Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:50 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,012,042 times

Advertisements

and in some counties not at all on Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 06:26 AM

851 posts, read 2,457,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylee827 View Post
You can't buy beer before 10am on Sunday
I thought that was a common practice?
Here in FL it was 2:00pm on Sundays, it may have been changed to noon. I'm not a drinker so I am not really sure on the time now. It was 2:00 when I worked in a grocery store.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:52 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
I thought that was a common practice?
Here in FL it was 2:00pm on Sundays, it may have been changed to noon. I'm not a drinker so I am not really sure on the time now. It was 2:00 when I worked in a grocery store.
It's fairly common practice in the Bible Belt as a holdover from prohibition and the old blue laws. I used to live in Kansas City, MO. They could sell beer/wine/liquor in grocery stores except on Sunday morning, and I believe they had to install a physical barrier between the alcohol and the rest of the store during off-limit times. Some stores had the alchohol in a separate room and they just locked the door or pulled down one of those metal security screens. Other stores blocked the aisles with things like bright orange construction fence or pedestrian barricades. Really kinda silly.

I don't know if TN has wineries, but they do have distilleries. For what it's worth, the Jack Daniels distillery is located in a dry county (Lynchburg). So they can make it, but you can't buy it or drink it inside the county (except for tiny commemorative bottles as allowed by a special state law).

I think you have to be drunk to fully comprehend the alcohol laws in some locations.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:22 AM

50 posts, read 106,084 times
TN alcohol laws are decent for being in the bible belt. Here in GA you can't buy any alcohol on Sundays except in restaurants. It is a real pain if you run dry on football Sunday.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,799 times
There is a really good winery just outside Chattanooga: [url=http://www.georgiawines.com]The Georgia Winery - Award Winning makers of Muscadine Wine[/url]
They have free tasting and produce over 30 varieties. Open daily except Sunday 10-6.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:55 AM

15 posts, read 70,004 times
Thanks for the info CWL! I'm moving to Chattanooga tomorrow and will make sure to take a trip down there soon.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,723 times
actually there are liquor stores north of Hixson, because there are 3 on Hwy 58 going into Harrison

Old 05-14-2011, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,214 times
How about the Georgia Winery? Only 20 minutes from Chattanooga- they have over 30 varieties- my husband and I love that place! Free tasting and beautiful scenery! You all should check it out- [URL="http://www.georgiawines.com"]www.georgiawines.com[/URL]

Old 08-14-2011, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali2Nooga View Post
I've searched the previous threads and don't see this topic really spelled out. I currently live in CA where we can purchase beer, wine, and liquor in the grocery store 24/7. Ninety-nine percent of restaurants in my town serve beer and wine, and you can bring your own bottle (i.e. a special bottle for a special occasion) that they will open and serve for a corkage fee. Also, you can have alcohol shipped right to your door. I'm moving to the Chattanooga area and want to understand the differences - not that I'm some alcoholic or anything, but I do really love wine, wine tasting, wine makers dinners, etc. and belong to a wine club where they ship different selections to you each month. I don't want to make some faux pas in a restaurant trying to order alcohol on a Sunday if it's not allowed or something. Can someone help me understand your local alcohol laws???

Also, where's the best place to buy wine in Chattanooga? Thanks!
Wish I could help u, been here 2 yrs & trying 2 deal w/ the difference. I came from San Diego (by way of upstate NY) & live in Rosssville, GA, just south of Chattanooga. I was checking on TN & GA laws when I read ur post, like ur name btw ;-D

Old 12-14-2013, 05:16 PM

42 posts, read 63,471 times
Default the best place to buy liquor, SOUTH CAROLINA, Louisiana, or Georgia.

Oh welcome to the armpit of the south..... Being from New Orleans, were we have drive thru daiquiri stores and liquor stores open 24/7 Louisiana cause you can get excellent food with it, South Carolina because it is cheap and Georgia because it is so close....... IMHO........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali2Nooga View Post
I've searched the previous threads and don't see this topic really spelled out. I currently live in CA where we can purchase beer, wine, and liquor in the grocery store 24/7. Ninety-nine percent of restaurants in my town serve beer and wine, and you can bring your own bottle (i.e. a special bottle for a special occasion) that they will open and serve for a corkage fee. Also, you can have alcohol shipped right to your door. I'm moving to the Chattanooga area and want to understand the differences - not that I'm some alcoholic or anything, but I do really love wine, wine tasting, wine makers dinners, etc. and belong to a wine club where they ship different selections to you each month. I don't want to make some faux pas in a restaurant trying to order alcohol on a Sunday if it's not allowed or something. Can someone help me understand your local alcohol laws???

Also, where's the best place to buy wine in Chattanooga? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga