U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 04:52 PM

155 posts, read 292,520 times

Advertisements

I just moved to the Chattanooga area a few months ago, and just officially got my own place last week. So today I finally made a full run to Bi-Lo, with my Bi-Lo club card in hand, and was really disappointed in the prices of things. Few good club deals, and many prices higher than I've experienced elsewhere (I'm from Washington State). Is this true at Food Lion too? Is there anywhere, besides Walmart, to get cheaper groceries at a quality store around here? What are your guys' experiences?

Edit: FYI this was the Bi-Lo on Hixson Pike, between the North Shore and Red Bank.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 06:31 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,744,033 times
Hmmm... I always thought that BiLo was generally cheaper than most of their competitors (Publix, Fresh Market, Food Lion) when using their Bonus Card. Make sure you're looking at the individual prices to compare with what you're used to paying (i.e. the sales tax here is pretty high)... and see if the prices you've paid are with the Bonus Card. You do have to be pretty careful as Bi Lo has a reputation for being among the least expensive. I go to the Super Bi Lo out on Ooltewah-Ringgold Rd.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:44 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,279,517 times
A lot of things are higher here than they were in Pennsylvania (where we left). But gas & electric is cheaper so I guess it all balances out.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:30 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,109,291 times
how about your car & home owners insurance?

Old 11-28-2009, 01:01 PM

155 posts, read 292,520 times
My car insurance went down here, which is nice. And rent is a heck of a lot cheaper around here than where I'm from... so it more than balances out for me too. But was still surprised to see the grocery prices. Guess I was mostly just disappointed in the lack of Bi-Lo club savings. When I shopped at Safeway in Washington, there were always REALLY good deals for club members.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:49 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,579,060 times
I think grocery prices went up everywhere this past 8 months or so. My brother was just complaining that in FL everything was going up in the grocery stores (he said as he was packing to move here to TN ), my friend in CT was saying the same last month and I have noticed in increase in several of my staple products in the past few months.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:16 PM

340 posts, read 1,367,801 times
Bi-Lo is in Bankruptcy and is trying to make themselves look good for potential buyers. I would guess they have raised prices recently in a strategic move . . . However . . .

There just isn't much choice / competition in Chatt for the prices to be lower. That's really the reality:

"Bi-Lo is the market leader in Chattanooga, both in terms of number of stores and market share. With 36 stores in the Chattanooga DMA, the chain has roughly a 37 percent market share as reported by Metro Market Studies in their 2006 Grocery Distribution Analysis and Guide."

- Bi-Lo Unveils Expansion Plans in Chattanooga Market | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/retail-trade/food-stores/4262417-1.html - broken link)

That's an insane market share for a city of this size.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:18 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,279,517 times
Car insurance went down for sure, TriDad. The homeowner's insurance is about the same. Rent is higher here too, but housing prices are lower. I think it all balances out. The property taxes are half what we were paying in PA, and the no sales tax is great. However, we paid 6% sales tax and no tax on food, drugs, or clothing. We're bleeding local tax money here in Chattanooga. Probably all a wash in the end though.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:42 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at Lido Beach)
1,953 posts, read 3,973,458 times
I moved away from Chattanooga less than 2 years ago. While there, I was disappointed with the lack of upscale, major grocers (for a city that size). Bi-Lo was dominant and most Bi-Lo stores (at that time) were run-down and old (I won't even talk about Food Lion, which was worse). Prior to moving, Bi-Lo opened a nice, large store in North Chattanooga (in Red Bank) and was planning to open a new store in the east Brainerd/Apison area. Of course, with Publix opening new stores in Chattanooga the entire grocery scene has changed (for the better). I imagine Bi-Lo is under tremendous pressure from Publix.

I also will also mention that the new Greenlife store in North Shore was incredible and was MUCH improved from their previous tiny location. I even hear that Earthfare is coming to Chattanooga. A lot of great changes just in the last few years. Now, if Chattanooga can get a Costco...

Old 11-30-2009, 02:48 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,109,291 times
Earthfare is opening very soon in East Brainerd!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga