Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 9,280 times

Advertisements

my husband and our I are thinking about relocating to Tennessee from Ohio. my sister lives in Cleveland and loves it. We have 3 small children ages 5,3 and 1. our oldest is starting kindergarten and has a little bit of a developmental delay. we are wondering about whether or not Cleveland was a good area to move to. we don't have a lot of money but we are comfortable. i am an stna ( state tested nurses assistant) and my husband is in the process of getting his HVAC license. do the jobs in those fields pay well? is rent expensive. how are the schools when it comes to children with slight learning disabilities? are there any small cities on the outskirts of Cleveland that might be better for us? we are just sick and tired of ohio. the weather is horrible and there are hardly any jobs out there. everywhere in our area keeps going bankrupt and shutting down. the cost of living is rapidly rising. we need a change of scenery desperately but we want to be informed before we pick up and move. if anyone can give us some insight on moving to Cleveland it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 12:13 AM

4 posts, read 22,945 times
My husband works in cleveland and its a nice place! small town..sry i cant say things are becoming very high here as well...jobs are scarce also

i dont know a lot about cleveland...but it seems nice, i guess liek any city depends on where u r...

outside of it...

mcdonald,,,great place, country like...

ooltewal, great place too ( expensive though) i dont know how much u are talking about spending on a house?? low crime..but over crowded schools...

sry im not much help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorgan1128 View Post
my husband and our I are thinking about relocating to Tennessee from Ohio. my sister lives in Cleveland and loves it. We have 3 small children ages 5,3 and 1. our oldest is starting kindergarten and has a little bit of a developmental delay. we are wondering about whether or not Cleveland was a good area to move to. we don't have a lot of money but we are comfortable. i am an stna ( state tested nurses assistant) and my husband is in the process of getting his HVAC license. do the jobs in those fields pay well? is rent expensive. how are the schools when it comes to children with slight learning disabilities? are there any small cities on the outskirts of Cleveland that might be better for us? we are just sick and tired of ohio. the weather is horrible and there are hardly any jobs out there. everywhere in our area keeps going bankrupt and shutting down. the cost of living is rapidly rising. we need a change of scenery desperately but we want to be informed before we pick up and move. if anyone can give us some insight on moving to Cleveland it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 9,245 times
Smile So you are possibly moving to cleveland, tn

Well, just to let you know.. I lived in Cleveland for most of my life as a teenager and young adult. I can tell you that Cleveland is a great place to raise a family.. that's for sure. The schools are great. I say that because I now live in Orlando FL and the schools here are C and D schools. They are poor in curriculum, teaching, and development. I actually would never recommend anyone to move here.. especially if they truly care about the development of their child's education. Cleveland is great. Mayfield Elementary, E.L. Ross Elementary and Stuart Elementary are great for your kids.

I love Cleveland. My husband and I are looking to possibly move there too. It's small, now probably about 45-65,000 people living there. It's definitely grown since I left. Living is totally affordable. I don't know if you are looking to rent, but it is very reasonable... even if you plan on purchasing a house. Just an example: I live in Orlando- mind you the outskirts in Davenport.. but a regular home here is a shoe-box size, quality build is horrible, the houses are 4ft apart from each other and cannot guarantee you living in a nice secure area. A regular-nothing special house will start at $200,000. In cleveland you can get a HUGE house with all the land and yard around you and your next door neighbor is a good house-size away from you. A $200,000 will get you a VERY nice house with all the trimmings. If your sister is Cleveland, I would have her get rental and purchase listings for you from property management companies and real estate offices.

As far a work is concerned, I am not sure. I would definitely start looking before anything to get a feel and idea. Chattanooga is a big city which is 30 minutes from Cleveland, you can check there. Also check Athens, Sweetwater and Dalton (these are larger towns that offer work opportunities.. all 20-30 minutes from Cleveland. Cleveland has several clinics, hospitals and nursing facilities that you can try to get a job with. For your husband, finding a job as HVAC technician probably won't be a problem.. Cleveland has several HVAC companies. It may take some time to land a good job, so start while you are in Ohio.. get your sister to pick up classifieds for you and email you good jobs. Don't rely too much on job sites like Career Builder or Monster... literally.. do the research there.. but don't make it were you spend too much time on those sites. Cleveland has The Cleveland Daily Banner and you can look them up online to see if they have jobs too. Also check the Chattanooga Times for jobs.

Weather-wise.. you can experience all the seasons of the year. Fall is my favorite there, its beautiful. You really get to experience winter spring summer and fall. When baseball season and football season start.. you feel it and people get excited. They are very driven by college football too.. people go nuts! But the town comes out to high school football games to be supportive and they have small town festivals down town. It's nice a nice little town.

I wish you the best of luck! I know how much I love Cleveland and I would say to anyone that living and raising a family there is ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorgan1128 View Post

Old 04-05-2008, 10:49 PM

7 posts, read 129,200 times
I am looking at info on Cleveland and was curious about the weather............does it snow there? If so how much??? We are from North Idaho and are looking for a place with milder climate, more sun per year. We average about 170 days of sunshine per year......Yuck.
We got over 90 inches of snow this year.
I like a place with all four seasons, but not a lot of really cold (30 degrees or colder) days for months at a time in the dark dreary clouds.
How is the heat in the summer??? Is it very humid there??? How about tornado's or bad thunderstorms???
Then my next question is snakes??? We were looking at Hickory NC, but they have a lot of poisonous snakes, bad lightening storms and some tornado's.
We are hoping to find some property out of town a ways, around 3 acres to build a home. My husband is a builder. Where would be a good place to find some property that is close in, but private???
If anyone has any info this would be so helpful......Thank you...........Tana

Old 06-04-2008, 08:54 PM

8 posts, read 44,360 times
aww, my hubby and i were married in cleveland, tn. it is small. not alot to do. no malls. but if relaxed is what you want, then this would be the right place.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 8,463 times
I lived in Cleveland, Tn for several years...I know the city well and this is what I saw. First the downtown area could be very depressing with stores closing down left and right, giving the city a ghost town look. The cost of living in high compared with city of same size. Vandalism and graffiti is very common, my car was vandalized twice. The job market is badddd, and the wages are worst. There is not much to do unless you just enjoy going to dept. stores or parks. Please double, triple check it out before you move to Cleveland.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:59 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Default News Article -10,000 future jobs

AS L Roberts mentions above , try read on-line newspapers of area one may move. Sunday Times Free Press ,Chattanooga, front page wrote 10,000 future jobs / construction suppliers with Auto VW mfg plant in this I-75 Corparate Park target area of Cleveland.
. Rt #58 N.W. towards Birchwood & 312 south to Harrison State Park , flat pastures for horses & view of both mtn plateaus. Good elbow room NOW for builders of own houses.
Cleveland very Religious college city . Search a church parish that will recommend schools & help one fit in . Gulf coast storm evacuatees have been helped also in this region.
Very LITTLE snow . Sonme 2" - 3" storms to close mornings, but melted by end of day.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:45 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,284 times
Gonna be there in 3 weeks.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:16 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Question Bring a Coat

L: Very un-usual tonight temp forecast 26 degrees. There go the annual plants.
. Hey , you play any GOLF ..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga