Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 04:42 PM

8 posts, read 12,815 times

Advertisements

Hi ,

My husband and I are planning to move to the Chattanooga area from Milwaukee, Wisconsin next year. We are currently looking for at least 20 acres of farmland to lease. We are visiting the area sometime this June and would like to lease any farmland we are interested in for the remainder of this year and all next year.

I've been trying to search for any farmland available for leasing and have not come across any advertised (except for the very few on agriseek.com and on forfarmers.com). We are intending to farm fresh flowers and are very interested in the Chattanooga area.

If anyone knows of how I am to approach this search of farmland, please help me out. Or, if you or anyone you know have any available farmland available to lease/rent, please let me know. I appreciate your time in reading this and your thoughtfulness in your responses.

Thank you,
D.Vang
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
Wow. Would a real estate agent be helpful for this? I just have no clue.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:26 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Question Plateau area .?

I would guess the only open area of 20 acres would be UP on the Plateau north west of the city . There are some strawberry farms , etc in this region.
Also known for good soil.

. Your best lead would be to check with the River Gorge Trust people for creative land usage. There have been some natural farming started on Williams island , just west of the city . Tennessee River Gorge Trust

. Again welcome to the forum ,& keep us posted. There is quite a active Master Gardner program here in Hamilton co & big display , with flowers at the Sept county fair. Some of our church friends are members. . The 20 acre request is sort of unique , but could be a win - win idea .! My friend is in charge of the city Food Bank , program & they have new greenhouse, for plant sales, etc.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:48 PM

246 posts, read 754,684 times
You need to know the land first. I'd suggest you contact the county Agricultural Extension Office to see where the flowers you want to plant will actually grow. Location would be important to you. Some flowers will not grow in the mountains as well as others, and yet some do much better in the valley. Here on the mountain we had a brief April frost that destroyed our grapevines and some flowering trees for the whole year now. Don't forget, we're on a lot of rock both valley and mountain. And a lot of the valley is wetland.
Once you get location figured out, you need a realtor to ensure you know you aren't renting someone's property that doesn't even belong to them! Good luck.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:42 AM

8 posts, read 12,815 times
Thanks to all of you for all of your comments and suggestions!! I really appreciate it!! Definitely, some very great leads and tips, all of which I will look into.

My husband used to sell fresh cut flowers/bouquets in Seattle's Pike Place Market for several years but moved to Wisconsin so I could finish my degree... we are very excited to get his flower farming back in business and are very interested in the Chattanooga area. All the flowers that we will be selling will be locally grown and sold locally.

I appreciate any and all help/advice/tips/suggestions you may have. Thank you so much for your time!

Old 05-25-2010, 03:09 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
There are two local credit unions that specialize in farm/rural loans. We went with Farm Credit when we financed our house lot out in the county. There's also Chattanooga Ag Credit. I think Farm Credit only does loans and insurance (crop failure, etc.), but Ag Credit also has farmland for sale listed on their site. You might be able to contact them for rental information. Even if they don't list rentals themselves they might be able to point you in the right direction; maybe they can give recommendations for real-estate agents who specialize in farmland.

And you DEFINITELY want a real-estate agent for something like this. The fee they'll charge will be money very well spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga