Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2019, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,939 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving out of IL in the next few year. Our pick right now is TN. He is a business owner so I have so much to look at not just as far as us and 3 kiddos.....but the business side as well. I have been looking at places all over TN (not focusing on one specific area, but maybe more Chattanooga). I thought Cleveland was looking good. Lots of parks, gyms, fitness centers, a library, a Target. Then I just looked up the crime rate and WOW!!! I feel like I need to cross it off of my list right away. Anyone from Cleveland? Can you give me some input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 12:20 PM

18 posts, read 21,590 times
I'll follow this because we also are looking into that area!

Old 03-12-2019, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 11,642 times
Grew up in Cleveland. All of my family lives in Cleveland. It is as safe as they come. I live in the Atlanta area now but am back often enough.

If I had to guess, all of the crime is largely in a pocket to the south and east of downtown. Lots of poverty, but other than that area, it really is a great place to raise a family.

I never really think of crime when I think of Cleveland. Business is very solid there. There is a large amount of manufacturing in Cleveland for its size which allows it to have a solid economy. It does not rely on Chattanooga for that, meaning its not a suburb or bedroom community.

Job growth and development will be especially increasing near exit 20 as they have recently prepped that area's infrastructure for suppliers of the VW plant in Chattanooga by creating in industrial park right off of the interstate and the city bypass.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:30 PM

70 posts, read 102,272 times
Hello! We're (my husband and I) are also looking at smaller towns/suburbs near Chattanooga to retire. The crime stats for Chattanooga, Cleveland, etc. are alarming!

Here's what I read today: "With a crime rate of 65 per one thousand residents, Cleveland has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 15." That was from Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site, and I don't know where they get their stats. However, this type of data about the Chattanooga area isn't unusual based on my research.

This seems crazy high to me...and, we live in a suburb of St. Louis, Missouri - one of the deadliest cities in the U.S. How is it possible that a town with a population of under 45k has so much crime? Are there not enough law enforcement resources? Is it safe to walk around downtown at night? Everything else about the area fits our needs and wants...but I'm not going to move from one dangerous place to another - especially in retirement. Any insight would be helpful. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Yac; 05-21-2019 at 01:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga