Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:28 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,024 times

Advertisements

Allstate Newsroom - Press Kits - Fifth Annual "Allstate America's Best Drivers Reportâ„¢" Reveals Which Cities Have the Safest Drivers

If you see bad drivers, be sure to check the license plate. There's a good chance they're from Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 12:02 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,654,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
Allstate Newsroom - Press Kits - Fifth Annual "Allstate America's Best Drivers Reportâ„¢" Reveals Which Cities Have the Safest Drivers

If you see bad drivers, be sure to check the license plate. There's a good chance they're from Florida.
LOL *lips sealed* LOL !!! We USED to say, "That crappy driver MUST be from Georgia!"... not anymore

Old 07-23-2009, 08:42 PM

now if I could only learn how to spell safe properly :P

Old 07-23-2009, 09:51 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,654,480 times
Yah well, you are in TN so...

Old 07-24-2009, 06:11 AM

600 posts, read 2,260,545 times
What about the Chattanooga drivers that don't pull up into the intersection while making a left hand turn at a green light? They wait behind the white line for the next green arrow, when they could have made the left hand turn on the regular green light. Do they have bad driver education here or what?

Old 07-24-2009, 06:49 AM

I noticed that soon after moving here - drivers do not pull out into the middle of the intersection when making a left hand turn. My initial thought was that this was stupid. I was tempted to lean on the horn or at least crowd them.

In Miami we usually go 2 deep in the intersection thus maximizing the space and pushing through as many cars as possible. I've seen as many as 3 or 4 cars run through that light even after it turns to red. It's like a train that can't be stopped!

After seeing how things are done here, I now prefer the Chattanooga way. For one, it's safer. Since most accidents occur in the intersection, having cars in the intersection when the light turns yellow/red is a great way to reduce accidents.

I urge everyone reading to consider adopting this method of driving. Don't be in such a hurry. It won't kill you to wait and extra 90-120 seconds to get where you're going.

Besides, by adopting the Chattanooga way of driving we all can continue to enjoy car insurance rates that are 30-50% cheaper than South Florida.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:35 PM

The problem with that method is that it is incorrect. You are supposed to pull up into the intersection on a green light when making a left hand turn.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4icmusic View Post
The problem with that method is that it is incorrect. You are supposed to pull up into the intersection on a green light when making a left hand turn.
That's a big negative here in the State of Tennessee. Please refer to page 31 of the Tennessee Department of Safety Driver Study Guide where it clearly states that when making a left hand turn to "stay behind the stop line or crosswalk until you can fully complete the turn without the risk of blocking the traffic flow".

In other words...stay outta that intersection until you can make a complete turn!

Last edited by Jon F Moss; 07-25-2009 at 11:21 PM..

Old 07-27-2009, 06:56 AM

I think this is a matter of interpretation. The sentence before the one you quoted says "Don’t enter the intersection if traffic ahead may keep
you from completing the turn before the traffic light changes." If there are no cars in front of you, then there is no traffic that will prevent you from completing the turn.

The manual also states "Pay close attention to the traffic light cycle. If the light turns yellow while you are waiting for oncoming
vehicles to clear the intersection,
DO NOT proceed into the intersection."

I find that to say that if the light is still green, then you have the right to proceed into the intersection.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:15 AM

That may or may not be so, but it does not say one must enter the intersection while waiting to make a left turn.

I don't believe a police officer would cite a driver if they did either, but observations indicate that traffic is more orderly when fewer cars are in the intersection during yellow/red lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga