Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 01:25 PM

13 posts, read 44,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercupnectar View Post
My husband and I are looking at property in Signal Mountain and just love the area. We have noticed that there is not much diversity, ethnically speaking. We are a mixed couple and our children are therefore mixed. We are looking at this area because the people were so nice when we were there on vacation last year as well as we like the Baylor School. Can anyone tell me if we would be well received in Signal Mountain. We have visited a few other areas of Tennessee and were met with ambiguous hostility, even in this day and age. Any frank and honest information would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Buttercup,
Yes, Signal Mountain is really lacking in ethnic diversity, but from what I can tell, that's not because of racist attitudes on the mountain. I personally would love more diversity here, and I think that's probably a normal mindset here. Of the non-white people I know here, I don't know of any negative feelings or actions towards them due to their race. There are lots of interracial families due to adoption.

Interestingly, when watching the movie "Ghosts of Mississippi" recently, my husband and I realized that Byron de la Beckwith lived on Signal toward the end of his life. Upon further research, we learned that Signal residents kept their distance and did not want to be associated with him. We felt reassured that he wasn't here because of a Klan presence or something. It sounded like he was definitely an outsider on Signal Mountain, due to his racist views and actions.

We would love for you and your family to move here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga