Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 05:14 PM

22 posts, read 41,161 times

Advertisements

I'm 28, self-employed (work remotely), single, male, pretty independent, laid back (don't drink alcohol or 'party' much) and an avid gym goer. I've been in Colorado Springs the past two years, but just don't see myself staying here despite how beautiful it is and all the hiking opportunities. I spent most my life in Minneapolis, MN, and have spent short stints (1 year or less) in DC, Columbia (SC), and Phoenix (AZ).

The Springs is experiencing tons of population influx since Denver is so crowded now and its driving living costs up rapidly (rent for a decent one-bed place is now around $1000+/month) and buying a place is even worse; not to mention everyone here is in the military, so meeting people/dating is a nightmare.

I've driven through most of Tennessee several times and find it to be a gorgeous state. Main reasons Chattanooga is on my list of places to move is because:

- I like being on my own/independent, but developing connections with locals (and dating) is a concern

- Seems like cost of living and real estate are affordable (I'm planning to buy a place in a year or two and keep living costs minimal in the mean time)

- I go to the gym daily and work in the fitness industry so it would be a big plus if there's some quality weight rooms/gyms in the area

- I don't really party much or drink alcohol, so stuff that doesn't involve getting hammered at bars is a plus

- I enjoy the outdoors, and the fact Chattanooga has so much greenery, a river and mountains nearby is a huge plus for me

- The heat/humidity won't bother me, Im aware it gets very hot (Ive lived in Phoenix, AZ and Columbia, SC for a year each)

From what I've read, it seems like most people's concerns with Chattanooga are crime and poor education (some people complain of the traffic but I barely drive and have lived in DC which is about as bad as traffic gets). I don't have kids nor do I plan on having any (might adopt one when I'm older).

Main questions I have are if anyone has made a similar transition from Colorado to Tennessee and their experience? Also if it's realistic to find a studio or one-bed apartment in a relatively safe neighborhood for $700-$800 month? If so, which neighborhoods are best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 01:49 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,105 times
Thumbs up Hixson Gold Gym

WELCOME,, Chatt keeps getting better each year. I go to the GOLDs gym in Hixson.. Big pool indoor , excellent facility... Other gyms starting all the time... Last weekend was the Worlds Finals of IRONMAN 70 mile half distance.. Two weeks will have a full 140 mile Ironman... Lots of fitness events here...

$$ general rule is the more north in Hamilton county one searches for housing, the lower cost... Soddy Daisy is just building new apt complex & should be around that $800 target .?? We have been here 11 yrs since a Fla move & just great along lake, etc. New condos being built in the northshore region of city , Million dollar range.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT View Post
WELCOME,, Chatt keeps getting better each year. I go to the GOLDs gym in Hixson.. Big pool indoor , excellent facility... Other gyms starting all the time... Last weekend was the Worlds Finals of IRONMAN 70 mile half distance.. Two weeks will have a full 140 mile Ironman... Lots of fitness events here...

$$ general rule is the more north in Hamilton county one searches for housing, the lower cost... Soddy Daisy is just building new apt complex & should be around that $800 target .?? We have been here 11 yrs since a Fla move & just great along lake, etc. New condos being built in the northshore region of city , Million dollar range.
Wow awesome I had a friend who just recently moved to Chatt and has nothing but great things to say about it. It sounds like the city is rapidly improving and growing. I just miss having water nearby but love the mountains too so it seems like Chatt would give the best of both worlds in that regard.

Is the Soddy Daisy area pretty safe/clean?

Old 09-20-2017, 03:12 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,105 times
Thumbs up Soddy LINKs

B.B. : If one mouse clicks on the WHITE City Data logo , Upper left corner of screen ,it opens up data info for any city that is typed in for search ... Here is their Link for Soddy , some of the swimming creek pics
are probable mine.... Town / city has no official sidewalks, as a few shopping centers.. Drug store chains, restaurants, etc. //www.city-data.com/city/Soddy-...Tennessee.html

Town web site . soddy-daisy.org have own police dept,, fire districts, etc.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:06 PM

320 posts, read 541,047 times
Soddy Daisy is pretty far out from downtown Chattanooga, which I assume you would visit often. With your price range, you should be able to find a nice 1 BR in just about any part of the area. I have friends who live in East Ridge and can make it downtown in 6 minutes ( on a good traffic day).

Old 09-24-2017, 10:03 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Actually quite a few of us from the Springs around middle Tennessee. While I don't live there, you might also want to consider Murfreesboro. Seems to have a bit younger crowd than some of the other cities around.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT View Post
B.B. : If one mouse clicks on the WHITE City Data logo , Upper left corner of screen ,it opens up data info for any city that is typed in for search ... Here is their Link for Soddy , some of the swimming creek pics
are probable mine.... Town / city has no official sidewalks, as a few shopping centers.. Drug store chains, restaurants, etc. //www.city-data.com/city/Soddy-...Tennessee.html

Town web site . soddy-daisy.org have own police dept,, fire districts, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by llsmith42 View Post
Soddy Daisy is pretty far out from downtown Chattanooga, which I assume you would visit often. With your price range, you should be able to find a nice 1 BR in just about any part of the area. I have friends who live in East Ridge and can make it downtown in 6 minutes ( on a good traffic day).
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Actually quite a few of us from the Springs around middle Tennessee. While I don't live there, you might also want to consider Murfreesboro. Seems to have a bit younger crowd than some of the other cities around.
Thanks all, this helps a lot Pretty sure Tennessee will be my new home in 2018
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga