Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2007, 05:32 AM

27 posts, read 127,747 times

Advertisements

We (young retirees in mid-50's) are thinking of relocating from DC to Chattanooga. We like urban living - being able to walk to a lot of things - and are thinking of Atlanta.

The primary question is - is this a place that one can (for the most part, though not entirely) do without a car. Are there a fair amount of pedestrians around? Is everyday (grocery, drugstore, etc) shopping available?

Which neighborhood(s) would be best?

Secondarily is a quesiton about affordability - We would like a two bedroom condo (approximately 1,300 square feet or so), move-in ready for up to about $500,000. Is this realistic?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 08:17 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,623,676 times
Looks like the north shore is your best bet for downtown living here in Chattanooga. While it is not downtown, it is just across the river. There are alot of new housing developments downtown, but not much to offer in the retail department. Do a google search on Coolidge Park, North Shore, North Chattanooga. That should give you an idea of the area. $500k will get you something wonderful in a fantastic location. New condos going up and developing fast. Greenlife Grocery(organic/wholesome), CVS pharmacy, nightlife, bookstores, cafes/coffee houses/eateries. Very pedestrian and urban with lots to offer to both tourists and locals. I'll PM you a link on the condos.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:59 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,770,169 times
Chattanooga is a bit on the small side in my opinion, so if you're looking for classic urban living complete with sidewalks, an so on, then Atlanta would probably be a better deal. Lastly- PLEASE don't move down here asking if 500k will buy a condo. 500k is insane money here, and once people from up north start throwing money around like water, the prices go through the roof. So for now, mention that you only have around 150k.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:51 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,735,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBINDC View Post
We (young retirees in mid-50's) are thinking of relocating from DC to Chattanooga. We like urban living - being able to walk to a lot of things - and are thinking of Atlanta.

The primary question is - is this a place that one can (for the most part, though not entirely) do without a car. Are there a fair amount of pedestrians around? Is everyday (grocery, drugstore, etc) shopping available?

Which neighborhood(s) would be best?

Secondarily is a quesiton about affordability - We would like a two bedroom condo (approximately 1,300 square feet or so), move-in ready for up to about $500,000. Is this realistic?
I personally like Chattanooga more than Atlanta because its downtown is much more pedestrian-friendly. I think jkmewright has given you the names of some wonderful urban neighborhoods in Chattanooga.

Atlanta's got some cool urban neighborhoods, too, but not downtown. Midtown, on the other hand, is hopping. the Atlantic Station development is really cool. It's located next to Georgia Tech and has the nation's largest IKEA, Dillard's, Target, Publix, movie theaters, and 100 other shops. It includes 5,000 luxury townhouses, apartments, and high-rise condos in a 46-story tower. The development was built where an old steel mill was located. A new bridge was built to access a MARTA station across the interstate.

At any rate, I still prefer Chattanooga because of its slower pace. But if you want big-city life, you might want to look at Atlanta.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 22,135 times
Default Lofts or Apartments

I currently live in the Hamilton place area but work downtown. It can be very inconvenient with traffic and all. I would like to relocate to the Northshore area but I can't seem to find the name of any lofts or apartments in the area. Can any of you name any specific ones? Thanks!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 07:12 AM

PM'd ya gray!

Check out the MLS listings as well as those for condos

Last edited by jkmewright; 09-13-2007 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: more stuff

Old 01-21-2008, 07:38 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,656,179 times
what happened? did you visit?

Old 01-21-2008, 10:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,776,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Atlanta's got some cool urban neighborhoods, too, but not downtown. Midtown, on the other hand, is hopping. the Atlantic Station development is really cool. It's located next to Georgia Tech and has the nation's largest IKEA, Dillard's, Target, Publix, movie theaters, and 100 other shops. It includes 5,000 luxury townhouses, apartments, and high-rise condos in a 46-story tower. The development was built where an old steel mill was located. A new bridge was built to access a MARTA station across the interstate.

At any rate, I still prefer Chattanooga because of its slower pace. But if you want big-city life, you might want to look at Atlanta.
If it helps anyone decide, I live in Atlanta and I and numerous people I know actually go out of our way to drive up to Chattanooga when we want to spend a day in a nice pedestrian friendly downtown area.

Yes, Atlantic Station is ok - we feel it's sorta sterile and sanitized looking, but it has some interesting shops and so forth. I wouldn't recommend buying a condo there though - too pricey for the size, and you're right next to the "connector" area -the most congested part of Atlanta (with all the car exhaust that goes with it). The Virginia Highlands neighborhood has a nice village feel with unique shops and restaurants, too. But with all that, downtown Atlanta is just completely saturated with hundreds of bums on any given day. Some are drunks, some addicts, others mentally challenged, and some are just professional bums, but any way you look at it, you just have a hard time enjoying Atlanta's Aquarium and Centennial Park area due to all of this - and you can't get anywhere near the Five Points area or you'll be completely surrounded by it.

So - we go to Chattanooga.

I'm very impressed with what they've done around the Aquarium area. I even like the Aquarium there more than ours - it's more interactive and has natural-themed exhibits in it. Ours does not, though it's larger. The surrounding riverfront area is very nice and there are some great restaurants close by. What is that one... Big River? I liked it, and it's a block from the Aquarium. The free electric shuttle carts you to all the major tourist stuff. It was reasonably clean, and only had one guy ask me for money on the street! LOL (here it would be about 8 guys on a 3 block walk). My only beef was that glass bridge that takes you to the bluff arts district - NOT a good design idea for those afraid of heights.

If I could swing a way to move to Chattanooga, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But due to my job I can't. There are some new intown condos in-between the Aquarium and bluff arts district as well, though I'm not aware of any grocery stores downtown that residents could walk to (?).

Anyway. That's my take on it. Even Atlantans vote for Chattanooga!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:15 AM

Great post Greg. So glad you liked your visit. Maybe one day you can stay a little longer

Old 01-22-2008, 11:28 AM

17 posts, read 73,499 times
As a born and raised "Atlantian" I would encourage you to do some crime searches in the different Atlanta neighborhoods for anyone considering a move ITP (inside the Perimeter). Atlantic Station has some great lofts, but unfortunately a fairly non-desirable crowd has started hanging around there at night. Since the re-vamping and moving of a lot of Atl bars and clubs, a few have re-located around atlantic station. I have a few friends who live in the area and spent a pretty penny to live there upon its opening (~550k!!) now, a couple of shootings later the property value, while still pretty strong is going down and they do not feel as safe. If you would like to look at the crime rates and crime mapping google the Atlanta Police Dept. It provides some great insight.

This is all why we are moving to chattanooga!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
View detailed profiles of: