over the county line into Rhea county like Graysville or South Dayton... Real estate taxes would also be less there.... Past year example.. our $150 valuation in Hamilton about $1000 total for year , & Rhea county could be $650 / yr ?
Again WELCOME.... YEs outdoor activities is drawing population.... Plateau hike trail connect still active for 300 mile long Cumberland trail.... & lake quality great for fishing tournaments, & kayak , paddle board activities.. Many sporting good stores here,,

Old 08-28-2017, 04:45 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
You may need to bump up your budget to more like $170K-200K in both those areas. There are some properties in the older areas of East Brainerd where you can still find that price. Also, possibly Harrison. All those areas are safe, but differentiated by the schools they're zoned for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga