Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 03:20 PM

24 posts, read 79,963 times

Advertisements

If you know what BARF stands for - you are for me! I feed a natural, raw diet to my show dogs and am looking for a supplier in the Chattanooga (or surrounding areas). I don't so much feed the BARF products, as I want someone that can get me the cuts/supplements/organs that I need and want that I can buy in bulk.

I never thought to post the question here, until doing my search and found someone in the same situation post for Memphis and got lots of suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 06:36 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,024 times
I do t know what it is. But I gotta know now. I gotta know!

Old 10-17-2009, 07:50 PM

LOL...I feed my dogs a raw diet based on lots of research. BARF is a Bones and Raw Food diet, but I don't so much follow that as my own path that works for me and my dogs. However, if someone here knows where to buy BARF foods, then I will know where to go get the stuff I need. The closest raw feeder co-op is up by Nashville and while I do buy in bulk, I'm not sure how far that, or Murfreesboro, is for me. Some of the things I look for are the enormous Tom necks, Duck Frames, Rabbit Frames, Chicken Scraps, organs, et al. Kinda nasty, but my dogs have never been healthier or looked better so I stick with it.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:17 AM

23 posts, read 70,846 times
I feed my dogs raw also. They too look amazing - if anyone wants to hear a major turn-around story thanks to a change in diet, I have it.

I have friends who hunt, they bring in organ meat and other cuts they don't want.
I find pig stomach, chicken hearts & livers at the grocery store.
Turkey necks, chicken legs, wings... the whole chicken at one store or another.
Pork & the occasional bit of beef aslo come from the store. Sometimes I can get organic beef - usually a "cooking bone" which is great for them to work the marrow out of - from a friend who has a grass-fed beef farm in my area (his farm is in Lyerly, but he delivers all the way to Chattanooga).
On busy days, or days when the meat wasn't thawed yet, we give them salmon from a can. One dog didn't respond well to mackarel, and the price of it kept going up so salmon works fine.

I weigh, package and freeze my dog's meals myself. I re-use the same old containers from buying butter or sour cream rather than plastic bags.

I'd love to have sources for more things though! I'd go in on buying a whole cow to freeze up if others want to do the same.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:44 PM

Grey-Day, I don't do a lot of fish as my dogs just don't care for it. They get the wild salmon oil, but that's every day and their only source. I did find a co-op up by Nashville that specializes in raw feeding and found out they get the cuts of lamb, beef shanks, etc that I like. Once I actually get into Chatt and go buy a few months worth, I always cut, package and store my own...and reuse the containers after they've been washed out.

My sister in TX breeds beef cattle and I could buy half a cow at any time, I just always found it was easier storage wise to get the variety I wanted every few months...but if I had someone to split a side with, that'd be different.

I'm not sure how long of a drive Nashville is tho...

Old 10-19-2009, 10:37 AM

23 posts, read 70,846 times
I'd be fine with splitting a cow, or with carpooling to Nashville to get the other cuts of meat you mentioned. I think Nash is about an hour and a half from Chatt - it does get longer if someone goofs up on the mountain area there though.

My dogs aren't show dogs - they are just a couple of very lucky, very spoiled mutts. I try to keep the price of their diet down to a level really not much more expensive than a decent* kibble - much cheaper if you count that they've not needed to see a vet in four years.

Decent Kibble: would be defined as any that has meat as the first three ingredients, which has become nearly impossible to locate these days as most are mainly cornmeal and by-product meal - whatever that is.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:03 PM

That's why I buy in bulk...I find that overtime, I get it cheaper. I had someone here in Houston, TX that I split my bulk meats and organs with and found that I could feed my crew of 5 for around $2 or $3 per day total...and they are big dogs and got only organic meat cuts. I will post here again when I get ready to move to see if you are still interested. Thankx!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga