Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:54 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,545,517 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen much written about Hixson...maybe I just looked in the wrong places. What is it like for a retiree? I have seen some reasonably priced homes, but what are the neighborhoods like? Is there much to do there? With gas prices what they are, we would like to be someplace that has a bit of everything...resturants, bike paths, fishing, etc.. Also...where can I find pictures of Hixson...did I miss those someplace too?? Thanks for any information anyone can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 12:05 AM

763 posts, read 2,260,026 times
Hixson, outside the Chattanooga city limits is pretty nice, as long as you don't have kids that go to high school. Hixson High School has become a war zone with all the inner city kids that are being bussed up there.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:28 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Default North Side Hub

CAR: Must be many threads on here about Hixon. The North- West side of the river/lake above Chatt. Major road Rt #153 goes East-west connect major rd #27(north to Sody - Dayton -Dunlap) with I-75 on the east side of river to Cleveland(Hamilton mall , etc.
. Hixon is major shopping complex, Sears/Penny's Enclosed MALL, Target, many Mega churches. Library, car inspection station (Emissions), movie theaters. Beautiful County park ,CHETER FROST ,Pictured below, has fall county fair, many fishing tournaments, with big launch ramps, camping.
. loTS OF APT BLDGS, & NOW TOWNHOUSES. Some early retiree still prefer larger lot size or country living like Soddy/ Sale creek , right on the waterfront.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:25 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
Hixson is a good area. As a matter of fact a couple of ppl from C-D land REALLY like it I grew up there and still have family over that way. You have Chester Frost which Split sweetly provided a pic of, the river walk and Greenway Farms as well as quite a few marinas and golf courses if you like that sorta thing. It's close enough to downtown and a 3 large hospitals. You can find just about anything you need there including the big box stores as well as many restaurants. The major arteries (Hwy 153 and Hixson Pike) can get pretty loud and congested but once you are off them it's a pretty nice place to park

As far as pics, I can't do much except to recommend local.live.com and select bird's eye view. You can cruise Hixson and see how things look. It's pretty neat.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:17 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks elgusano for the information...thank heaven I don't have kids in high school! SPLIT thanks for the picture...beautiful! And jkmewright...I went to that site and wow...that was fun! I appreciate all of your help. My husband and I are driving up there in October for a couple of days and I can't wait! We want to check out things in that area as a possible place to retire. Since we live in California now, with everything here as expensive as it is, I think we will be able to live a little better on retirement there in your beautiful state of Tennessee!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:25 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
two thumbs up for Hixson! Close to the action of Chattanooga, but peaceful otherwise

Old 07-10-2008, 07:11 AM

600 posts, read 2,259,753 times
Hi just tried to buy a house in Hixson, in Colonial Shores, but the deal fell through. Hixson was my first choice, and I did tons of research.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4icmusic View Post
Hi just tried to buy a house in Hixson, in Colonial Shores, but the deal fell through. Hixson was my first choice, and I did tons of research.
We haven't made up our minds, but it's looking better all the time! Thanks for the input!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:38 PM

763 posts, read 2,260,026 times
Isn't Colonial Shores actually in Lakesite?

Speaking of which, Lakesite is pretty nice.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:27 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by u4icmusic View Post
sorry to hear...hope you find something comparable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga