Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 05:15 PM

450 posts, read 1,350,626 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot of threads, but haven't seen the specific answers to my questions. My husband is considering a job opportunity at BCBS-Tn. We have two young children (1 elementary, 1 preschool age), and would be looking for a neighborhood convenient to his work (would love less than 20 min commute), and shopping (Target, etc). While I don't love cookie-cutter suburban neighborhoods, that's probably where we'd be most comfortable - we want lots of kids around, playing outside, would love neighborhood sidewalks and pool, etc. We would like to stay in public schools if at all possible (don't necessarily need the BEST, but safe, good schools). Our price range on a home is ~$225k - $275k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 08:46 PM

646 posts, read 801,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVmommy View Post
I've read a lot of threads, but haven't seen the specific answers to my questions. My husband is considering a job opportunity at BCBS-Tn. We have two young children (1 elementary, 1 preschool age), and would be looking for a neighborhood convenient to his work (would love less than 20 min commute), and shopping (Target, etc). While I don't love cookie-cutter suburban neighborhoods, that's probably where we'd be most comfortable - we want lots of kids around, playing outside, would love neighborhood sidewalks and pool, etc. We would like to stay in public schools if at all possible (don't necessarily need the BEST, but safe, good schools). Our price range on a home is ~$225k - $275k.
You would love East Brainerd.Westview elementary school is a super school.You would be close to hamilton Place,the Interstate and yes target.I have lived here my whole life and I will tell you crime is very very low.They have built a new high school also that is opening this year.It has everything downtown has in your backyard.There is walking parks for the kids,and like I said it is super safe.We would love to have some new neighbors out here.Check it out

Old 06-11-2009, 09:11 PM

340 posts, read 1,512,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
It has everything downtown has in your backyard.
Suburbanites. So blissfully unaware . . .

I would agree that the OP is looking for EB though.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:01 AM

450 posts, read 1,350,626 times
Thanks! What is the approx. commute from E. Brainerd to BCBS (I haven't visited yet and don't know where BCBS is located. Is it downtown?)

On the MLS site I was using, it lumps Brainerd and E. Brainerd together - is that a problem? How do I know what's in E. Brainerd? Can anyone recommend a real estate search site that shows the school assignments for each property?

Old 06-12-2009, 07:04 AM

340 posts, read 1,512,013 times
If the house looks like new construction, it's in E Brainerd. I think you can also narrow your search to 37421, which covers pretty much just that area. East Brainerd is also sort of defined as being east of Interstate 75.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:09 AM

623 posts, read 1,542,402 times
Quote:
Look in North Chatt, within the 37405 zip. It's a nice, older neighborhood without all the McMansions and white vans. The residents tend to be professionals around 40 with younger children or recent college grads. That'll also place you closer to the new Blue Cross building on the ridge near downtown, if that's where he will be working, or a few minutes from downtown/the Golden BCBS building. Normal Park is a local magnet school in the area, but I'm unsure of how you get your kid into there. If not there the kids would probably go to Rivermont or Red Bank, which are fine schools but not nearly has thought of as Normal. Good luck and don't be afraid to venture away from the neo-burbs.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:40 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,024 times
Quote:
why don't you rent for 6 months to a year before buying? that way you can get a lay of the land and decide for yourself what is best for your family.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:08 PM

264 posts, read 819,495 times
www.realtycenter.com is a good website that lists by schools...but note that with the new east hamilton middle/high school opening up, the lines have just been redrawn and some of the listings may still be using the old districts, so verify on the hamilton county board of education web site under zoning to be sure www.hcde.org/ . i would go with the ooltewah or snow hill or apison or east brainerd or colledgedale areas. (i know that seems like a lot of choices but they are really not as far apart and distinct from one another as it may seem....snow hill elem, apison elem, or westview elem would be my choices). if you need advice on preschools in that area let me know.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 AM

3 posts, read 7,249 times
Check out Windstone gated golf community. It has a pool, tennis and is in a great school system. Usually homes are higher than your price range but b/c of the recession there are a few from $219 on up. There are a few new builds but most are custom executive type homes. Also, lots of families moving in and the neighborhood association is great about planning family activities...10 minutes to I75, 20 min to downtown chattanooga, 15 minutes to Hamilton Place Mall area.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:02 AM

3 posts, read 7,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbyheart View Post
Check out Windstone gated golf community. It has a pool, tennis and is in a great school system. Usually homes are higher than your price range but b/c of the recession there are a few from $219 on up. There are a few new builds but most are custom executive type homes. Also, lots of families moving in and the neighborhood association is great about planning family activities...10 minutes to I75, 20 min to downtown chattanooga, 15 minutes to Hamilton Place Mall area.
There is a Target near Hamilton Place, PF Changs, Bonefish, Homegoods...ect. Nice shopping area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga