Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 09:17 PM

5 posts, read 13,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Ah I looked at that one on the appraiser's page as my friend lives there too and I am curious like that (for her sake of course)... It's too bad they are bulked together like they are on the appraisal page but I suppose you could still get an estimate on how much your unit is worth (looks like an average of $20k) and calculate from there.

Yeah, a lot of information, just not transparent. So I called the appraiser’s office, 209 -7300 and asked for the assessment for my pat, and the tax paid on a pat is called an improvement tax. The calculation is, (appraisal value x 4(25% of total value) = taxable value / 100(tax rate per $100 dollars) = after tax value x 3.1540(county tax rate) + 2.2020(city tax rate) = improvement tax.

Last edited by Denise0515; 08-10-2009 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: taking out cues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 01:42 AM

600 posts, read 2,260,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
If you live in Chattanooga, you will get hit with state, county, and city taxes, although the rate if fairly low. The state level of property tax is 9th best in the USA, but that doesn't take all the levels of taxes into account.

Chattanooga has the highest sales tax in the USA.

There is not state income tax. TN is one of only 3 states with no income tax, so that is good.

TN is a right to work state, so that benefits everyone.

But, there are sewer taxes, stormwater runoff fees, etc. Many, many hidden taxes that will vary based upon where you live.

So, the tax picture is more than simply the amount you are looking at on your tax bill. They will get it from you in another way, and if you live in the city, they will get it from you both ways.
My property tax bill has NO state taxes on it. How do you figure there are state taxes on your property tax bill in Chattanooga?

Old 08-11-2009, 01:53 AM

Current Property Tax Rate

The link above provides tax rates for all of Hamilton County. Note that there are no state tax rates, only county and city rates.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
The person was asking about Chattanooga taxes specifically, and those are excluded in your table. They are among the highest in the nation.

But, that is offset by the low cost of living and strong economy.

The person shouldn't go in blind, and then be hit by the one of the highest overall tax burdens in the USA.
You don't live here anymore, so why are you posting bad information about Chattanooga? Even with the high sales tax in Hamilton county, the residents here still have a tax advantage over the rest of the county because of the lack of a state income tax, which would be a bigger tax burden then the few pennies on the dollar that we pay in sales tax, which is also deductible on your federal income tax. Did you get your facts off of newsmax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga