Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 06:51 AM

84 posts, read 177,913 times

Advertisements

I am so excited, my husband and I are finally moving to Chattanooga from NW Florida. He starts his job the second week of July and my last day at my job in Florida is July 3rd. I can't wait to start looking for a job up there. His job is near Signal Mountain, so I was wondering if there are any good rentals or duplexes on the mountain and about how much they run? I'm not sure where my job will be, but one slightly longer commute is better than two. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 08:55 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,681,562 times
congrats on your impending move!! If you're looking for an apartment, then look on Mountain Creek Road which is at the base of Signal Mountain. Lots of complexes there. We nearly rented at Fontaine Woods before finding a house that better suited our needs.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:40 AM

46 posts, read 190,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaolive3 View Post
I am so excited, my husband and I are finally moving to Chattanooga from NW Florida. He starts his job the second week of July and my last day at my job in Florida is July 3rd. I can't wait to start looking for a job up there. His job is near Signal Mountain, so I was wondering if there are any good rentals or duplexes on the mountain and about how much they run? I'm not sure where my job will be, but one slightly longer commute is better than two. Thanks for any input.

Good luck. I don't know what you do, but the job market here is bleak. If you don't mind working for $7.00 an hour than you'll be ok.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:35 AM

Default Job Market

I have noticed that the job market is not very good. I was an office manager for several years. I am thinking of going back to school, though. I will keep looking for jobs. I haven't really found anything yet. I can not bring myself to work for like $8.00 or $9.00 an hour. It is slightly depressing. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:36 PM

35 posts, read 166,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaolive3 View Post
I have noticed that the job market is not very good. I was an office manager for several years. I am thinking of going back to school, though. I will keep looking for jobs. I haven't really found anything yet. I can not bring myself to work for like $8.00 or $9.00 an hour. It is slightly depressing. Any suggestions?? Thanks.
If you're fully qualified and you are lucky to find a job in the field that you left, it will probably pay less, but not a whole lot less. Some people make it sound like if you get paid $7.00 for a job here, that same job is going to pay $20.00 hr. somewhere else, which is just not true. The average "professional" job in Atlanta pays on average $7,000 more a year, or $134.00 a week, or $3.35 more on the hour based on a 40 hour week. Atlanta pays more than most southern cities and you get the joy of sitting in your car for 1 1/2 each day in miserable traffic.

You also have to look at things this way as well. My cousin who lives in Atlanta took forever to get a high paying job there as well. What you have in a large market with a lot more jobs and opportunities are 10 times the people sending them their resumes, which a lot of times you don't even get called because of a lot more competition.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:25 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,681,562 times
2,000 jobs paying $30+/hour coming soon

Old 07-27-2008, 05:40 PM

763 posts, read 2,260,421 times
Although the extremely high taxes are burdensome, the cost of living in Chattanooga is extremely low, so even if you are making 25% less, the cost of living is 25% less, and if the taxes were higher where you came from, that's an extra bonus.

From what I hear, the vast majority of the VW jobs will be importing employees from MI, etc. So, although the extra income will help the bottom line in the city's economy, very few locals will be getting those jobs directly. And without the union extortion being possible there, I would expect the jobs to be more in line with the local economy pay-wise, than with the high cost of living in MI. Most cities with auto manufacturing plants and a low cost of living will pay a more reasonable wage of $17-$20 per hour, so it won't wreak havoc with the local economy.

Signal Mountain is getting a new school that should be stellar, so if school is a concern for you, living on the mountain would be ideal. There are rentals there, but I don't know price or if they're readily available. Nice homes, though.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:17 AM

94 posts, read 482,038 times
what about BCBS jobs?

Old 07-28-2008, 05:59 PM

114 posts, read 391,316 times
Default $30+?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
2,000 jobs paying $30+/hour coming soon
Where is the 30$ an hour +. Assembly jobs do not pay that well. The VW will probably pay better than the suppliers but 30$ for manufacturing assembly line is not realistic. Lets not get peoples hopes up too much.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:01 PM

Default First Interview

I got a call from Blue Cross and will be interviewing. I am really excited. It seems like a good place to start and it has great benefits. Hopefully all goes well. Wish me luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga