Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 12:19 PM

63 posts, read 183,958 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
The past year has been a bit of a drama, we bought land just before I disappeared, we put the house on the market with a few different realtors but ended up selling it to the builder we decided to use. I have been out of commission on the forums since the day that we signed the papers basically. Needless to say, after the whole thing is said and (not quite) done, we are now officially living in the Harrison area of Chattanooga. Our neighbors to each side of us and behind us are Ooltewah. Strange zoning for the area.

A few things that I have to share from this process.
~ Take your time looking for that perfect property. Never rush things.
~ If you must find a place to wait it out while you look, take a small, clean, newish, & smaller place with GREAT schools.
~ PURGE before you move, don't take what you don't need or want with you.
~ Pick a realtor based solely on experience, performance, & past sales of homes like yours.....everyone has a really nice relative that they can recommend in the real estate business.
~ Go to see as many houses as you can by the builder that you are going to decide on.
~ Read the SMALL print or put the non-existant on paper concerns you have on paper BEFORE signing with the builder.
~ Realize that hiring a builder/GC doesn't mean that he will actually be on your site the majority of the time and that mistakes that he misses from not being on site do come out of his pocket BUT consequently knocks down the quality of something that is going to go into your home.
~ Make sure the bank is on passing all draws to the builder through your hand BEFORE it goes to the builder. "He with the gold, makes the rules".
~ Make nice with the building inspectors, they are the ones that stand between you and your builder.
~ Put your blood, sweat, and tears into the build so you don't get the urge to run away.
~ Have a list of outrageous items on your build list to "let go" of when you need to.
~ Have someone who has been there, to talk to.
~ LOVE LOVE LOVE your property so that it makes it all worth it in the long run.

Anyway, I am back to the forum now with a bunch of new experiences and wonderful life lessons in the areas listed in the title and willing to share. Loving living out in the country more then I thought I would. Still love visiting the cities and the oceans but a wooded lot off my back porch is a wonderful fall event!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 07:45 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,679,566 times
welcome back

Old 01-04-2009, 10:37 PM

246 posts, read 754,612 times
Boy have you ever busy!

Old 01-05-2009, 04:12 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,001 times
XinaMarie - Welcome back and good rules to follow in your post. Hope to see you around again on the forum.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:49 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,336 times
Talking Let's BUILD a BRIDGE.?

X.M. : Welcome to the clubHouse. GOOD for stickin to your guns.
Time to raise the flag. Seems like you will have a FRONT ROW seat for the VW ramp-up.
Took us about two years to get grass , landscaping going , so sometimes a re-sale lets someome have a vision of the final layout.
.. We are across the lake/river from you in NOrth Soddy ,so we need your talents to get this BRIDGE started to connect both sides of the County.
Make all the neighborhoods more valuable.
............... ..... http://inlinethumb02.webshots.com/41537/2486307270099263945S425x425Q85.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-05-2009, 11:15 PM

63 posts, read 183,958 times
Thanks all for the welcome back. I am hoping to get my computer back soon from the "shop". It has all my pics on them and I have a few. Landscaping would be so nice. I have MUD on half the property and woods in the back that the past neighbors have used for 40 years as a place for their lawn garbage. Time for a major clean up. Think they will help??

Old 01-06-2009, 03:01 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XinaMarie View Post
Thanks all for the welcome back. I am hoping to get my computer back soon from the "shop". It has all my pics on them and I have a few. Landscaping would be so nice. I have MUD on half the property and woods in the back that the past neighbors have used for 40 years as a place for their lawn garbage. Time for a major clean up. Think they will help??
Maybe invite them over for a pig roast and bonfire??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga