U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Chattanooga details, winters, snow accumulation, trees lose leaves in winter, HOA fees, cost of living, shuttle services, public transit, Black Hills area, affordability

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 12:43 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,891,109 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about Chattanooga? We were looking at pics of it on City Data's main page this morning and thought it looked beautiful. It reminds us of our Black Hills area and we love it there, but we are hoping to escape the cold of the midwest in about a year. We have family in Fla. and that's where our main focus has been, but we are open to all options since we still have 11 months to search. We love vacationing in Fla. and love the beach and palm trees, but we are also taking into account the posts about affordability that are on this forum.

Does Chattanooga have much of winter? One place says it averages 8 inches of snow a year, another place says it averages 2.8 inches per year. Which is more accurate?

Do the trees lose their leaves in the winter?

Please reassure me that people from the midwest are accepted there and that there is little prejudice there.

I would still have to work full time and would be interested in general employment~ie motel front desk, restaurant hostess, convenience store attendant, etc. Would full time employment with group health insurance be available there and would an outsider have a fair chance at being employed? ( I have good references and a good work history so that part of it shouldn't be a drawback.)

We checked out a few condos and they seem quite affordable. What is the range for HOA fees in Chattanooga?

Is 11.65 per 1,000 an up to date number for your tax rate?

We found that you have a shuttle service and CAARTA bus system there. Would I be able to get around quite well with public transit~such as to work and home, etc? Is it reliable? (I do have a car and I do drive, BUT I don't like to drive in traffic)

I know that a LOT of people have been relocating to Tn. so is the population with metro still about 500,000 or is that figure outdated?

Are there any pics of Chattanooga posted on this forum?

Any info that you can give me would be so much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 01:11 PM

6,289 posts, read 22,109,554 times
I don't live in Chattanooga, but I'm been there quite often. It's a nice, little city.

I won't try to answer all your questions. Perhaps a local will come along to answer the ones I can't.

"Does Chattanooga have much of winter? One place says it averages 8 inches of snow a year, another place says it averages 2.8 inches per year. Which is more accurate?" The most accurate chart I've seen lists it as 4.3 inches. That sounds about right to me. Most of Tennessee has a fairly mild winter, but we do have a definite winter, especially in the higher elevation areas. There will be several days each year where the temperature dips into the teens or single digits; some years the low will be below 0.

"Do the trees lose their leaves in the winter?" Yes, the area is covered in hardwood forests.

"Please reassure me that people from the midwest are accepted there and that there is little prejudice there." That should not be a problem. As a matter of fact, people might be more friendly because you're from someplace else.

"I would still have to work full time and would be interested in general employment~ie motel front desk, restaurant hostess, convenience store attendant, etc. Would full time employment with group health insurance be available there and would an outsider have a fair chance at being employed? ( I have good references and a good work history so that part of it shouldn't be a drawback.)" I can't answer this completely (since I don't work in these areas) but I would think this would be standard. I'm not sure about convenience stores however; some of them may very well not provide health insurance. You won't really be considered an outsider; that is more of an issue in very small towns were everyone knows everyone else.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:25 PM

22,583 posts, read 51,330,659 times
Hello Jammie!

I've run into you on the Florida forum a lot. Welcome to the Tennessee forum.

I can't answer a lot of these questions, but I can answer a couple of them.

The most important thing to discuss is weather. Where you are from, well, you will find what Chattanooga considers winter to be pretty laughable, and I mean that in a GOOD way!

First of all, I'm from Mass and lived in Florida for nine years. I've experienced two winters here. Last year, there was about an inch of snow one day and it melted by about 11 a.m., and another day there was about one-half inch and that melted even earlier.

This year it has been a little colder. Still, we had flurries once and that didn't stick and we had about one-half inch and that stayed until about 1 p.m.

The sun is too warm here for it to ever last.

Be forewarned, when they say it gets down in the teens (it was only for a few days last year) they are talking about at NIGHT. Typical weather for the winter is 40s during the day and low 30s at night. And winter is short. It usually runs from November to March, if that. In April, the flowers and trees are in full bloom. It is glorious!

For example, there are already some daffodils blooming. Right now, it is 63 and it will get down to 36 tonight.

Bear in mind, I'm in Knoxville, which is about 90 minutes NORTH of Chattanooga.

Yes, there is a good bus system in Chattanooga. The city is beautiful, with a stunning redeveloped riverfront. There are two huge aquariums and a beautiful art museum that overlooks the Tennessee River.

Check out some info on the area at www.chattanoogafun.com

Gosh, I should really work for their chamber of commerce!

Old 02-25-2007, 03:04 PM

Alleycat, thank you for your response and it's nice to meet you. You did have a lot to offer and gave me some answers I was really looking for~like lack of winter and being accepted.

Hiknapster, I'm so glad you responded to my post. I knew that you moved to Tn. from Florida. Although I don't like snow at all, I could easily tolerate an inch or two of snow on occasion. I did survive the 8 inches of snow that we just got this weekend and I also survived our two weeks of -25 windchills we had a couple weeks ago. So winter there would be MUCH better then it is up here. Thank you also for letting me know the transit system is good. Of course, my husband would not fear driving and we'd definitely keep one vehicle, but I really don't like driving in cities that are over 150,000 mainly because I'm just not used to it. The Riverfront and the aqauariums sound just wonderful. We like things like that and although we love the beaches and the palms, we also like areas like our Black Hills area and Chattanooga looks so much like that. Are there pics of the city on this forum? 63 degrees and flowers blooming already? I'm on my way down to check it out. What was your main reason for relocating to Tn? Was the cost of living in Fla. one of the driving forces? Is it really that expensive there? There are just so many people that feel it's expensive that it has me worried. We're not rich. The things I've checked on Tn. show that it's comparable to the cost of living that we have here. That would work out well for us because we don't have to struggle to survive here.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:11 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,617,248 times
Thumbs up Chattanooga web sites.

J: Welcome. We have many web sites that the city and chamber of Comm posts all the festivals / receration on. Will pvt msg you with my album id.
Snow this year was one storm ( schools closed) two inches, melted by night-time. Secret is out for the city. Condo Open_-house tour downtown Price range $250K to $ 850K. Some now over $1 million. Also international buyers. Blue cross/blue shield doing $300 million HQ downtown hilltop.
Search many sites. example. "Chattanooga.gov" also the Nine day RIVERBendFestival.com.?.........................[IMG][/IMG] .....................Beautiful trees here. 95% loose leaves for winter. Very bright red / yellow colors. Spring time great with white PEAR trees, look like covered with Snow. RedBud trees and many Dogwood. Not to mention tons of Wildflower varieties and Day Lillies.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:19 PM

Split, that sounds great. I'll check out the sites you provided and I'll be waiting for the sites on PM. Thank you. Are you originally from Tn. or Dayton, Ohio~OR are you moving to Tn. from Dayton?

Old 02-25-2007, 04:27 PM

22,583 posts, read 51,330,659 times
There are pictures that are posted on the city data front page, but I simply do not think that the pictures do the place justice. I wish I had pictures to post for you. I would do it, but I'm going to have to take my time off for medical reasons. I also don't have days off with my husband.

Google "Chattanooga" and click on images. I know there are a few on there.

I moved to Tennessee because in February of 2005 I had enough of Florida. I had lived there for nine years.

I did not know about city-data, or it didn't exist then. I just googled my brains out. I checked demographics for a lot of areas. It was time consuming. I was not working at the time and it took a good part of my day for months. I REALLY wanted to move to Chattanooga. But at the last minute, literally the day before we pulled out of Florida, my husband got a job interview in Knoxville. We had no place to live. We literally lived in a tent until we found a place to rent. It was October 1 and I was terrified that it would be cold. It wasn't.

My husband got the job immediately. We found a place to live in nine days. We still live here.

I wanted to live in the south. I knew that the people were very friendly. I love country music, although I LOVE all kinds of music. I knew that it was a Christian area, although I don't even usually go to church. I figured at least the people might be nicer and the crime may be lower and the morals may be better, since I am raising a little girl.

I figured right. I love it here.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:40 PM
kar

179 posts, read 726,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There are pictures that are posted on the city data front page, but I simply do not think that the pictures do the place justice. I wish I had pictures to post for you. I would do it, but I'm going to have to take my time off for medical reasons. I also don't have days off with my husband.

Google "Chattanooga" and click on images. I know there are a few on there.

I moved to Tennessee because in February of 2005 I had enough of Florida. I had lived there for nine years.

I did not know about city-data, or it didn't exist then. I just googled my brains out. I checked demographics for a lot of areas. It was time consuming. I was not working at the time and it took a good part of my day for months. I REALLY wanted to move to Chattanooga. But at the last minute, literally the day before we pulled out of Florida, my husband got a job interview in Knoxville. We had no place to live. We literally lived in a tent until we found a place to rent. It was October 1 and I was terrified that it would be cold. It wasn't.

My husband got the job immediately. We found a place to live in nine days. We still live here.

I wanted to live in the south. I knew that the people were very friendly. I love country music, although I LOVE all kinds of music. I knew that it was a Christian area, although I don't even usually go to church. I figured at least the people might be nicer and the crime may be lower and the morals may be better, since I am raising a little girl.

I figured right. I love it here.
She is so right about everything she has mentioned here. We left Fort Myers, Florida for the same reasons after living there for 12 years. Like hiknapster, we lived in Ma. before we moved to Florida. We enjoyed Florida for the first few years but the charm wore off really fast. The Fort Myers area like most of South Florida is so shallow and fake. My wife and I found no real purpose of community at all. Even though we are originally from Ma. It did take me a bit to get use to the cooler temperatures again. We just wished when we made the decision to move from Ma. that we would of moved to Tennessee first. We truly enjoy it here.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:46 PM

Thank you for sharing that, Hiknapster. Your story was so interesting and you were SO brave. We've never moved more then a few miles before and this will be our first BIG move and according to my husband, it will be our ONLY move so we HAVE to get it right the first time. It actually sounds like something we would've found to be adventurous several years ago. I'm glad that you like it there and it's neat to know that Chattanooga would've been your first choice.

Kar, the good thing is that you ended up living where you're really happy. We truly love Florida, or especially I do. I guess my husband has more reservations about it then I do. The thing is that there are SO many people who have left the state and so many that are there seem to be struggling and hoping to leave there. (Or move to the northern part) Of course, I can't understand it cause we've only vacationed there and have never lived there. If it was only a few people who disliked it, we could just ignore it and continue with plans of living there in the future. There seems to have been such a population explosion there and so many people complain about the traffic and other things that I'm starting to rethink this. The entire population of our state is 750,000 people so we're used to a slower pace of life with less traffic and fewer people. Tn. just seems to be one of the top choices of so many that it's got to have a lot to offer.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:05 PM
kar

179 posts, read 726,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Thank you for sharing that, Hiknapster. Your story was so interesting and you were SO brave. We've never moved more then a few miles before and this will be our first BIG move and according to my husband, it will be our ONLY move so we HAVE to get it right the first time. It actually sounds like something we would've found to be adventurous several years ago. I'm glad that you like it there and it's neat to know that Chattanooga would've been your first choice.

Kar, the good thing is that you ended up living where you're really happy. We truly love Florida, or especially I do. I guess my husband has more reservations about it then I do. The thing is that there are SO many people who have left the state and so many that are there seem to be struggling and hoping to leave there. (Or move to the northern part) Of course, I can't understand it cause we've only vacationed there and have never lived there. If it was only a few people who disliked it, we could just ignore it and continue with plans of living there in the future. There seems to have been such a population explosion there and so many people complain about the traffic and other things that I'm starting to rethink this. The entire population of our state is 750,000 people so we're used to a slower pace of life with less traffic and fewer people. Tn. just seems to be one of the top choices of so many that it's got to have a lot to offer.
Hi Jammie,
It is true that the population in Florida until recently has increased. According to the moving company United Vanlines this is the first time in 30 years they have moved more people OUT of Florida for all of 2006 than they'd moved in. If you need to work for a living Florida may not be the place for you. Wages are much lower than the rest of the country. We thought it would be like being on vacation all the time. That was not the case. We won't mind going on vacation once and awhile to Florida but we will never live full time ever again in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>