Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 12:38 PM

6 posts, read 23,463 times

Advertisements

I am planning a mini-vacation to Chattanooga with my three children (ages 1, 5, and 7). I consider it "mini" given the fact that we live in Huntsville so Chattanooga is only a two hour drive. I really wanted to take the kids to Lake Winnie amusement park, spend the night and then maybe take them to Rock City or the aquarium before heading home. My questions are as follows:

*Is Lake Winnie an all-day adventure or does it only take half-a-day to ride the majority of the rides? In other words, should I plan on doing something else the other half of the day?

*Would my 5 year old (boy) and 7 year old (girl) enjoy Rock City with Mothergoose Village more than the aquarium or is the aquarium a must-see? In all honesty, the idea of spending several hours looking at fish does not really appeal to me but then again I've never been to any aquarium so perhaps I'm making an unfair assessment.

*Although many have recommmended the Sheraton Read Hotel I'm afraid it's a bit out of my price range (it's just shy of $200 when you include all taxes and fees) . On the other hand, the kids are just as excited about staying in a "cool" hotel as they are about the amusement park so I'm not looking for a cheapy with a blinking vacancy sign. I'm guessing "cool" equates to something with an indoor pool and I'd prefer a room with a refrigerator for the baby bottles.

I would sincerely appreciate any and all advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 05:50 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,603,237 times
Spend half a day at Lake Winnie, and then take them to the aquirium.
The aquirium is really cool... plus after spending half a day in this heat, you will be ready to get inside to enjoy the AC. Have fun!

Old 07-13-2008, 07:04 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,257,272 times
Hi!
Kids of ALL ages can enjoy an aquarium. There are penguins, otters and all kinds of stuff that are just awesome! I have not been to this one yet but have been to several others across the country and we have enjoyed every one of them. They are very rarely just fish. I am actually doing something similar later this week with my hubby and boys (ages 17 and 13) we are all excited about the trip and it is only 3 hours away for us hahahahhaha
I found a great deal for a package through this site. Chattanooga Packages - Available Packages It is through the chamber so I believe non-profit.
I can not comment until next week about how it all works out but we got tickets and room, one price.
But seeing as we are going as well, I will ask you, what/where is Lake Winnie?

Last edited by mbmouse; 07-13-2008 at 07:14 PM..

Old 07-13-2008, 07:30 PM

Thank you, yankeegirl313 and mbmouse, for your response.

Looks like we'll be making a trip to the Tennessee Aquarium. I'll definitely check out the link you provided for package deals.

As for Lake Winnie, actually named Lake Winnepesaukah, I think it might be located in Georgia. Here is the link to the website: Welcome To Lake Winnepesaukah Amusement Park! . My understanding is that it is only about 20 minutes from the Lookout Mountain attractions and seems like a fun amusement park complete with one of the oldest wooden roller coasters. Having three small children, I shudder at the thought of going someplace crowded like Six Flags not to mention the long lines we'd encounter. I heard that even on the most crowded days, the wait for rides at Lake Winnie are around 10 minutes. Sounds like my kind of amusement park.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:48 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,660,753 times
within walking distance of the Aquarium is the Children's Discovery Museum. Clifford the Big Red Dog is set up there and the kids really love 'em!

Old 07-13-2008, 08:15 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,257,272 times
Oh, Lake Winnie looks like a fun day! We all love the wooded roller coasters and rides. I think we will do that Friday before we meet up with the Chatt buddies for the concert in the park. They have a 2 for 1 special on rides on Fridays if you being a coke can. I love saving $42 and having a fun day with the kids hahahahaha.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:20 PM

Thank you TriDad, my children love Clifford.

Hope you have a great time mbmouse.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:16 AM

849 posts, read 2,947,226 times
Regarding the Sheraton Read House, they have a special if you go directly to their website, where you rent a room for 2 nights, get the third free. Since we were there for 3 nights, that dropped the rate to $120. Still a little pricey, but worth it - my two cents.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:15 AM

58 posts, read 388,031 times
Default Kid hotel - Chattanooga Choo-Choo?

As for the hotel - although it is definetly showing its age and some wear and tear around the edges last time I stopped by (AKA - getting run down), the kids might like the Chattanooga Choo-Choo - it has rooms in old train cars and lots of touristy things all around its sprawling campus which is near downtown and all the attractions. I think it is actually a Holiday Inn property now - but is still in the old station building there which is kind of cool.

I stayed there as a kid 30+ years or so ago (back when it was run by Hilton and was nicely managed) and had a great time. My parents got us our own train car room and we ran around the place all day and had a great time. Lots of big indoor pools too with water slides, etc. But kids should probably still find plenty to do there.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:56 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,629,189 times
The ChooChoo is also next to the "bus barn" for the electric shuttle. Handy eh?

Berna, when you do come, please take the children over the river to Coolidge Park. Just the best place for kids and adults too. There is a carousel and ground spray water fountain.

Lake Winnie is alot of fun. There are quite a few rides for the lil ones too so they don't feel left out. Huge GROSS carp in the lake that LOVE popcorn for the wildlife part of the entertainment lol We go a few times each summer and always have a blast. Cheap and not too crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga