Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 04:24 PM

109 posts, read 435,424 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We live in CT and are coming down to Chattanooga for a few days to experience the city. My husband is coming on business and the kids and I are tagging along. I have seen pictures of Chattanooga online and it looks like a beautiful city. I would appreciate some tips from the locals on must see places for a homeschool mom adventuring with an 11 year old boy and an 8 year old girl. We love the outdoors and don't want to go to the tourist areas. Also, some tips on local restaurants where the locals eat would definitely be appreciated. A good margarita joint would be helpful too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 09:46 AM

600 posts, read 2,249,045 times
The Tennessee aquarium and Rock City are must sees. Also dinner at the Chattanooga Choo Choo is great fun. The waitstaff get on stage with a band and sing in between serving their tables. The restaurant is called the station house. We also have a childrens' Discovery museum and an Imax theater near the aquarium that are rather nice.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:31 AM

849 posts, read 2,943,602 times
Also, try a search for restaurants on this message forum. There are a lot of threads about restaurants, something for everyone. Here's one to get you started.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chatt...attanooga.html

Old 03-29-2009, 09:51 PM

35 posts, read 129,929 times
The restaurant selections linked to in the previous post are excellent. Makes me want some Shufords!

As far as things to do, there are plenty of hiking trails on Signal Mtn that are amazingly gorgeous. Most of them overlook the TN river at some point, and many have their own waterfalls as well.

If the Civil War interests you at all, there was a significant battle fought in Chattanooga, so there are all sorts of markers all over town, as well as parks and old forts on Signal and Lookout Mtn. If I were you, I would see Rock City, even though it's technically a tourist attraction, but there's nothing that matches it in the country.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:36 PM

7 posts, read 22,644 times
As for a margarita joint, it depends on where you are staying. If you are downtown, then venture across the river on Hixson Pike a little ways to Las Margaritas. If you are out near the mall, then try Cancun on Shallowford road. Cancun has great fajitas too.

As for sightseeing a little off the beaten path, the Chickamauga battlefield is about 20 minutes out of town and is great for biking and learning about the revolutionary war. For hiking, try Cloudland Canyon, which is close to an hour away. Back in town, Lookout and Signal Mountain each have good hiking trails.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:42 PM

137 posts, read 428,349 times
There aren't really "tourist areas" in Chattanooga, per se. There are places that tourists go, but locals go to the same places just as often. The only places that's pretty squarely a solely tourist attraction is Ruby Falls.

There are many, many nature preserves to see: Chattanooga National Park on Lookout Mountain, Lula Lake Land Trust, Cloudland Canyon State Park, the Tennessee River Gorge, the Tennessee Riverwalk, Audubon Acres, Elsie A. Holmes, Reflection Riding Arboretum, and the Chattanooga Nature Center. Yup no shortage there. I agree that the riverfront and Tennessee Aquarium are must sees, as well as the free or nearly free sites on the top of Lookout Mountain: Sunset Rock, Point Park, and the Natural Rock Bridge.

A whole day could be spent running through all the sites involved in the Civil War. Look at these two links:
from:1 Broad St, Chattanooga, TN 37402 (Tennessee Aquarium) to:Lightfoot Mill Rd to:S Crest Rd to:GA-1/Lafayette Rd/US-27 to:GA-2 to:N Bragg Ave to:W Brow Rd to:E Brow Rd to:Hardy Trail to:Old Wauhatchie Pike/TN-318 to:35.019945,-85.338106 to:1 Broad (http://tinyurl.com/cyobht - broken link)
Chattanooga and Chickamauga National Military Park map

Old 03-31-2009, 07:31 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,618,049 times
Try Snooper's Rock in the Prentiss Cooper Park (backside of Signal Mtn). Beautiful view in the woods. Maybe a bit of hiking too!

Snoopers Rock - Scenic Overlooks on Waymarking.com

Mullins Cove Loop Dayhike

There's a ranger station there so if you need directions or anything you should be ok. Hope you all have fun!

When are ya'll going to be here? If it's warm enough we also have a pocket wilderness with some good swimming holes you can EASILY hike to.

http://www.outdoorchattanooga.com/497.htm

Old 03-31-2009, 01:57 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,651,603 times
I was up at Prentice Cooper over the weekend for the River Gorge Trail Race - it was some good wet muddy fun!!!

Old 03-31-2009, 10:57 PM

246 posts, read 750,861 times
I just have to ask what city you are from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga