Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 10:41 AM

489 posts, read 2,009,752 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Some of you already know my situation in Ft. Myers and my strong desire to move away. As I consider another relocation, I am perplexed as I attempt to decide to leave FL altogether and move closer to my aging parents (they live in Section, AL) or go back to where I was happy in FL. As I was looking at a map yesterday and considering options for relo to AL, I realized that Chattanooga is not far from my folks at all. Sent email to Sunny to get opinion concerning same, but as I read on, I see the familiar name "Hiknapster" who moved from Ft. Myers to TN. Please everyone comment on life in Chattanooga - if you have any opinions at all - and in particular, I would appreciate some comments from Hiknapster since you know the issues of Ft. Myers and can best tell me what to expect if I choose this area of TN. Sunny, I look for your comments here or in email and welcome ANYONE AND EVERYONE to tell me the good, bad, and ugly of Chattanooga. Might I be disappointed? Thanks everyone for all opinions and ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 01:25 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,412,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
Hello all. Some of you already know my situation in Ft. Myers and my strong desire to move away. As I consider another relocation, I am perplexed as I attempt to decide to leave FL altogether and move closer to my aging parents (they live in Section, AL) or go back to where I was happy in FL. As I was looking at a map yesterday and considering options for relo to AL, I realized that Chattanooga is not far from my folks at all. Sent email to Sunny to get opinion concerning same, but as I read on, I see the familiar name "Hiknapster" who moved from Ft. Myers to TN. Please everyone comment on life in Chattanooga - if you have any opinions at all - and in particular, I would appreciate some comments from Hiknapster since you know the issues of Ft. Myers and can best tell me what to expect if I choose this area of TN. Sunny, I look for your comments here or in email and welcome ANYONE AND EVERYONE to tell me the good, bad, and ugly of Chattanooga. Might I be disappointed? Thanks everyone for all opinions and ideas.
Well, hi there too !
Golly, I understand completely where you are coming from, because I am sitting fed up here in Port St. Lousy....lol.
Was thinking about moving to TN9Since I have friends there, and just love the people and friends there), but, seems like we are ending back up in Pennsylvania, where we originally came from.
Anyway, seems like this is a new trend right now, moving into TN, NC and Georgia is just about done I guess?
The area around Chattanooga as well as Chattanooga iteslef are BEAUTYFUL! But, it's a tourist place, and living can be pricey there, as I researched. Also, could you put up with a lot of traffic? There are other places in TN which are still affortable to live at, and still close to to the border of Alabama.
Was never in Alabama, but, TN is absolutely breath taking, to say the least.
The absolut best person to talk to about this (she helped me with great info....and PATIENCE ) is Hiknapster. lol
Not only that, but she is funny as well....lol.
I am sure she will be able to tell you anything you want to know about TN, and if she doesn't know, she'll find out for you.
Good luck making up your mind...that's going to be a toughy!!

Old 02-08-2007, 01:54 PM

Thanks for your input, MovingBack. I have also considered going to back to where I originally came from but am just not sure if I can handle the hard winter in Chicagoland. I didn't do so well with it while living there for the first 30 years of my life, and now I've been away for eight years.

After having lived here, I know that I do not want to live somewhere that is truly "touristy" again. By "touristy", I mean I do not want to live somewhere that has increased population 6 months out of the year and a lot of vacation rentals everywhere you turn due to snowbirds. I didn't have to experience that terrible phenomena while living in St. Pete, believe it or not. Things were the same all year round there. As far as traffic goes, if the roads at least make sense up there, and there is more than one or two ways to get around town, that will be great. Ft. Myers wasn't mapped out or masterplanned; therefore, there is much chaos here as far as getting anywhere. That condition worsens during "season" and causes you to not want to go anywhere at all.
"Port St. Lousy" - that is too funny. I lovingly refer to Ft. Myers as "Fort Misery". Good luck with your move.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:01 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,625,756 times
About Chattanooga. I know it is a huge tourist attraction but it very rarely affects my life as a native unless we have a large event (Riverbend). Then who can tell the tourists from the natives? lol Traffic... waiting 15 minutes to get out of downtown is NOT traffic by my standards. I do hear alot of concern about employment but I have never had any trouble getting a decent paying job that supports my family. I understand that your family is in AL. We are so very close to AL that you can get to the state line in 15 minutes. 10 minutes to GA. Pricing in North Al is great IMHO as well as GA but TN does not charge state income tax, so 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other

Old 02-08-2007, 02:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,077,321 times
Hello to my FED UP friend from Fort Myers! I just got out of work! Having a great day! Just got a promotion! I sure didn't see that coming!

Anyway, thank you Moving BacktoPA, you are really sweet!

First of all, I think Chattanooga is a fantastic choice! In my humble opinion, I don't find Chatt to be a touristy place. Now, I can see why you would think that, because it has such wonderful things to do!

For example, Chattanooga has a beautiful art museum that sits high on a bluff overlooking the beautiful Tennessee River. Up there is an art community with shops and a bread and breakfast. A stunning pedestrian bridge, I believe the longest in the world crosses the river, leading to a park and a restored carousel.

There are TWO aquariums that sit on the riverfront, when saltwater and the other being the largest freshwater aquarium in the world. There is an electric trolley that travels downtown for free.

But make no mistake about it, Chattanooga is revitalized, but it is a WORKING city. Baby, you will not be in Fort Myers, anymore!

There are not seasonal visitors, the streets are not clogged with snowbirds.

Chattanooga is where I REALLY wanted to live. I still like it much more than Knoxville. The only reason that we are not there is because my husband's boss sold the business and the house that we rented from him. We needed to move fast, lest we be homeless, and there were no auto mechanics positions advertised at the time.

FedUp, I don't think you can do better than Chattanooga, and compared to Fort Myers, it is VERY affordable!

Go for it!

Oh, and my husband lived in Chicago for the first twelve years of his life. All of his family now lives in southwest Florida. He loves Tennessee!

Old 02-08-2007, 11:43 PM

11 posts, read 58,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
Homes and property are cheaper in Alabama we have had friends who left the Chattanooga area to go to Alabama to buy their land.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:51 AM

89 posts, read 121,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMOM View Post
Homes and property are cheaper in Alabama we have had friends who left the Chattanooga area to go to Alabama to buy their land.
It really sounds like Floridians move to a area because its cheaper then Florida not because they love the area and the culture of the place there going too is that true. Alls you ever hear on these boards is Floridians saying the same thing "well its cheaper then Florida so I cant go wrong" why is that????

Old 02-09-2007, 12:49 PM

JohnnyCountry, I am not wanting out for financial reasons. I am also not a native Floridian. I will definitely leave Ft. Myers; however, I need to consider my aging parents in Section, AL, as I consider leaving FL altogether. From all I've seen in many, many trips from and to Chicagoland (my hometown), FL has nothing on the beauty of TN. Absolutely nothing. I have always thought that the outdoors in TN were absolutely breath-taking.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:05 PM

12 posts, read 36,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYCOUNTRY View Post
It really sounds like Floridians move to a area because its cheaper then Florida not because they love the area and the culture of the place there going too is that true. Alls you ever hear on these boards is Floridians saying the same thing "well its cheaper then Florida so I cant go wrong" why is that????
Because it has become impossible for most to OWN a home/land here.It has become a 450k townhome/glorified condo sorta place.It is GREAT here but if you can`t own I am sure other places are great as well.It would just be a different atmosphere ect.I love Fort Lauderdale,Florida.I live 5 minutes fromt he beach and the State is great but everyplace has alot to offer.Just different things.

Alot of the people that came here made awesome businesses and really improved things.They just have more $$$ than us typing on the screen about this.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:18 PM

Thank you Hiknapster and to all for your encouraging words and helpful information! What a relief to hear such good things from a former Ft. Myers resident about a place that I am considering.
We are planning a trip in mid-March to visit my folks and will visit Chattanooga while there so that we can get a feel for this beautiful place. I'm sure I will have more questions or concerns between now and then and definitely after, but you all have really put me at ease and given the area such a great recommendation. A great weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Thank you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga