Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2008, 06:11 PM

4 posts, read 11,232 times

Advertisements

Was wondering in anybody could give me some advice...
My family is moving there and would love to know how the people are with mixed couples? I am white and my husband is black and our 3 children are mixed I worry about it affecting my children can anybody give me feedback thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 11:12 AM

184 posts, read 676,315 times
I find everyone I've met to be extremely accepting & open minded here. I assume you might possibly experience a bit of closed mindedness or curious looks outside the city limit as this is the south. I grew up in Southern Alabama & I find Chattanooga to be far more diverse than the majority of the south. Chattanooga seems much more live and let live than the bible preaching heart of dixie. I'd love to see what other chattanoogans think about this as I have only lived here for one month.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:31 PM

600 posts, read 2,260,393 times
I've seen a lot of mixed couples here, and from what I can see, nobody gives them a second look, which they shouldn't. I think it's getting more progressive here all the time.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:47 PM

340 posts, read 1,511,907 times
While still conservative, Chattanooga is more liberal than any surrounding area that I am aware of.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:49 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,874,911 times
Thumbs up Role Model

P: I think a family with some children is already a Role Model in the community. Our County school superintentant DR JIm S is a Blank man setting high standards to improve county scores and better drop out rates.
... Many churches here and last few years New Orleans Katrina storm relocation people were accepted. Some even had a house built for them .
Just had hurricane Ike evacuatees in city for extended stay , and even had weddings for a few.
... Not all roses in the city, as high weekend gun shootings around the south side still has the trend continuing.
.. Lots of outdoor sports , hobbies , activities for those children to appreciate our county. Chester Frost county park is a wonderful swim / camp playground facility. City almost finished a wonderful transformation and very clean.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:52 PM

390 posts, read 1,701,442 times
I would agree with previous posters. I see a lot of multiracial children in the area. I see them both with their relatives of various backgrounds too. I just don't think it seems to be a big thing, which is awesome. I also see a lot of families that have adopted transracially in the area and again no biggy. Our friends who adopted from Haiti tell me they get the occasional stare from an older person, but are not sure if it is more curiosity about the relationship or because of racism. They like to think it is curiosity

It might help to come visit and get a feel for yourself if you have the opportunity! Best to you and you family as you make the transition! We moved here 13 months ago and have never looked back. We love it!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:29 AM

6 posts, read 8,547 times
I believe it depends how close you are to the city. Urbanites are more liberal than those 50 miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga