U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2007, 08:27 PM

390 posts, read 1,601,034 times

Advertisements

Silly question, but in your experience are most houses furnished with gas or electric for cooking? I really miss the gas stoves in CA, but here in S. FL there is mostly electric.....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 09:52 PM

47 posts, read 170,837 times
I don't know for sure, but I think probably most houses have electric cooking. Electric is much cheaper than gas in Tennessee. All the houses we looked at when house hunting had electric. We, unfortunately, have gas heat. Our heating bills were just too high this winter - close to what we had in Michigan.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:00 AM

81 posts, read 288,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbiego View Post
I don't know for sure, but I think probably most houses have electric cooking. Electric is much cheaper than gas in Tennessee. All the houses we looked at when house hunting had electric. We, unfortunately, have gas heat. Our heating bills were just too high this winter - close to what we had in Michigan.
If you don't mind me asking, what area or town are you near and do you have natural or propane gas?
Thankyou

Old 04-25-2007, 05:04 AM

81 posts, read 288,966 times
What can I say......it's early I see the original post was for Chattanooga.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:22 AM

47 posts, read 170,837 times
Whoops, I missed the Chattanooga too!

ALML - I am in Cookeville and we have natural gas.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:12 AM

1,300 posts, read 4,286,905 times
Default Type of heating system predominate in central and east Tennessee

From the threads that I have read on this forum, it appears that natural gas central heating systems are not predominate in central and east Tennessee. In every home I've ever lived in, we have had a gas central heating system, so I'm not familiar with any other type of system. Are electric powered heating systems predominate in central and east Tennessee? Are they similar in function and design to a gas powered central heating system? Is an electric powered heating system less costly to operate?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:35 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,471,063 times
Smile Mostly elec,- gas back-up

B.B. I would say electric and TVA supply is reasonable. Other people in our Develolpment have added a Gas Tank bottle for stove or even the option for a small bedroom fireplace. A extra Back-Up is not a bad idea for winter emergency, not that we get ice storms.
Our neighbor was a cook and likes big gas stove, but my wife not able to smell if any LEAK and afraid of accident. We do have one empty foundation along Rt #27 where the house was Blown off the basement, also one recently in Melbourne, Fla.
Wife wanted the newer glass top stove and heats very fast and looks modern.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:46 AM

390 posts, read 1,601,034 times
Thank you all for your responses! Very helpful. Here in FL, the neighbor with the gas stove was the most popular person on the block when the power went out during Hurricane Wilma in October 2005 I know it is a different world!

Have a great day everyone!

Old 11-26-2009, 12:30 AM

63 posts, read 170,957 times
I live in the Harrison area between 58 and Snow Hill. My HVAC is electric but my water heater is tankless and propane and my stove and fireplace also. I love my propane. When the power goes out, we have heat from the fireplace, the ability to cook but since the hot water is heated by propane but has an electric start-up, we have to take cold showers. I have huge tank that we fill once a year for a family of 6 with about 25% remaining. Not bad if you ask me. However, my electric can go as high as $300 in the coldest winters with that HVAC and I wish I were on gas heat because it feels better in my opinion. For the most part, our thermostat is set to 67/68 and we use the fireplace kill the morning chill in the house. My house is 2888 square feet for reference. Hope that helps.

By the way, last month my electric was $100 since I didn't use the HVAC at all. That is what it would be if I didn't have to worry about anything more than ceiling fan and basic household items. I think that the common use of the HVAC in this area is silly because when it hits 30 degrees, they seem to be less effective. I would build with in floor heat or look to alternatives if I had more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga