Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:25 PM

635 posts, read 1,686,161 times

Advertisements

I'm kinda upset today because neighbors moved and left their dog!! Pretty white pit about 9 months old. I came home with groceries and there he is outside sniffing another neighbors door and porch with a cut chain leash (neighbor had a pit too, he used to play sometimes with their pit). At first I thought he just got lose somehow but then when I really looked at the chain leash I could see that wasn't the case. I went to look for the rest of the leash so I could hook him back up but I didn't see anything anywhere. It appears they just cut the leash and he was running around like crazy (he looked so glad to be finally free to just run); he kept running around in circles and then he'd stop and look at me, like, "let's play"! I put down my groceries and I tried to get ahold of that leash (bad, bad, bad idea - he thought I wanted to play and pulled me clean into the air!!! I skinned my knee trying to survive this wild thang). Anyway, I went and knocked on their door, no sign of life in the place that is usually thriving with kids, people. No cars and there is always at least one car in the driveway. ::sigh:: They fed him pretty well and so he looks to be in very good shape. Before I could coax him into the house, the reality of his freedom really hit him and he just took off into the sunset like a crazy person (he was mostly inside their house when he was little but as he got bigger, they had him outisde on a long chain). I hear these dogs need good exercising?? If I see him again, I'll try to coax him in with some food but the way he was looking, that kid's gone with the wind!

Last edited by justhere; 01-12-2009 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 06:04 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
I'm kinda upset today because neighbors moved and left their dog!! Pretty white pit about 9 months old. I came home with groceries and there he is outside sniffing another neighbors door and porch with a cut chain leash (neighbor had a pit too, he used to play sometimes with their pit). At first I thought he just got lose somehow but then when I really looked at the chain leash I could see that wasn't the case. I went to look for the rest of the leash so I could hook him back up but I didn't see anything anywhere. It appears they just cut the leash and he was running around like crazy (he looked so glad to be finally free to just run); he kept running around in circles and then he'd stop and look at me, like, "let's play"! I put down my groceries and I tried to get ahold of that leash (bad, bad, bad idea - he thought I wanted to play and pulled me clean into the air!!! I skinned my knee trying to survive this wild thang). Anyway, I went and knocked on their door, no sign of life in the place that is usually thriving with kids, people. No cars and there is always at least one car in the driveway. ::sigh:: They fed him pretty well and so he looks to be in very good shape. Before I could coax him into the house, the reality of his freedom really hit him and he just took off into the sunset like a crazy person (he was mostly inside their house when he was little but as he got bigger, they had him outisde on a long chain). I hear these dogs need good exercising?? If I see him again, I'll try to coax him in with some food but the way he was looking, that kid's gone with the wind!
Oh no!!!! I can't believe that they left him behind. Can you call them? If they have a house phone it might be forwarding? Maybe they are coming back for the dog tomorrow? Since he got away you might want to call the police to let them know and they can alert the animal control. Poor baby, it is going to be cold tonight. He might return though; they do that a lot.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
call McKamey Animal Center

McKamey Animal Care and Adoption Center

This is where we adopted Daisy

Old 01-13-2009, 06:11 AM

364 posts, read 1,112,168 times
I hope it was some sort of misunderstanding. A stretch I know but I hope so.

I have read tons of stories of animals being left due to the forclosures and families not being able to take care of the animals. There was one story of an animal shelter where everyday they found animals tied to their gate and other times people threw them over the gate. I can understand hard times but how do you treat an animal that way, heartbreaking.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:32 AM

600 posts, read 2,259,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
call McKamey Animal Center

McKamey Animal Care and Adoption Center

This is where we adopted Daisy
McKamey is not the place it was supposed to be. The cages for incoming dogs are way too small and cramped. They have had several parvo outbreaks due to lack of disenfecting thier cages. I'd be leary of them at this time. They were also supposed to be a "no Kill" facility, when in fact that is not true.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:52 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
Oh this is sad and probably just gonna get worse. Maybe keep some kibble on the porch and he may start coming "home" long enough for you to catch him? Bless you for trying and being concerned. Ppl now days just keep on about their business.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by u4icmusic View Post
McKamey is not the place it was supposed to be. The cages for incoming dogs are way too small and cramped. They have had several parvo outbreaks due to lack of disenfecting thier cages. I'd be leary of them at this time. They were also supposed to be a "no Kill" facility, when in fact that is not true.
curious to know how you came about this information -

Old 01-13-2009, 04:46 PM

600 posts, read 2,259,753 times
CARE, the non-profit that adopts out animals, has a slew of issues with McKamey. It's also been widely reported in the Times Free Press and on the tv news.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 PM

635 posts, read 1,686,161 times
DH is trying to contact the family, says he has a cell #. Keeping the kibble outside is a great idea! We'll get some tomorrow. Late last night before I was going to bed (it was really late) I thought I saw a kitchen light on over there and thought, "Oh, I was wrong!". Today, it was dark valley days with a tumble weed again - there's no one there. Maybe someone just stopped by to pick up a few things or whatever. I've haven't seen hide nor hair of anyone, not even the kids who used to have a ton of friends stopping by regularly (I've kinda been hawking more than usual because I want to be able to tell someone over there about there dog). Usually one of their daughters would bring the dog over on our side every other day or so, so that he could really run because we have a big field on the other side of us. Haven't even seen her...

I'd be willing to watch him until we could find the family or someone whose lifestyle could support a 9 month old pit. Really pretty dog (kinda looks like Buster Brown in a pit version), lotsa playful energy~ Between DH's bad knees and my back (eyeing skinned knee), that pit would run us into an early grave

Old 01-13-2009, 09:56 PM

246 posts, read 754,684 times
Call this number for immediate assistance for the dog

[SIZE=6]1 757 944 1110
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga