Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 03:38 PM

29 posts, read 196,670 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all! I posted some questions on her about moving to chatt around the same time last year and everyone was really helpful. I made the move successfully and have been working non-stop since I got here. I ended up finding an apt in Fort O and I LOVE it here. Unfortunately, I work downtown and the gas is killing me. I found a place downtown that I like, but it's more $120 more in rent, plus electricity, which I've heard is expensive in TN (here in GA i barely pay anything). All my friends have voted for me to move saying that the extra money I pay in rent/elect would still be lower that the 30 mile trip I make everyday. I just thought I'd throw this out there for some non-biased opinions (because I know my friends would like me to be closer and I don't know about the financial tradeoff). Any thoughts would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,683,240 times
we thought everyone on C-D gets a discount from EPB since our bill has been much lower than what it was in FL If it were me...I'd make the move and you'll ease into the financial adjustment. Sounds like your social life will improve a bit too!

Say, you don't work at a bank do you?

Old 09-25-2008, 06:47 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times
Scarlett! You made it!! I was wondering about you the other day and here you are! My folks from Oregon made it all the way to Rossville which is close to you, funny lol Check your electric bill, price per kwh and we'll do some direct comparisons ok? I'll dig my bill out of my bag and we'll do some direct comparisons. Let's see...

Mine comes out to around .0896 per kwh after all the little fees and such are added. Same month last year was .07756

Here's what EPB had to say:

EPB Residential Electric Rates (as of April 1, 2008)
$0.07608 per kWh

Current Residential Fuel Cost Adjustment (as of July 1, 2008)
$0.00723 per kWh

EPB Residential Customer Charge (as of July 1, 2007)
$7.25 per month

Old 09-25-2008, 10:23 PM

600 posts, read 2,260,962 times
I'd have to agree with Tridad 100%. Even with the EPB rate increase, I don't think you'd end up paying more in Chattanooga that you were in Fort Ogelthorpe. Plus, time is money, spending an extra hour on the road each day is a money losing proposition, with gas and productivity time being wasted. Depending on the size of your apartment and how you use electricity, your bill could actually be the same or smaller. I also think downtown Chattanooga has way more to offer as far as culture and quality of life. Also, if you don't like it, you can always move again to another location or back to Fort O.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the replies

tri-dad, no I work at a restaurant downtown. One good thing about moving to DT is that I might find another job I like better. Being so far away now, it's hard to find anything.

jkmewright, yes I made it one piece! I kept meaning to come back here and post and before I knew it, its been a whole year. I can't believe how quickly the time has gone.
I'm not sure if I'm reading the elec. bill right. it says .007200 (per kwh). I only pay about $14/mo for service.

Thanks for the logical view on things u4, lol, it's what I needed to hear, now I just need to convince myself of it.

I'm still debating on the move. I've been trying to contact RiverCity PM about some of their properties but they are terrible about getting back to you.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:39 PM

9 posts, read 22,172 times
Default moved to tn...

I miss fto trade apts with you

Old 10-05-2008, 11:01 PM

LOL where are you?

Old 10-10-2008, 01:48 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,683,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletthurricane View Post
Thanks for the replies
I'm still debating on the move. I've been trying to contact RiverCity PM about some of their properties but they are terrible about getting back to you.

RiverCity PM is notorious for not getting back with people. They finally called me back after I'd secured a rental on my own. I would recommend finding a place on your own. If they're that bad before you're a client, imagine how much worse it will be after you sign with them, and need them to do something (like fix the plumbing) Also, I noticed their rents seem to be inflated by at least $100/month. How else do they make money?

Again, just my 2 cents

Old 10-16-2008, 11:21 PM

After 3 weeks and countless emails, voicemails and phonecalls, one of the agents called me back, and it wasn't even for the place I wanted to look at. They are terrible. And they have a monopoly on the rentals around here. Every other ad is one of theirs.

I've been driving around north chat looking for places, no luck yet. I love that area though, hope I find something.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
Also, I noticed their rents seem to be inflated by at least $100/month. How else do they make money?

Again, just my 2 cents
and a $49.00 convenience fee to pay your rent online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga