Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 05:31 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,477 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had the experience of driving a uhaul and then hiring a company to unload your belongings? Right now I have an estimate to rent a Uhaul for $1100 from Bradenton to Ooltewah. I am thinking I could use help on both ends loading and unloading the heavier items.

Does anyone have experience in doing this same thing, actually hiring folks to load and unload?

Also, if anyone has recently moved using a moving company, I'd be interested in knowing what you paid them to move approximately 800 miles.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 07:25 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,785 times
I've never heard of that. One problem is breakage... if you use your friends and family to load/unload (what I've typically done) then you're just out of luck when your cousin drops your HD TV down the stairs. If you hire a BONDED moving company, then they'll have breakage insurance.

I don't know if you'd be able to find bonded loaders/unloaders. Maybe contact an actual moving company and see if they do this? Doubtful, because they'd have no control over the actual shipping. They'd be afraid that you'd break something when you jumped the moving van over the partially open drawbridge, then try to blame them for the breakage during unloading. But worth a shot.

And speaking of moving vans, here's some advice from personal experience:
- If you need a larger van, go ahead and splurge on one with the diesel engine. The money you save on fuel should more than make up for the difference. Just realize that it's slightly harder to find diesel fuel to purchase. We used the largest size gas truck on a trip from Jackson, MS, to Kansas City, MO, and the fuel cost was several hundred dollars more than what we expected.
- If you are making your reservation through the national web site, CALL THE LOCAL RENTAL PLACE TO MAKE SURE THEY ACTUALLY HAVE WHAT YOU RESERVED AND WILL BE OPEN THE DAY YOU NEED IT!!! We reserved a van in advance. When we went to pick it up at the local franchise, they were closed. Even if they had been open, there was no large van on the property (only small vans and trailers). We called the local number and could hear the phone ringing inside the building. We called the national number, and they tried to contact the local franchise, and we could hear the phone ringing inside the building. We finally had to locate a different place on the other side of town to get a van. Because of this delay we were still loading the van after midnight. And it took us weeks to sort out the extra charges.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 AM

340 posts, read 1,511,751 times
We used this type of service when we moved to Chattanooga. We had loaders and unloaders for each end and drove in between ourselves. We did it this way because it was a 600 mile move and did save a lot in the transport cost. In general I wouldn't do it again though. I didn't get the impression that these guys were really pro movers (on either end), didn't have their own trucks etc. The other issue was that the estimates were pretty far off although we correctly described our home size and furniture etc so it ended up costing us more on both ends. A couple items got scratched, especially on the move in, and while we 'got some money off' it wasn't really handled professionally.

When we moved locally in Chattanooga we had pros, and they came well prepared, were quick, efficient, and although one very large furniture item was dropped accidentally they immediately reported it, picked up the piece and had it professionally fixed to original condition at no cost to us.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:34 AM

Thanks for all of the great info and experiences. The best lessons taught are ones you learn from other's misfortune.

I appreciate you both sharing your personal experience on that.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmarian View Post
When we moved locally in Chattanooga we had pros, and they came well prepared, were quick, efficient, and although one very large furniture item was dropped accidentally they immediately reported it, picked up the piece and had it professionally fixed to original condition at no cost to us.
I'll second this. We moved from KC to Chatt because my wife was transferred within her company, so they footed the bill for the movers.

We packed some precious items ourselves and carried them in our vehicles. Irreplaceable heirlooms and such; insurance can't pay enough to replace your wife's antique ceramic rabbit given to her by her great-grandmother. The movers (United) arrived and hit the house like a tornado. They had our entire house organized, boxed, labeled, and loaded on a truck before we could have packed a single room. Everything was well packed and secure. I stayed behind to load a few things they couldn't carry into a rented UHaul trailer (cleaning supplies, food, motorcycle, etc.).

They arrived in Chatt a few days after we did and reversed the process. My wife stood at the door, read the labels, and directed the unloaders to the correct room. They carried the heavy furniture up the stairs. We had to unpack the boxes and assemble beds ourselves, but that was expected.

I have shivers just thinking about trying to do that by ourselves or with friends.

The first time I moved was into a college dorm. I fit everything I owned into an '82 Chevy Camero. This last time we filled an 18-wheeler trailer... we have WAAAY too much junk.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:04 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,243 times
Two men and a truck offer this service. We could have them load the truck in Wisconsin and then we drive it down and have them unload it in Tennessee. They charge an hourly rate for this service. However like others have said you are completly responsible for your stuff. If something is broke you will have to replace it or fix it yourself.

We just had them move everything and drive it. Then I don't have to worry about it. Good luck to you.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:58 AM

I am a little torn now on what to do. We can pack the boxes no problem. Our home in Florida is one level and an eaxy move and drive out. The home in Ooltewah is going to be a nightmare, steep driveway, and 3 stories, no basement.

I think I will contact the 2 men and a truck team also to see what they charge for the load/ unload service. The drive isn't so bad, about 9.5 hours so I could handle that. I guess I am a little concerned with the risk of breakage, I wonder if there is an insurance company out there that covers that for the big items?

I got some quotes yesterday for a load/unload/drive service. The one I feel most comfortable with is around $3000, not the least expensive, and not the most. To rent a uhaul, it is going to be around $1200 + I estimate $400 for fuel costs (does anyone think I am off base on the fuel cost?) for a 650 mile trip. So I need to find out what two men and a truck charge for the load/unload service.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:19 AM

Fuel cost = distance (get from Google Maps or similar) / miles per gallon (single digits for large gas trucks, low double digits for diesel) * cost per gallon. Total miles / mpg to get total gallons, then gallons * price at pump to get total cost. Then round up.

Speed has a SIGNIFICANT effect on how many miles per gallon you get for a large truck. They're not very aerodynamic, so the wind resistance at high speeds is significant. So don't speed... run the speed limit or less.

And breakage during transport has been exaggerated. If you pack well (padding around breakable stuff, etc), load tightly (no loose things to flop around), tie everything securely (lots of straps, ropes, and bungie cords), and drive conservatively (go slow over railroad tracks, no speeding, no taking shortcuts through ditches), you probably won't break anything.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:12 AM

340 posts, read 1,511,751 times
Two men and a truck is a reputable company, and I am guessing they are liable while they are handling your stuff, but probably not in transit. You should ask them to clarify. Also we found a better truck deal at Ryder, nicer truck than Uhaul. There are coupons on-line too if you poke around.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:42 PM

20 posts, read 61,479 times
We're going to use the ABF system. They bring the trailer and leave it. We've hired help to load at each end of the move. No driving a truck and having to stop at weigh stations and dealing with crazy traffic and mountain roads. It is half the cost of a commercial national mover and since they are so poorly regulated, who knows what it would really cost in the end. Not the ideal but it looks to be the best option for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga