Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:43 PM

17 posts, read 40,034 times

Advertisements

I've been searching the apartment guide and have noticed quite a few cheap/affordable apartment complexes in signal mountain. However my only concern is that it's a bad area.

Can anyone give me some info/insight about Signal Mountain. i.e; Jobs, Stores, Shopping, Eating...etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 07:05 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
Overall, Signal Mt. is considered a GOOD area and has some of the best public schools in the metro area. But even the best towns have a few rough corners.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:23 PM

13 posts, read 44,203 times
Actually, Signal has the reputation as being quite wealthy. Crime seems to be very minimal. As jwkilgore mentioned, the public schools are some of the best. I will say that it is quite isolated, however. It's a good place to move if you're looking to "get away from it all." There's one grocery store, a handful of restaurants, and not much else. Of course, there are plenty of restaurants and stores at the bottom of the mountain, but not so much ON the mountain. It's a super friendly and very peaceful place as long as you're okay with being a bit isolated.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:25 PM

21 posts, read 55,784 times
Sounds like you're a spammer. Signal is one of the best areas and actually, quite a high-end neighborhood to move into.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,601 times
Default Attitudes of the residents of Signal Mountain

My husband and I are looking at property in Signal Mountain and just love the area. We have noticed that there is not much diversity, ethnically speaking. We are a mixed couple and our children are therefore mixed. We are looking at this area because the people were so nice when we were there on vacation last year as well as we like the Baylor School. Can anyone tell me if we would be well received in Signal Mountain. We have visited a few other areas of Tennessee and were met with ambiguous hostility, even in this day and age. Any frank and honest information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:41 AM

352 posts, read 883,087 times
I really don't know much about signal Mtn. Except, they are "new" money and tend to be a little snobbish depending on the area. I think if you have money, you will be OK It's not about race to them, lol.
The posting from above I will have to clear up. Signal Mtn can also include the bottom of the mountain, which, their are areas that you wouldn't want to go into around dark. Also, Signal Mtn consists of more than just the "money" area. There are alot of residents who have been there from generation to generation living all around the money.
Depending on what you have to spend, lots of really nice neighborhoods, but they cost. And, yes , Baylor is an excellent school.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:21 PM

611 posts, read 1,997,826 times
Signal has gotten the rep of an elite community full of rich people. It's really not. The is a wide range of incomes up there. I lived there for a while and still have family that lives there. Yes you can find homes well over a million but I can take you one or 2 streets off the brow and show you trailers (not that there's anything wrong with that ).

I just ran search on the MLS and found 4 homes under $100K and 27 under $200K.

Back to the original questions. I think the apartments you are finding are at the base of the mtn. There are a ton down there, they are mostly older and lower in rents.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:54 AM

48 posts, read 111,576 times
I have posted this recently, but one of my main tools for determining if it is a bad neighborhood is to check the National Sex Offender Registry - Family Watchdog website to see if there are sex offenders in a close proximity of the place you are considering. I just checked the website and there is only one sex offender listed on the registry for Signal Mountain (that is an excellent ratio). When it snows, the road going up Signal Mountain closes frequently and the proximity to shopping isn't the best. Other than that, from what I have heard it is a safe envirnonment and great schools.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 AM

6 posts, read 10,710 times
There isn't much racial diversity but there are a lot of educated people and i've found that to translate into more open mindedness. There are also several (that I know of) adopted children of various racial backgrounds. You will be fine ON signal. However as a pp mentioned there are not a lot of apts ON the mtn, but in red bank off mtn creek rd there are many. This area is not the same as being ON the mtn, not the same schools etc. in this economy, there are homes that have gone unsold and so are now for rent. Look at mlsarealistings com and realtor.com in 37377. Good luck!

Old 02-02-2012, 03:06 PM

7 posts, read 28,459 times
Would agree with lovingtheweb. Mountain Creek Rd is almost nothing but apartment complexes, but that is the bottom of the mountain, not up on Signal Mountain. So you would not be able to send any children to Signal Mountain schools from down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga