Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 11:59 PM

24 posts, read 25,490 times

Advertisements

We are a young family of expats living in Qatar, and are looking to shed the golden handcuffs and settle in a nice area for our kids.

I know that no place will be as diverse as Doha, but I worry about the "good ol boy" mentality if we move to the suburbs in the South. The natural attractions, schools, cost of living etc all seem worthwhile but I don't want my kids growing up around people who honestly believe that Muslims are trying to taker over America or that black people are meant to be feared and treated with disdain.

I don't mean to offend people but I know that certain places in the South DO have an undercurrent of this mentality as much as it's hidden beneath the surface. My cousins parents have a "whites only" sign on their lawn in Nashville.

I understand that I won't be able to escape racism by moving anywhere in America, but is Chattanooga a place I can send my kids to school and still have varied and diverse company? Or is Chattanooga still racially segregated to the extent that I saw in Asheville? Basically any of the good schools had few black kids and all the terrible schools were like 90% black. Very few black business owners or black people in local government. Asheville was really cool but I can't live in a city that has such a large black population with so few POC in economic and political leadership positions.

Again, I am not trying to be inflammatory and I know that sooo many wonderful people are in this part of the country but it honestly worries me. My kids don't even know the term "black people" even though half our neighbors are black or mixed-race.

Are there some neighborhoods or areas that are better than others? Would Knoxville be a better choice as far as diversity? Seemed like Chattanooga was a more family-friendly place, what with the zoo and aquarium and all.

We are taking a road trip around TN this summer when we come home to visit but it's helpful to know where to focus our efforts to prepare for hiring a realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 03:54 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
I would look into CA. With the info you laid down, you will not do well in TN/Chattanooga.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:05 AM

We have a lot of family in southern California but the real estate is insanely expensive and taxes high. We really have a budget of under $300k ($200k is ideal) and are looking for houses on bigger lots/property. You basically can't get that in California unless you're loaded.

Are there any other more progressive cities in Tennessee? I just want to be in a place where racism isn't a passive norm and minorities are actually included in the economy and local government.

Am I chasing after a unicorn?

Old 03-23-2018, 06:59 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Consider Texas. Both Houston and Dallas are very diverse, contrary to common perception. Both have suburbs with diversity and good schools at a lower price than Ca. I am currently considering a move to Tn in retirement. I visited Williamson County and it felt more diverse than I expected. I think any area with large global corporations will have more diversity than some smaller business community towns. Williamson County;s home prices were higher than most of TN but I understand the schools are good and you might minimize the concern you have expressed, Good luck in your search and move

Old 03-24-2018, 01:03 AM

So you all really think TN is THAT racist?

Very sad but thanks for your insights.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:27 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Knoxville is not a black mecca but it does contain a well integrated (black/white) middle class/UMC neighborhood called Holston Hills where you could find an "estate sale" house that needs updating in your price range. Knoxville has a Mosque and a Zoo and there's an aquarium nearby in Gatlinburg. The Beck Cultural center is your best resource for info on the AA experience.

Asheville is a boutique city. You'll find progressive meccas to be very expensive. So the AAs who grew up in the area can't afford to move to the trendy neighborhoods plus if they are ambitious they are likely to move to a black mecca such as Atlanta. It's not like the hipster/hippies/new age retirees are purposefully discriminating against black people, just that the black folks are not likely to have trust funds or parents that can subsidize a lifestyle.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Knoxville is not a black mecca but it does contain a well integrated (black/white) middle class/UMC neighborhood called Holston Hills where you could find an "estate sale" house that needs updating in your price range. Knoxville has a Mosque and a Zoo and there's an aquarium nearby in Gatlinburg. The Beck Cultural center is your best resource for info on the AA experience.

Asheville is a boutique city. You'll find progressive meccas to be very expensive. So the AAs who grew up in the area can't afford to move to the trendy neighborhoods plus if they are ambitious they are likely to move to a black mecca such as Atlanta. It's not like the hipster/hippies/new age retirees are purposefully discriminating against black people, just that the black folks are not likely to have trust funds or parents that can subsidize a lifestyle.

Thank you for clarifying. I think I just want to live somewhere that is well-integrated. It sounds like you are saying that it is. I am from a city and state that was not incredibly diverse but had well integrated minority populations and that's really what I'm looking for. I want to know that my kids aren't moving somewhere racism is openly accepted and brandished. Of course, I know it exists no matter where you go in the world!

I've also heard Atlanta is a place that has the "qualifications" I am looking for. I found it harder to find houses with bigger lots in our price range in the suburbs there. When I look at real estate in Knoxville and Chattanooga, I get *EXCITED*! It's really exactly what we are looking for as far as real estate goes. Atlanta doesn't excite me so much. We want to live in a place where hiking and the outdoors is more accessible. I was optimistic about TN.

Looks like we will have to visit and check it out for ourselves!

Old 03-24-2018, 08:59 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I did not say the entire city of Knoxville was well integrated or that there are no bigots. But Holston Hills is a good place to avoid racists because bigots would have moved away decades ago.

Quote:
So you all really think TN is THAT racist?
You seem to have an either/or mindset. If a city isn't ideally integrated it must be entirely racist.

I think what others are saying is that for the integration you seek, Texas is a better option. You didn't say anything about the climate, hiking, or topography/scenery in your original post - which is why many people consider East TN.

If you are willing to consider further north there is a poster named chthankgod who is a black man living in upstate NY and could be very helpful in directing you to appealing & affordable integrated cities/towns.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:54 AM

"You didn't say anything about the climate, hiking, or topography/scenery in your original post - which is why many people consider East TN."

Those, and the comfortable home prices, are the biggest reasons we are looking at the area. Those are easier to suss out--the social stuff, I needed to reach out to understand better!

I'm not at all into TX. I will message that poster you suggested! Thanks so much!!!

And yes, I understand that you can find bigots anywhere and very few places are ideally integrated.

Thanks so much for your time and candor

Old 03-26-2018, 03:44 PM

363 posts, read 482,358 times
Sigh. We, as Americans, have a long way to go before you see large swaths of POC in positions in government, education or business ownership. And you're going to see this nationwide. Considering the high population of POC here in the South, you would expect to see more (I'm still trying to find a black female family doctor here in Knoxville) but I would say Atlanta might be a better bet for you or the surrounding suburbs. The perception and reality of racism here in the South unfortunately keeps us from being a truly global force that it could be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga