Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:22 AM

5 posts, read 20,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Where to start with your post Hecdeb...

Schools - I agree with you about the schools, kinda. The school closest to my home has advanced a child into the 4th grade who cannot read. That's amazing to me BUT we also have a school in our district that another child attends. The homework she brings home for the 4th grade takes my whole department to do and we're not idiots by far. My point is that we DO have some awesome public schools here and some bad ones too. Yes, we need some major changes and a total revamp in some areas but I can't say that private schools are our only option if you live in Hamilton County. That's simply not true and NO most of HCDE employees do not send their own children to private schools. Some do, some don't, not most. We spend a HUGE amount of money to run our schools and yes some of that is superfluous that I can say for sure.

Insurance - My health insurance is great. Really. It has always been so, no matter where I worked. I am a typical middle class eight to five worker so I don't have some special upgraded package either.

Pollution - In 1969 Chattanooga was voted the dirtiest city in the country! We had some major problems. Remember that this city was basically an industrial and transportation hub. Smoke stacks belching into the sky and fog so thick you could not see. What did we know back then? Not much except keep the people employed whether they can breathe or not. Things have changed immensely. Do a google search of Chattanooga and pollution. You will see our history. It's not perfect but it's good. We don't have trains but we do have Carta and the largest fleet of electric buses in the WORLD! We've come a long way baby.

Recycling - You called it right there. We have a pitiful recycling program BUT we do have one. I would like to see more changes there and hopefully it will happen.

Family attractions - I don't know what you consider FUN for your family but I know that this city has so much to offer that we have a hard time deciding what to do. Skateparks, riverfront, walking bridge, Raccoon Mtn, Lkt Mtn, ChooChoo, outdoor movies... You get the point. Get out there and check it out.

Maybe as a short term resident you have not witnessed the amazing changes in Chattanooga in order to appreciate the metamorphosis it has undergone. It's not great, that much is true BUT it is good. Good enough for me
Thanks for the reply. Do you have kids? I wonder if a survay was done for how many school teachers/admin send their kids to private school what the numbers would look like? Another thing I don't like about the public schools is they contract out the maintenance, and simply put my kids schools are disgusting. I hear and see only the magnet schools are in better shape, why? shouldn't all public schools get the same treatment?

Heatlh Insurance: For comparison reasons: What is your co-pay? deductable? and out of pocket expense should you be hospitalized?

We have done almost every attraction (Skateparks, riverfront, walking bridge, Raccoon Mtn, Lkt Mtn, ChooChoo, outdoor movies, state parks, bike path, Aquarium,) in Chattanooga, so now we have to look else where for entertainment......GA......wish there was a train. These gas prices are hurting many families.

I did not comment on all pollution.....just the water. Can you explain to me why our drinking water is allowed to be contaminated on a daily basis by boats, and factories? why is this allowed?

Everyday tons of garbage is thrown away......this includes recyclable products as well......it seems that Chattanooga is not putting recycling at the top of the list......for a city that claims to be a desirable place to live.....you would think they would put waste control at the top of the list.

You are correct I am a short term resident........and this has allowed me to see things most lifetime resident take for granted.

Last edited by HECDEB; 06-18-2008 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 07:33 PM

114 posts, read 391,294 times
Smile New resident

[ It's not great, that much is true BUT it is good. Good enough for me [/quote]

I have to agree with above post. Have been here 12 months- Family 6- not great but overall I like it so far and so does the family. Lots of activities which are outdoor oriented, Schools not great but add stuff as a parent and I feel it can be better than the private schools- especially when you consider the cost. Life style is affordable- If you do not drive a gas hog then activities are achievable and even then. Nothing is further than 30 minutes. Local aquarium is lot better and better value than Atlanta, Lookouts better than Braves.

Everywhere has its pluses and minuses. For Us Chattanooga is OK and good enough for us. We are happy.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
I'll chime in just to give a perspective since the original post talks about having to drive to Atlanta for variety...

I live in Atlanta. Have for 24 years. I'm originally from Charleston, WV which is actually a near-clone of Chattanooga (physically - minus the tourists as it's sleepier).

Don't be fooled by Atlanta. We're most famous for a few things such as traffic, smog, crime, and sprawl - and I'd hardly consider those family activities.

Ok, we have an Aquarium - billed as the "largest in the world". Well, that's true, in terms of the fact it has more water in the tanks than any other Aquarium. Whoopie. It's still laid out poorly, has almost no crowd control, and is far less interactive than the Tennessee Aquarium with fewer habitat-style exhibits. The area around the Aquarium in Tennessee is actually built-up very nicely, too. In Atlanta, we are only just beginning to build up the Centennial Park area around our Aquarium, and other than the park, all you really have is the Coke Museum (another "Whoopie"). Well, unless interacting with 500 bums asking you for money is considered entertainment, that is. Ok, fine, you have the CNN center - tell me how many kids are really interested in touring stuff like that.

Ok, so you come to Atlanta and see the Aquarium, and the kids get high from all the free Coke samples in the museum. Then what? The Zoo is ok (4 hours). The Botanical Gardens are nice (2 hours). Stone Mountain Park is a decent half day venture if you don't mind driving in the traffic to get to it and dodging bullets in the city of Stone Mountain which is now largely a slum. Six Flags? These days it's just a training ground for gang initiation beatings. So what are you left with? Shopping in malls.

So sure, Atlanta could provide you with a day of "fresh" entertainment - maybe a weekend if you're creative. But you're so worried about gas prices, I should warn you... you'll go through $50 of gas EASY stalled out in traffic here or driving the distances to some of the metro area attractions.

Take the time to get used to Chattanooga and explore the whole area. I have the week off next week for the 4th and I'm going to do what a lot of Atlantans do during that time... head to Chattanooga! LOL

Old 06-24-2008, 09:51 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,914 times
it's true...I know of some Atlantans who like to come up here to escape the concrete jungle. I'll take Chattanooga over the big city any day!

Old 06-25-2008, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,722 times
Chattnooga is a great city. The downtown and north shore area makes it one of the prettiest cities in the south. Dispite a very negative post on here about housing, chattanooga has the lowest cost for housing in the country. Like most cities, homes downtown cost more, but are still way more affordable than they are in big cities. I live in an area called Big Ridge. My home is in a very nice subdivision with a pool, tennis courts, lake access, and parks. It is 3000 sq ft with a large yard, 3 baths, 5 bedrooms and it cost $138,000 in 2003. We plan to sell for around $200 next year. If this house was anywhere in Atlanta, it would cost well over $350, 000. My husband moved here from NYC and he absolutely loves it. We would both prefer NYC, but cannot afford the cost of living there. For the south, chattanooga is a gem.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:24 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Where to start with your post Hecdeb...

Schools - I agree with you about the schools, kinda. The school closest to my home has advanced a child into the 4th grade who cannot read. That's amazing to me BUT we also have a school in our district that another child attends. The homework she brings home for the 4th grade takes my whole department to do and we're not idiots by far. My point is that we DO have some awesome public schools here and some bad ones too. Yes, we need some major changes and a total revamp in some areas but I can't say that private schools are our only option if you live in Hamilton County. That's simply not true and NO most of HCDE employees do not send their own children to private schools. Some do, some don't, not most. We spend a HUGE amount of money to run our schools and yes some of that is superfluous that I can say for sure.

Insurance - My health insurance is great. Really. It has always been so, no matter where I worked. I am a typical middle class eight to five worker so I don't have some special upgraded package either.

Pollution - In 1969 Chattanooga was voted the dirtiest city in the country! We had some major problems. Remember that this city was basically an industrial and transportation hub. Smoke stacks belching into the sky and fog so thick you could not see. What did we know back then? Not much except keep the people employed whether they can breathe or not. Things have changed immensely. Do a google search of Chattanooga and pollution. You will see our history. It's not perfect but it's good. We don't have trains but we do have Carta and the largest fleet of electric buses in the WORLD! We've come a long way baby.

Recycling - You called it right there. We have a pitiful recycling program BUT we do have one. I would like to see more changes there and hopefully it will happen.

Family attractions - I don't know what you consider FUN for your family but I know that this city has so much to offer that we have a hard time deciding what to do. Skateparks, riverfront, walking bridge, Raccoon Mtn, Lkt Mtn, ChooChoo, outdoor movies... You get the point. Get out there and check it out.

Maybe as a short term resident you have not witnessed the amazing changes in Chattanooga in order to appreciate the metamorphosis it has undergone. It's not great, that much is true BUT it is good. Good enough for me
I'll have to agree with this poster. Don't know much about the public schools, but as far as family friendly Chattanooga definitely is. Plus the whole downtown/riverfront area has been revitalized and the city, like most city's in the US, is seeing the initial benefit's of the New Urban movement. With more residential density downtown things should get even better. Nashville is using Chattanooga as a model to revitalize the Cumberland riverfront going though downtown. I would think it's a heck of a lot family friendly than anywhere in Connecticut. I don't think some of the people that have moved down here from other areas can quite appreciate the progress of southern cities in the last decade or so. Our cities were hit particularly hard with the trend of moving to the suburbs after WW2 that is just now starting to reverse. I hope Volkswagen chooses Chatty for the new plant. If they do I plan on submitting the resume and possibly moving there.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:53 PM

25 posts, read 56,643 times
Default We'll be down in Aug!!

Hello All!! I have been reading the recent posts, and we can't wait to get down to Chattanooga!! I have lived in the city (Philly) all my life and I believe there is pros and cons where ever you go! We came down for a visit 2 years ago and fell in love with Chattanooga!! With the good and the bad!! We have been doing long holiday weekends and finally we'll be down for good!!

Old 06-26-2008, 04:58 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybletv View Post
Hello All!! I have been reading the recent posts, and we can't wait to get down to Chattanooga!! I have lived in the city (Philly) all my life and I believe there is pros and cons where ever you go! We came down for a visit 2 years ago and fell in love with Chattanooga!! With the good and the bad!! We have been doing long holiday weekends and finally we'll be down for good!!
how exciting! Hope your transition goes smoothly

Old 06-27-2008, 08:05 PM

77 posts, read 187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifir View Post
Chattnooga is a great city. The downtown and north shore area makes it one of the prettiest cities in the south. Dispite a very negative post on here about housing, chattanooga has the lowest cost for housing in the country. Like most cities, homes downtown cost more, but are still way more affordable than they are in big cities. I live in an area called Big Ridge. My home is in a very nice subdivision with a pool, tennis courts, lake access, and parks. It is 3000 sq ft with a large yard, 3 baths, 5 bedrooms and it cost $138,000 in 2003. We plan to sell for around $200 next year. If this house was anywhere in Atlanta, it would cost well over $350, 000. My husband moved here from NYC and he absolutely loves it. We would both prefer NYC, but cannot afford the cost of living there. For the south, chattanooga is a gem.
Thanks for this reply. My family and I are planning on moving from NYC next year. We have visited in February and coming back in August. Everyone has to do what is best for their family. We have 2 young girls and teenage nieces who need a chance at something better than the concrete jungle.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:36 PM

11 posts, read 38,601 times
I love Chattanooga! My sis lives near by in Harrison! Wish I lived there instead of the arm pit of the US, central Fla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga