Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 07:35 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times

Advertisements

This is a list of grocery stores in varying grocery retail segments, their store counts, and where they are located in Hamilton County, Tennessee, as of Tuesday, 1 May 2018:

Supermarket
  • Food City (16 stores): East Ridge, Harrison, Hixson (2 stores), Chattanooga (9 stores), Ooltewah, Red Bank, Soddy Daisy
  • Food Lion (1 store): East Ridge
  • Publix (5 stores): Chattanooga (3 stores), Hixson, Ooltewah
  • Walmart Neighborhood Market (5 stores): Chattanooga (3 stores), East Ridge, Hixson
Hypermarket
  • Walmart Supercenter (7 stores): Chattanooga (4 stores), Hixson, Ootlewah, Soddy Daisy
Limited assortment/discount grocery
  • Aldi (3 stores): Chattanooga, Ooltewah, Hixson
  • Save-A-Lot (4 stores): Chattanooga, East Ridge, Hixson, Red Bank
Specialty organic/gourmet grocery
  • Earth Fare (2 stores): Chattanooga
  • The Fresh Market (1 store): Chattanooga
  • Whole Foods Market (1 store): Chattanooga
Wholesale club
  • Sam's Club (1 store): Chattanooga
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 07:58 AM

Supermarket Publix is speculated to open a store on South Broad Street.

Further reading

Old 05-02-2018, 06:59 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
I am considering a move to Eastern or central Tn from Plano Texas. We are costco members with three stores within 9 e miles of my house and one store 2 miles away. I was disappointed to see no costco in Chattanooga but thrilled to see fresh market and central market though. I see there is a costco in Ringgolf Ga which is retty close to the parts of Chattanooga area I would likely live in. I am not use to being in a city where the state line is so close and the impacts that can have. If I recall correctly Ga taxes food items less than TN so having it here makes good sense to the locals I bet?

Old 05-02-2018, 10:01 AM

Supermarket participants in Hamilton County have changed over thirty years. I recall Kroger and Red Food being present. Through divestitures and acquisitions, they became BI-LO. Bruno's FoodMax, BI-LO, Winn-Dixie, and Albertson's would come and go between 1993 and 2015. Food City arrived through its acquisition of BI-LO stores. Publix has been in Hamilton County for at least ten years.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:19 PM

29 posts, read 43,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I am considering a move to Eastern or central Tn from Plano Texas. We are costco members with three stores within 9 e miles of my house and one store 2 miles away. I was disappointed to see no costco in Chattanooga but thrilled to see fresh market and central market though. I see there is a costco in Ringgolf Ga which is retty close to the parts of Chattanooga area I would likely live in. I am not use to being in a city where the state line is so close and the impacts that can have. If I recall correctly Ga taxes food items less than TN so having it here makes good sense to the locals I bet?
You are correct. Georgia statewide is 4% minus any local taxes. Chattanooga area is just south of 10%. Georgia income tax is 6%. Tennessee generally has no tax on income. So live in TN, shop in GA when possible.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:19 PM

A 32,514-square-foot grocery store, projected to be a Publix supermarket, is proposed at 3535 Broad Street, Chattanooga, Tennessee 37409-1028, the northeast quadrant of Broad Street and Saint Elmo Avenue. The location was recently Mount Vernon Restaurant.

Site plan of proposed grocery store at 3535 Broad Street

Further reading

Old 05-08-2018, 09:13 AM

A community meeting was held Monday, 7 May, in regards to the proposed Publix supermarket at 3535 Broad Street, Chattanooga, Tennessee 37409-1028. Concerns mentioned at the meeting were a box store having expansive surface parking and the store not being closer to Broad Street.

The site would need to be rezoned to C-2 to allow for a Publix supermarket.

Further reading

Old 05-14-2018, 05:08 PM

666 posts, read 642,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Supermarket participants in Hamilton County have changed over thirty years. I recall Kroger and Red Food being present. Through divestitures and acquisitions, they became BI-LO. Bruno's FoodMax, BI-LO, Winn-Dixie, and Albertson's would come and go between 1993 and 2015. Food City arrived through its acquisition of BI-LO stores. Publix has been in Hamilton County for at least ten years.
I have a vague memory of Piggly Wiggly, too. Am I imagining things?

Sure wish Food City had stayed away.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:34 PM

7 posts, read 9,855 times
Default Costco

GA tax is cheaper, and we don't observe state lines when shopping! It is super easy to get to Costco, especially from East Brainerd. Looks like they covered Hamilton County Grocery Stores, except there is a new Publix at Shallowford Rd and a Walmart Pantry on East Brainerd. Also, maybe of interest:

Outlet malls near Calhoun and Dalton, GA (20 minutes from East Brainerd)
Dalton has a great shopping including TJ Maxx and Tuesday Morning, and great furniture and carpet stores on GA taxes

Fort Oglethorpe has Home Depot, Lowes and Marshall's and Hobby Lobby with lower GA taxes

Downtown has high-end shopping and dining

East Brainerd has a mall, chain retail and chain restaurants

Downtown Ringgold has quaint antique shops and Cochran's furniture, who carries great lines with GA tax

Lee Highway/Brainerd Rd has Nutrition World (Healthfood and supplements), Southeastern Salvage, Sam's Club and Champy's Chicken!

You will soon be driving around like a champ! Hope you enjoy this beautiful area.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:54 PM

Publix #1621, Waterside, 7326 McCutcheon Road, Chattanooga, Tennessee 37421, is Publix's fifth store in Hamilton County.

I wonder if Publix is stepping up with Food City being proactive improving its stores. The proposed store on Broad Street in Chattanooga is the only store I know at the present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga