Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 11:16 PM

12 posts, read 20,963 times

Advertisements

me and a couple friends are moving to chatt by may 2010, wanted to know the high crime or gen areas to avoid moving to? so I know what to stay away from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:13 AM

600 posts, read 2,259,627 times
Do a search and read the old posts. Nothing has changed here.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:08 AM

90 posts, read 330,035 times
You and I are in the same boat. Here's somethings my husband and I have used to research...
City-data has a lot of information and statistics on the city and surrounging areas. That's where I started to look. I also did a Google search for "Demographics Chattanooga, TN". You'll find a lot of city websites that break it down for you. If you really want to get creative, you can look at the school demographics and the amount of students receiving free lunches. There has been many studies that show the amount of students receiving free lunches is in direct relationship to the amount of crime for that particular area. Just keep in mind that this is not always the truth. Last but not least look at google earth/maps street view. I like to get a feel for the area by looking at the types of houses, buildings, stores, and landscapes. It's a tactic that is rather judgemental, but if you use it in correlation with the other information you have found it can be pretty reliable. Good luck with your searches.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:29 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,679,566 times
This is such a subjective question and can be interpreted badly by many readers. Most here will not answer a post like this.

Why not rephrase the question and tell us what you are looking for (instead of what you're not looking for) It's so much easier for someone to identify neighborhoods that have what you're looking for rather than ones that don't have what you're trying to avoid.

You want a generalization of the area to know which areas are bad which will lead you to believe that all other areas are good when that may not be the case (especially if you have certain needs and desire)

Old 07-01-2009, 11:36 PM

600 posts, read 2,259,627 times
Tridad is correct. Questions like yours usually turn into a race issue and that is not what this forum is about. Everybody know the parts of town that are not safe, and the areas that are having large gang problems, which seem to go hand in hand. The only true way to find the right neighborhood for you is to visit here and drive around and knock on doors like we did when we moved here. You may even want to rent for a year before you buy so you will know for sure exactly where you want to live.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 AM

12 posts, read 20,963 times
Thankls guys, we are looking into the red bank area if that helps. My googlefoo has been bad lately lol thats why I asked :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga