Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:20 PM

137 posts, read 430,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
A smaller NW Georgia town, maybe? Could give you what you want, while only being an hour away from either city, too.
Besides the whole "not too many religious 'conservatives'" thing.

To a certain extent, stares at "Happy Holidays!" isn't necessarily a sign of religious conservatism. I'm so liberal that liberals think I'm conservative, and I find "happy holidays" perplexing. The only relevant holidays I can think of are Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and Christmas. No one around here celebrates Kwanzaa, and only a percent or so celebrate Hanukkah. Furthermore, if the point is to avoid a religious reference, I don't think Christmas poses a threat: it's been so commercialized and mythologically tampered with (Santa Claus, etc) that it's very easy to celebrate a 100% non-Jesus version of Christmas. (Otherwise, Christians wouldn't be compelled to write CHRISTmas all over the place.)

This is relevant because around here, most people say "merry Christmas" just because that's what most people say. Saying "happy holidays" is out of norm and thus seems to be making a special statement, though, as before explained, it's not much of one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 08:52 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,305 times
I agree with everything you said, Blue. I say Happy Holidays because I spent six years near NYC. You can't tell what religion anyone is unless they adhere to the clothing requirements of a particular religion. I have been in the middle of the "Greeting" debate a lot this year. I prefer to say something other than Merry Christmas except on Christmas Eve and Day. It's my preference after years up north and having many non-Christian (Muslim, Jewish, agnostic, etc.) friends.

I haven't met with any issues around Chattanooga. It's usually more rural folks who don't know many people of other religions.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:55 PM

10 posts, read 29,252 times
Screw Happy Holidays

Old 12-24-2009, 09:42 AM

4 posts, read 18,379 times
Thank you for your answers! It was very interesting to hear your opinions. I'm originally from a huge city, times bigger than Atlanta (and that's why I am wondering if Atlanta or Chattanooga are diverse enough for me). I guess that is why I cannot get used to living in rural Alabama. We've lived in San Diego, CA before and it was good enough for me. We've also lived in Charlotte, NC and was way too country-like and hardly had any diversity.

I do not like the fact that Christmas is so commercialized. I respect the religious celebration of Christmas, but I do not see a point in celebrating Christmas if you're not religious. Plus another Christmas on January,7th. I think one needs to filter what he chooses to celebrate.
My big family holiday is New Year's Eve with its version of Santa.
Since these holidays are so close together, it makes sense to say Happy Holidays!

Old 12-24-2009, 11:13 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,305 times
Caramelka, given everything you said, I honestly don't think Chattanooga is the best fit. I do really enjoy Chattanooga, but if Charlotte wasn't a good fit, I just don't think Chattanooga will be either. Have you visited?

My husband and I moved from northeastern Pennsylvania (NEPA), and I spent several years commuting to NYC. After that experience, I'd say Chattanooga is pretty vanilla. It's a perspective thing. It just takes a little more effort to meet people of different ethnicities and to socialize with them.

You seem to have a great attitude, and I wish you the best no matter where you end up.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-25-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I respect the religious celebration of Christmas, but I do not see a point in celebrating Christmas if you're not religious.
Yeah, I feel the same way. Otherwise you end up with this weird boring mish-mash of half-way feelings. Sometimes.

I'm really really into diversity. I spent three weeks last summer at a theological program in Atlanta focused on interfaith stuff (and social justice). I discovered that's it's really good to live in an environment exposed to all sorts of different cultures and ideas because everyone's usually better in the end after such exposure. However, in places where diversity is the norm the total culture can slip into something similar to a non-religious Christmas: a non-committal mish-mash of things that ends up being nothing much at all. That's why I hate big ambiguous sprawled cities and chain restaurants (besides Macaroni Grill). I took a Southern Liturature course this semester and learned the value of living in a really rich, homogenous culture, even if some or several aspects of the culture really suck. So now I relish living in the South, though all the time I hope for the benefits of diversity as well.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:41 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,339,102 times
I really don't understand the issue of saying happy holidays. To me, it's a nice greeting. It also covers Thanksgiving through New Year's.
Merry Christmas involves one day and I think Hanukah covers 7 or 8 days.
I'm happy when someone greets me with anything nice.
It's not like they're telling you to go to hell or anything like that just because they say something other than Merry Christmas.
People get too uptight over this.
I'm more a spiritual person than a churchgoing person. In my area, we have a Baptist church. When someone asks me about church, I tell them I'm not a churchgoer. I used to tell people I was Catholic or Jewish just to shut them up but then they tried to convert me. In smaller areas, it seems to be worse but I think in as many cities as I've lived in, most people leave you alone and if they're smart, they won't push there religion on anyone else.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:16 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,681,562 times
If someone told me they thought Charlotte was boring (slow) and they're not particularly interested in outdoor adventures, I would say that Chattanooga may not be the place for them either.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:55 PM

10 posts, read 17,239 times
I am a Licensed Massage Therapist in Florida. I would like to relocate to Chattanooga but I wonder to what extent the old stereotype of massage as sinful persists in the bible belt? How would you say Chattanooga rates as a viable town in which to build a professional fully licensed massage practice? I would appreciate any feedback.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I would like to relocate to Chattanooga but I wonder to what extent the old stereotype of massage as sinful persists in the bible belt?
I would say approximately to no extent at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga