Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:36 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,105 times

Advertisements

2K: Starting to run out of pictures, but both shores can get ice cream quite close by. Bike paths on both sides, lawn parks for blankets, music , etc.
Very family outdoor activities. North shore sunset.
. .....................
.Sorry for the delay . Will leave a light on for ya .!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 11:35 AM

114 posts, read 391,380 times
Default New Chickamauga Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT View Post
2K: I will give you a 99% NO on this lock . It has been major construction there to lenghten it up to about 220 feet for larger yachts & multi barges.

The new Lock is to be 660 x 110 and it will facilitate commercial traffic. You would not want to lock through in a kayak or canoe. The inflow/outflow of water would probably be to turbulent for something so small.

To see what it is supposed to look like when complete go to Chickamauga Lock

Old 01-05-2009, 12:19 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,683,240 times
I believe there is a launch site at Coolidge Park for kayaks. Outdoor Chattanooga, with their soon to open HQ right there, will certainly be expanding the facility.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:50 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Durn, ya guys are making me 'home sick' for that area...

Great posts, photos, and links in the previous posts.

One bike ride did w/ a friend was to start at Lookout Mtn, ride down, stop at a tavern for cool refreshment and great burger, ride over to other side of the river by the little park there [Coolidge], take another relaxing break, and meander back through town, hitting great Mexican restaurant, and bugger back to top of Lookout Mtn, taking break at the historic site [can't recall name - a few state memorials, old house ].

Recalled seeing quite a bit of others riding out Hwy 11, south of town towards Trenton, and up 136... way more better shaped riders than this hound!

Old 01-09-2009, 09:45 PM

We've got one humdinger of a road race - 3 State 3 Mountain Challenge 3-State 3-Mountain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If8JBVxoA84

Old 01-10-2009, 08:33 AM

600 posts, read 2,260,962 times
Did you sign up for the race Tridad?

Old 01-10-2009, 08:49 AM

I'm not much a hill climber (yet) let alone ready to take on a mountain - but maybe someday

Old 01-10-2009, 11:26 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,802 times
Highway 27 is 4-lanes from Chattanooga to Highway 68 junction, about 15 miles north of Dayton, with wide shoulders that I have seen bikers on in the past.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:45 AM

137 posts, read 431,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kayaks
Is there a place to land a kayak to visit downtown or North shore?
Yes, there is a kayak launch at Renaissance Park, just west of Market Street Bridge. You may also be able to tie up at the pier, though that's where boats usually tie up. I'm not sure about the rules about that one. An easy walk from the launch at Renaissance is Clumpies. Here's my review for it:

"With ice cream chains like Cold Stone and Marble Slab popping up all over, it is often hard to find the individuality and creative atmosphere of local parlors. The ice cream at Clumpies is not particularly better or worse, but the experience as a whole has that personal touch that makes the difference between the McDonalds and the local burger joint. The few times I have enjoyed a treat there the staff have been friendly and the tables have been spotless. The decor is somewhat hippy-esque, undoubtedly due to its North Shore location, and even has a noticeable rural touch. There are a variety of flavors, some more unusual than others, so you can go for your personal favourite or go out on a limb on a choice like Key Lime Pie (quite good, I might add).

"I only have one complaint, and it really is more like a suggestion. Clumpies is adjacent to Coolidge Park, but a quick walk across a parking lot and road is still required to get there. It would be great if they would set up a stand in the park itself so that a dad can give his child a few dollars to run over and get an ice cream (which would never happen currently what with the frequent cars driving past). This would not only increase their sales but also improve Coolidge Park.

"All in all, though somewhat expensive, Clumpies is a good idea for an ice cream lover on a hot summer afternoon (or even in dead winter, as there are many enjoying ice cream inside that time of year) especially if you are already at Coolidge or have walked across the Walnut Street Bridge."

Downtown there's Cold Stone, which is rather expensive. On option is to walk up to the Bluff View Art District and get a delectable delight at Rembrandt's.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:30 AM

19 posts, read 61,598 times
The flights are booked, we're Chattanooga bound. What residential areas would you suggest we check out for being able to walk out the front door and hop on a quiet road for a bike ride? Soddy-Daisy looks like one option. Others? There is a house for sale on Suck Creek Road (SPLIT's hidden gem bike road) that faces the river. Is this too good to be true - are there downsides to living on Suck Creek Road?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga