Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 02:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,547 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm currently moving from Baltimore, MD to Lafayette, LA. I will be using an SUV and a UHAUL trailer in order to move all of my belongings. We want to drive about half way (or less than 10 hrs) per day, and that half way point seems to be Tennessee. Specifically, the easiest route is going through Chattanooga. However, whenever I look up this city, it seems to be high in crime and I have a major fear of my possessions being stolen or being in danger late at night since that is when we would be arriving. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of safe areas/hotels to stay in along this route where both me and my belongings will be safe. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 05:13 AM

229 posts, read 188,925 times
I live in Fairfield Glade, TN which is Exit 322 on I40. There are several hotels at this exit that are well lit and have parking right by the front door. I stayed at the Comfort Suites several times when I was relocating to here a year ago.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:15 AM

730 posts, read 813,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseziles2007 View Post
Hi! I'm currently moving from Baltimore, MD to Lafayette, LA. I will be using an SUV and a UHAUL trailer in order to move all of my belongings. We want to drive about half way (or less than 10 hrs) per day, and that half way point seems to be Tennessee. Specifically, the easiest route is going through Chattanooga. However, whenever I look up this city, it seems to be high in crime and I have a major fear of my possessions being stolen or being in danger late at night since that is when we would be arriving. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of safe areas/hotels to stay in along this route where both me and my belongings will be safe. Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingupnorth View Post
I live in Fairfield Glade, TN which is Exit 322 on I40. There are several hotels at this exit that are well lit and have parking right by the front door. I stayed at the Comfort Suites several times when I was relocating to here a year ago.
Fairfield Glade / Crossville is nowhere near Chattanooga, nor is it even remotely near the route from Baltimore to Lafayette LA. The OP would have to go 200+ miles out of his way to stay there.

To the OP: Chattanooga is just fine. Unless you're planning on parking your U-Haul in a sketchy neighborhood near downtown, you have very little to worry about. Coming from the north, you'll find dozens and dozens of hotels just before you reach Chattanooga along I-75 starting in Cleveland TN.

However, that means when you leave the next morning, you'll be part of Chattanooga's rush hour. I recommend you try to make it through Chattanooga that first day and spend the night just south of Chattanooga along I-24 to avoid morning rush hour. There are several good hotels at Exit 174 (Lookout Valley/Lookout Mountain) as well as a highway patrol precinct: Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn by Marriott, Days Inn, Quality Inn & Suites, Red Roof Inn, Country Inn & Suites, and more.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:50 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,303,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseziles2007 View Post
Coming from Baltimore to LA maybe stay somewhere between Knoxville & Chattanooga. Should be a nice hotel just off the interstate. As long as you are reasonably smart would be safer in a smaller community. In there times of Covid make reservations first.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:57 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,020 times
I would suggest going on through Chattanooga, just so you don't have to deal with the traffic while pulling a trailer, the next morning. I'm guessing you will be using I-59 through Alabama, so the closer you get to it, the better off you will be.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:35 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,085 times
Stay overnight at Cleveland, TN. There are a lot of safe and new hotels. In fact, a couple have opened at Exit 27 over the past 2-3 years. There's a new Hampton Inn and a Holiday Inn. Plus lots of places to eat around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga