Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2022, 07:25 AM

87 posts, read 182,461 times

Advertisements

I saw something on Youtube whereas a gent stated that parts of Ooltewah were built on a landfill?
He also stated that on certain days you can still smell it?
We visited three times and didn't notice any smell and thought the area was very nice, even considering relocating. Is there an area to stay away from where this landfill was located? TIA

Last edited by justcollectingdust; 12-02-2022 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: better explanation of question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 03:36 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,198,321 times
There is a long-closed landfill but nothing is "built on it" unless you count the RC airport, Summit Field. There are a few subdivisions just east of it that may catch a whiff of methane on occasion from the vent pipes. The current landfills are far to the north in Harrison (Hamilton County) or far to the east near Cleveland (Bradley County).

https://goo.gl/maps/Bhyn9N6No5CtPp8U9

Old 12-02-2022, 07:11 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,478,931 times
Also, it's not so far, 7+/- miles from the area's landfill dump, not far as the crow flies, or the wind blows. It is just to the west of Exit 20 on I-75. Ooltewah is at Exit 11. When wind blows southerly/southeasterly I have no doubt the folks in Ooltewah can smell it. I've been only a few times, and each time I had to pull my collar up over my mouth. No way, that strong of an odor doesn't waft away for several miles on certain days.

Old 12-07-2022, 01:30 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,198,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Also, it's not so far, 7+/- miles from the area's landfill dump, not far as the crow flies, or the wind blows. It is just to the west of Exit 20 on I-75. Ooltewah is at Exit 11. When wind blows southerly/southeasterly I have no doubt the folks in Ooltewah can smell it. I've been only a few times, and each time I had to pull my collar up over my mouth. No way, that strong of an odor doesn't waft away for several miles on certain days.
I have been to both landfills a few times, and to all areas of Ooltewah countless times. I have endured the horrid stench within the landfills themselves, but I have never smelled either in Ooltewah.

I know people who live on Ooltewah-Georgetown Rd about halfway between Ooltewah and the Harrison landfill. I know people who live in McDonald, about halfway between Ooltewah and the Cleveland landfill. Neither have ever mentioned being able to smell anything.

Winds in the area generally blow from the south or west (just look at normal weather patterns). There's a tall ridge (Whiteoak Mountain) between Ooltewah and the Cleveland landfill.

It may be possible to smell a dilute odor if the conditions are perfect, but I honestly doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
View detailed profiles of: