Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 05:00 AM

6 posts, read 15,137 times

Advertisements

Hello, new VW employee here in process of working in Germany and trying to coordinate a relocation from metro Detroit. I think I've got a pretty good handle on the town and neighborhoods based on my ~10 days in town , but my nightly free time has given me a few questions.

1. What are some good resources for finding homes for rent? I've found Waldorf, River City Mgmt., and Scenic City Rentals (and Craigslist to alesser degree), but not too much beyond that. Preferably something with a website I can peruse while I'm still in Germany.
2. Why is it so hard to find homes (buy or rent) with a basement? Are they hard to dig? flood often? or do locals just not understand them? I'm at a loss where to put the litter box for my indoor cats!
3. Why do so many homes have a 1 car garage? Isn't America the land of cars?
3. Are there any concentrated Asian communities (preferably Thai, Filipino, or Chinese)? I thought no from my prior research, but I noticed Comcast offers a Filipino on Demand option. I thought that was a pretty strange thing to offer with such a low Asian population.
4. Is comcast the only cable company in town? Conversly, how reliable are the dish companies in the area? I've never had a dish, can you get high speed internet through it? Is it still only 2 dish companies (DirectTV and Dish Network)?

Thanks in advance. This forum has been a great resource!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 06:41 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,875,245 times
N.P. : Future WELCOME to our county . Seems like you answered most of your questions already. Can read our daily newsparer online & look for classifieds rentals / sales . Chattanooga Times Free Press | Home Page
1) About 50% of the houses here have basements. Same mix for our new development. Really depends on the SLOPE of the lot, to keep one or two sides out of the ground. . It is a good back-up plan during a servere storm for shelter.?
2) Yes those are the names of TV suppliers at this time . Believe AT&T , also our electric supplier EPB laying future fiber optic cables thru county . Had Direct years ago & also traveling , good co , had COmcast for two years, can be expensive . Using Dish now , quite impressed , all automatic, if signal lost during severe storm, comes back in 5 iminutes . do not have to wait four hours for someone to cut up a fallen tree on a county road.!
3) One car garage must be on smaller city lots , or older entry level house . Two is quite standard with FOUR stalls now on upscale houses.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:50 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
This website helped us find an apartment last year: Chattanooga Apartments - Find Apartments in Chattanooga.

SPLIT did a good job with your other questions so I don't have anything more to add.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:15 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,024 times
Split - he's your man! If you want to speak with a rental agent, send me a DM for a good referral.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:38 AM

6 posts, read 15,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
This website helped us find an apartment last year: Chattanooga Apartments - Find Apartments in Chattanooga.
Thanks, I've been there. But with the money I'd have to spend to rent a garage and a place big enough to hold a house worth of stuff, I may as well stick to renting a home (less noise probably too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
Split - he's your man!
Yah, pretty good. But he missed a couple. Can anyone contribute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natepartlan View Post
- Are there any concentrated Asian communities (preferably Thai, Filipino, or Chinese)? I thought no from my prior research, but I noticed Comcast offers a Filipino on Demand option. I thought that was a pretty strange thing to offer with such a low Asian population.

- I've never had a dish, can you get high speed internet through it?

Old 09-08-2009, 07:06 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
We have a friend who rents his 3 BR home for $1200. In our experience, that was pretty average (some higher, some lower). We rented a one-bedroom and stored our stuff. It is much cheaper for us.

Someone else will have to answer the first one. I have no idea. Too new to the area. But the second - Dish does offer satellite phone and internet (I googled it), but I don't know any more about it than what I read.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga