Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 01:56 PM

13 posts, read 47,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcAtee View Post
"If you can hang on it might be worth it."

$14 an hour worth it?

Half that if the temp service hires you.

Toyota put a bunch of people thru the hiring process, and offered them a job. At the last minute, told them they would be working for the temp service. Most of these people already quit their other jobs. 3 years of being paid half of what the regular production workers got paid, no insurance, no days off; the temp workers were laid off.

Good luck to all prospective VW workers. Get ready to bend over!
Geeez this is suppose to be a positive site. Take ur negativity elsewhere! No one said the hiring process was going to be an easy one. It is a NEW plant! Which means everyone is new there. Some confusion? Yea! But it is a great company with lots of growth opportunities.

If ue not interested in VW, leave our site! I'm just sayingggg!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 02:37 PM

323 posts, read 1,159,367 times
Cloudwalker4 I agree with you 110%!!!

Old 04-21-2010, 12:34 PM

45 posts, read 88,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudwalker4 View Post
Geeez this is suppose to be a positive site. Take ur negativity elsewhere! No one said the hiring process was going to be an easy one. It is a NEW plant! Which means everyone is new there. Some confusion? Yea! But it is a great company with lots of growth opportunities.

If ue not interested in VW, leave our site! I'm just sayingggg!
Here's some positivity for you. I hired in at Wal-Mart at $14.83/hr. Wal-Mart will start you out higher than VW will! What's the world coming to?

Old 04-21-2010, 12:59 PM

45 posts, read 88,983 times
Now, I'm not the type to blow smoke up people's butt and make everything sound rosey.

Chattanooga has a great downtown, mountains, killer AA baseball team. But, if you really want to work for an automotive manufacturer, take my advice from someone who has done it. DO NOT buy a bunch of crap and take on debt!!!! Pile money in the bank, go to college on the side (which may be hard to do with the rotating shifts), prepare for the bad times. When the bad times hit, get out! If they offer a buyout, TAKE IT!

Just my advice!

And $14/hr. sucks for the hard physical labor you will be doing and crap you have to put up with. Way too many egos and people trying to move up at any cost. Benefits won't be great either, because companies are scaling back benefits. Even Toyota was doing this.

Good luck everyone!

Old 04-21-2010, 03:32 PM

323 posts, read 1,159,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcAtee View Post
Now, I'm not the type to blow smoke up people's butt and make everything sound rosey.

Chattanooga has a great downtown, mountains, killer AA baseball team. But, if you really want to work for an automotive manufacturer, take my advice from someone who has done it. DO NOT buy a bunch of crap and take on debt!!!! Pile money in the bank, go to college on the side (which may be hard to do with the rotating shifts), prepare for the bad times. When the bad times hit, get out! If they offer a buyout, TAKE IT!

Just my advice!

And $14/hr. sucks for the hard physical labor you will be doing and crap you have to put up with. Way too many egos and people trying to move up at any cost. Benefits won't be great either, because companies are scaling back benefits. Even Toyota was doing this.

Good luck everyone!
Thank you very much.N ow you can go bye bye

Old 04-21-2010, 07:07 PM

6 posts, read 11,638 times
Wow! Congratuations on the Walmart job. I bet you are really excited. A friend of mine was just recently hired at Walmart too. He is really excited about everything Walmart is offering him. Just some of the positives: on-site child care, company credit union, on-site pharmacy (at discounted prices), company vehicle discounts, leasing program, relocation program, continuing education.......the list goes on and on!! He's also extremely excited about the opportunity for growth within the company. Right now, he gets to return the carts to the front door. Within the next 3 years, he gets to work the front register!! Heck, if he's even half as good as he says he is, he'll be stocking shelves in no time!!! (He can only dream of the day that he can station the greeter position at the front door!!)

All in all you are absolutely correct. That extra 83 cents an hour (and all the extra benefits that Walmart has to offer) is a great reason to get a job there!!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 7,943 times
You might want to check out the Newcomers Guide called "Chattanooga Now" that the Times Free Press just put out. You can access most of the info on their website, Chattanooga Now 2010 | Chattanooga Now 2010 | Chattanooga Times Free Press.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:18 PM

42 posts, read 101,673 times
GMCATEE, i gotta know man, what position did you get at walmart paying 14.83/hr? come on man, tell everyone on here what you do at wm for 14.83/hr.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:51 AM

65 posts, read 189,492 times
For real GM...Share your secrets! This site is all about sharing information so let us know what you are doing at Wally World! Please!

I am still looking for an ultrasound job. That hourly wage is half of what I make doing ultasound but I would totally work at Wal Mart for that while I pass the time looking for my medical job. I can't wait! Gonna fill out my application today!

Share with us!!!!! Thanks for being so helpful!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:07 AM

42 posts, read 101,673 times
hawkeye, when I first read ur post I thought "what is an ultrasound job? Is that something to do with hometheaters or something" not until I googled "ultrasound job" did I figure it out. Lol I need 2 just go back 2 bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga