Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2017, 11:36 AM

8 posts, read 14,430 times

Advertisements

I was not sure to which board to post, but I think the Chattanooga one looks the closest to Cleveland, TN.

My husband had a job offer to move to Cleveland, TN, and we are considering the pros and cons of this move. We currently live in Charlotte, NC, and we love in here. We would like any insights about areas to move, with good schools (7+), safe communities and open to new people. We are a biracial couple (latina + Indian) and we have an adventurous 1 year old, so a place we we can mingle that would be great.

We are looking for pretty much the same we currently have, an single family house, in a good community, in the 250,000 to 310,000 range, and that is not a long commute from/to Cleveland, may be no more than 40-45 minutes. Any suggestions of areas to look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 08:38 PM

361 posts, read 861,368 times
I may not be able to help you a lot but since there are no other replies I will see if I can help out. My wife and I moved to Cleveland nearly two years ago; we have found it to be a very nice area but it is on the quiet side which could be great for some and no great for others.

We are semi retired and do not have school age children but I can say the schools here seem nice. We raised three children and appreciate good schools; I have not seen anything that would make me think the schools are bad in this area but hopefully someone else can give more advice.

Housing! In the price range you mention you should have many options. I would suggest taking your time to look the area over before buying as we have found, for what you may think of as a smaller city, there are many appealing housing areas. If you look at realtor.com or zillow.com you can get a idea of home costs.

For bigger city things to do, you are less than a half hour to Chattanooga and in many cases less than a hour to what Knoxville has to offer.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:46 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Cleveland isn't particularly known for its good schools, although they aren't bad. Test scores for Bradley County schools are lower than Cleveland city schools. I would look in the Ooltewah area of Hamilton County (Chattanooga). It's a quick drive to Cleveland from there, the schools are better, and there's a lot more diversity, shopping, restaurants, etc. Hamilton County also has outstanding magnet schools at the middle and high school levels.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 10-30-2017 at 06:54 AM..

Old 11-04-2017, 10:33 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
I second that suggestion. Ooltewah-Collegedale is a growing area with lots of new houses in your price range. There's probably a bit more diversity among the people there. The adjacent East Brainerd area had many Indians and closer in at the Hamilton Place area are neighborhoods where lots of Latinos and Indians live and work. You'll find that Hamilton County is open and welcoming to folks from all over. Depending where you live in that area, you'll be zoned for either Ooltewah or East Hamilton (mostly the Collegedale area). I'd say overall East is a better school academically than OHS, but they're both decent to very good. I believe OHS has a baccalaureate program. East doesn't, but the full slate of APs.

Cleveland is not a bad city. It's about 45,000 with an economy that's based on much industry (chemical plants to the north) and manufacturing (appliances) and food. Then there is Lee University and the several church denominations that are headquartered there. There several sizable regional finance businesses based there. For a city its size Cleveland has some very nice public facilities like parks, YMCA and infrastructure. It's growing at a moderately pace, but if you're not used to small town living, you might find the town proper to get stale. The post above regarding schools is how I've found them to compare. Cleveland High School has a very nice facility with a brand new Science Building. Schools... East Hamilton > Ooltewah > Cleveland HS > Rest of Bradley County

I live in East Brainerd and my next door neighbor manages a plant just north of Cleveland and he's never complained about his commute. Just up I-75, it takes him 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. If there is the rare traffic jam he takes Lee Highway (US 11) straight up to the Cleveland Bypass.

Good luck on your decision.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:25 PM

6 posts, read 12,431 times
East Brainerd is a crime riddled slum for the most part. The schools are lousy and there is a gang problem. If you are interested in moving around gangs, Pawn Shops, "Gentlemens" Clubs and Money Shops. Then yes, East Brainerd is where you want to move.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:46 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
That's Brainerd. East Brainerd is five miles to the east. Do you even know anything about Chattanooga?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga